Any Asians here? I want to ask a question about Asians and skin color.

Lash

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
The only thing that's offensive is all your similar race-separating questions. Just ask your questions...stop starting threads that single people out by race.

To answer all your questions about Asians, Christians, blacks...:

No, maybe 4.
spidergal

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm Indian. That also makes me Asian. So what color do you think I am? Look at my pic and tell, please. Just curious.

And yeah, I would be offended if you called me orange or some other such thing.
Lash

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
What conversation would you take place in that required you guessing at a color of a person's skin?

Here is a similar conversation:
dumbass: Hey, exactly what color would you say JGoldman is? A mocha? A latte?
Lash: You're kidding, right?
dumbass: No, I want to know what color we should say he is.
Lash: Why? That's stupid.
dumbass: I just do. Would he be mad if I called him cappuccino?
Lash: No, but I'll clock you if you do.
dumbass: Why?
Lash: Because. it. is. stupid.
dumbass: What are you mad about?
Lash: dumbass
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:57 pm
@spidergal,
How about beige? I've seen other Asians calling themselves that.

Is beige an appropriate term?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:58 pm
@Lash,
Christianity isn't a race. ANYONE can be a Christian.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:22 pm
J,

Here's the question I think you are trying to ask but haven't figured out a way to word.

Quote:
I'm trying to create a comic book depicting characters of mutilple nationalitites and ethnicities.

How does an artist go about selecting the colors depicting the various ethnic characters without offending anyone with stereotypes?

It is a very valid question and concern. If that is indeed the discussion you are attempting to have with us, then let's have at it and forget all this other defensive nonsense.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
I am ecru...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:20 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm probably puce, but I never remember what that word represents.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:23 pm
I think this has gotten out of hand. JGoldman is working his works, and doesn't understand a great deal.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:31 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm plaid.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:31 pm
@spidergal,
Yeah, but ya see, that doesn't count. When you say Asian, you have to read the clown's mind and figure out what he means by Asian, as opposed to any reasonable, comprehensive defintion.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:50 pm
So what are you going to do if two Asians show up and they disagree? How many Asians do you need for a consensus. What if 100 Asians show up and 50 say one thing and other 50 say something else? The mind boggles.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:51 pm
@JGoldman10,
I realize this. It's the number that you asked about.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:53 pm
@Setanta,
People of the Mongoloid persuasion.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 10:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Are you going to respond to this?

Butrflynet wrote:

J,

Here's the question I think you are trying to ask but haven't figured out a way to word.

Quote:
I'm trying to create a comic book depicting characters of mutilple nationalitites and ethnicities.

How does an artist go about selecting the colors depicting the various ethnic characters without offending anyone with stereotypes?

It is a very valid question and concern. If that is indeed the discussion you are attempting to have with us, then let's have at it and forget all this other defensive nonsense.
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
Who persuaded them, and what constitutes being Mongoloid--unless, of course, you refer to the birth defect. I was gonna give you a shovel, but you have a positive talent for digging the hole deeper and deeper without outside aid.
FBM

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:49 pm
My current Korean girlfriend says she is yellow, and there's no reason not to use that word to describe her skin collor. It's not bright yellow like a tennis ball, of course, but of all the commonly used color words, yellow fits best. I suppose if you consulted a detailed color gradient chart that gives different names for every subtle shade, you could find something like 'dried orange peel #4' or whatnot, but neither she nor I care enough about it to do so.

The Korean girlfriend I had before that was white. Much, much whiter than I am. If anything, she looked sickly pale, kinda like...what's-her-name...in that movie...the one about hobbits and such...y'know, that one. I think she was a fairy or something. Anyway, that skin tone with pitch black hair and black eyes.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:50 pm
@Setanta,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid_race
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:50 pm
@FBM,
Some Chinese I met call themselves yellow.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 12:19 am
@Lash,
What about a billion?
0 Replies