Any Asians here? I want to ask a question about Asians and skin color.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 04:01 pm
@High Seas,
It's more like 3, 7, 11 & 14. Wink
High Seas

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 04:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Now if only we can train Goldman to use this system, he's going to be a great hit with the Asian ladies he's pursuing Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 04:09 pm
@High Seas,
Gee, you're just beautiful! You must be a number 5.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 04:12 pm
Many of us at a2k have met Cicerone Imposter. I've met him twice myself, in Chicago and in San Francisco. I'd be surprised if any of us described him as orange.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 04:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I described him as BEIGE.

Why are you people getting fixated so much on skin color?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 04:54 pm
@High Seas,
I'm not going to ask them about skin color. I'd greet them in Chinese and maybe ask them Chinese language questions.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 05:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I've seen his pic:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/MAvericker/a2kpic.jpg
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:30 pm
Why do a lot of Asians try to whiten their skin and get eyelid surgery if they aren't trying to make themselves look Caucasian?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
You said orangey brown.

You are the one who is immersed in skin color as a descriptive.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Now I asked something different.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Why do a lot of Asians try to whiten their skin and get eyelid surgery if they aren't trying to make themselves look Caucasian?

Michael Jackson tribute band performers.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:32 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
"a lot of Asians?" News to me, and I've lived on this planet for 75 years.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 09:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but I live in Hong Kong and this is definitely the intention behind a lot of this type of surgery, I see advertisements for it all the time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 09:52 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Didn't know that, PQ. Have visited Hong Kong quite a few times, but do not remember seeing anything approaching "many Asians" looking to "whiten" their skins.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes- I was told a lot of people are obsessed with having "big eyes".
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 06:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Didn't know that, PQ. Have visited Hong Kong quite a few times, but do not remember seeing anything approaching "many Asians" looking to "whiten" their skins.

There's quite a lot of billboards in Mong Kok advertising eye surgery with before and after shots, and I've seen a few people with whitened skin, but not too many. I don't think there's an 'obsession'. It's certainly not as big as, say, caucasian girls making their skin orange with fake tan or getting boob jobs etc.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 08:27 am
The "whiter is better" thing isn't restricted to Asia. You'll find it in most Latin American countries, too. I've been living in S. Korea since 1996 and, yes, they have buttloads of skin whitening treatments. It's silly, but whatever.

That said, it occurred to me that I don't have a single skin color. The skin on my face and my ass may as well be from different people, judging by color. My ass is as white as a sheet, but my face stays pretty tanned year-round. The whole concept of a person having a single skin color is screwed up from the outset.
High Seas

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 09:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
That's probably because you don't pay much attention to ladies' fashion and beauty advertising. Skin whitening/bleaching products are a huge business:
http://www.pri.org/thumbnail.php?file=whiteshanghai500.BBC__Large_466x260_563973980.jpg&size=article_medium
This ad is from Shanghai, but similar ads can be seen everywhere: http://www.pri.org/world/asia/skin-whitening-big-business-asia.html
High Seas

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 09:24 am
@FBM,
As per cosmetics manufacturers' statistics fewer than half of all women in Asia and Latin America use skin-whitening products. The big business is in Africa:
http://fashionbombdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/BD-SkinBleaching.jpg
Ceili

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 11:01 am
When I was in Thailand, I saw skin whitening products for sale in 7-11s. I never saw an adult wearing it. I did see children with their faces slathered in white goo in some of the smaller villages.
I was fascinated by the newspapers in India. Firstly, the writers are so much more eloquent than ours. The largest section in the papers were the personal adds, and almost every add people advertised that they were fair (complexion).
It struck me that this was not neccessarily done to be more "white", more that it was similar to our western world's not too recent discrimination on colour amoungst our own nationalities. The kings and gueens, or royality/rich of days gone by once did the same thing, wearing white makeup/zinc or lead based paints. The whiter you were meant the less time you worked outside as a labourer or farmer. It wasn't till very recently that tanned skinned became a status symbol, meaning you could afford to take a warm vacation or while the hours away at a pool side, while the rest of us poor shlubs worked.
0 Replies