Any Asians here? I want to ask a question about Asians and skin color.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 11:06 am
@High Seas,
Learning about these kinds of minutia is interesting, because people of all cultures seem to spend so much money on trying to look "pretty." I never worried about how I looked; I'm the end product of all my ancestors that was never chosen by me. Unless individuals have disfigurements, I really don't understand the necessity to change one's looks.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 04:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I saw an episode of the Tyra Banks show in which they were talking about people of color trying to whiten their skin- they have skin whiteners and bleaches for blacks, Asians and Hispanics.

I think people do this because they are insecure.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 06:14 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

As per cosmetics manufacturers' statistics fewer than half of all women in Asia and Latin America use skin-whitening products. The big business is in Africa:
[imghttp://fashionbombdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/BD-SkinBleaching.jpg[/img]

Yeah, in Asia and Latin America a lot more girls are born with light skin and don't need it. They're envied by the rest. It's silly, IMO, as I much prefer darker skin. I've explained to all my Korean girlfriends how much money, time and effort Western people spend on tanning. They were all nonplussed at why we would want to have dark tans when all they wanted was to have lighter skin. Funny world. The grass is always greener on the other side, I guess.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 06:16 pm
@FBM,
FBM, That's been the irony of human skin color; many whites love the sun to get a suntan, and dark-skinned folks use whatever to whiten their skins.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't get why some people of color want want white skin when it doesn't tan well and many white don't age well.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
Having tan or dark skin has historically been associated with working in the sun all day doing hard farm labor. It usually meant you were a slave, serf or peasant. People prized white skin as a sign that they did not have to do such hard work. It was a sign of wealth that you didn't have to grow your food, but rather had the means to pay or force others to do it for you. It was a status symbol that eventually bubbled over into racism.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 08:51 pm
@High Seas,
That girl's lips are so amazing.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 09:32 pm
@Green Witch,
Were the Chinese who worked on the San Francisco raliroad considered slaves?
0 Replies

beibarys

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:25 am
let leave the name as natural skin color
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:36 am
From the official Crayola Crayon website:
Code: Flesh received a name change to peach in 1962 to recognize that not everyone’s skin is the
same shade.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:42 am
@beibarys,
I asked some more Asians-they said beige or tan is okay. Let's leave it at that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:40 am
@Green Witch,
I'm a black college graduate-you don't have to tell me that. Smile
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:10 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Having tan or dark skin has historically been associated with working in the sun all day doing hard farm labor. It usually meant you were a slave, serf or peasant. People prized white skin as a sign that they did not have to do such hard work. It was a sign of wealth that you didn't have to grow your food, but rather had the means to pay or force others to do it for you. It was a status symbol that eventually bubbled over into racism.

Bingo! You nailed it! That's exactly what my previous girlfriend (the extremely pale Korean one) said about her brother, who majored in agriculture and is a farmer. The whole family laughed at him because he was so dark compared to the rest of the family who had office jobs. Astute observation! Cheers for that!
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:18 am
@FBM,
My mistake-I thought you'll were talking about black folks.
FBM

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 07:13 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

My mistake-I thought you'll were talking about black folks.

Nah, I don't think I've referred to black folks yet. I could, if you wanted. I grew up in Mississippi in the 60s. Mind you, I wan't a cracker; I got threatened by both blacks and whites for openly supporting civil rights in junior high, when desegregation finally made its way to the backwaters where I lived. Back to the point of skin color, everybody in our school knew (the real crackers couldn't admit it openly, of course) that Sharon (no last names here) was far and above the hottest chick in the whole school, and she was a "high yellow". Her chief rival was Dee, who only lost out because she was dark as coal. They were both hotter than my descriptions could do justice to. (Maybe because I was still getting used to puberty at the time.)

And don't get me started on Angela. Damn.

What were we talking about again? Kinda got lost in the memories... Embarrassed
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 07:34 am
@Green Witch,
Are you talking about black folks? I know that already. Or are you talking about Asian farmers?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 08:52 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

From the official Crayola Crayon website:
Code: Flesh received a name change to peach in 1962 to recognize that not everyone’s skin is the
same shade.

I've seen a lot of girls whose buts looked like peaches. Very nice.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 12:00 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Was it fuzzy? LOL
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi-how are you? Are you from Vietnam?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:05 pm
he's American/