Any Asians here? I want to ask a question about Asians and skin color.

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:29 pm
@ossobuco,
I asked a group of Asians- they didn't mind being called yellow, or some didn't care.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Then what should I call her, and the other ones with similar tones? Orangey brown or beige?

Call them by their goddamn names!

What is this focus you have on referring to people by their skin color?

Cycloptichorn
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm TALKING ABOUT PHYSICALLY DESCRIBING PEOPLE. I'm not talking about names.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:38 pm
Are there any other Asians here? Is it offensive to describe Asian skin color as beige?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
White people have more than one skin shade-how is this any different?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:51 pm
What is WRONG with you people? Don't you all know (skin) color is SUBJECTIVE?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

What is WRONG with you people? Don't you all know (skin) color is SUBJECTIVE?

I think it's pretty funny that you are assuming that WE are the ones who have something wrong with them.

Cycloptichorn
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You think what I am saying is funny? Then there's something DEFINITELY wrong with you.

How the HELL am I being racist? Am I using racist pejoratives against Asians or making fun of them? NO.

This thread DOES NOT BELONG in the RACIST folder.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm beginning to understand why you had some troubles over on the Yahoo Answers boards.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I asked a group of Asians- they didn't mind being called yellow, or some didn't care.

Okay, you asked your question of a group of Asians and they gave you an answer. Why aren't you satisfied with that answer? Was it not what you wanted to hear?
hingehead

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
Some will be offended, most will think you're weird. How many are you going to ask? What ratio will be acceptable for non-offence? 9 out of 10?

If you are afraid it will offend your friends I'm guessing your subconscious is more aware than you are.

You beige guys are all the same.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:17 pm
Let's try an experiment, J. Here's the photo you posted and asked if she has orange skin or if it is the lighting.

http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/12/24/96/61/shey112.jpg

Here's the same photo in which I used a photo editing software to remove the orange cast in it. Does she still look like she has orange skin to your eyes?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_z2t3-2ANqrg/TVx2FMSlO7I/AAAAAAAABoQ/NuIt58Fx8j4/shey112B.jpg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
Is it offensive to call some Asians orange-skinned?

are you sure they're asians, they might be oompa loompas
http://advisoranalyst.com/glablog/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/2e103e7c95e85a6395bf45e5dbfe946e.jpg
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
ONE girl objected to people being called orange. That doesn't reflect all Asians. I am still waiting to hear forom other Asians, on that forum I was on.

I want to know if it's okay to call these dark-skinned Asians beige.
djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
dude, call them people, or girls, or boys, or cashiers, or waitresses, or.........well anything that might describe them, why colour, there are much better qualifiers for people
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
If that is what you feel you need to do, then go ahead and do it. Just be prepared to accept any feedback you get for doing so.

If you think you need permission to say something before saying it, then it should probably be reworded or not said.

Maybe if you gave us a better idea of what the situation is all about, we can help you find a way of describing it that would be more generally accepted by people and not need any permissions to be used.

Why do you have the need to label people by their skin tones? Is this for an art class? Are you trying to write a book and describe a character's ethnic skin tones in as few words as possible?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

ONE girl objected to people being called orange. That doesn't reflect all Asians. I am still waiting to hear forom other Asians, on that forum I was on.

I want to know if it's okay to call these dark-skinned Asians beige.

Did you ask the girl who objected to people being called orange why she objected and what she would prefer they be called?

You found someone who objects to it. It seems to me that she is probably the best person to discuss it with so you can learn more about why it was not acceptable to her and whether the various skin tones matter to her, and why they matter so much to you.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
One Asian girl, who isn't even the complexion I am talking about, objected to calling Asians orange. She said she doesn't care about being called yellow, but at the same time isn't too fond of that term either.

Some Asians called themselves beige, so Im assuming that's what they say about their skin.

The point I'm mkaing is not all Asians are yellow, like people think. The Asians I talked to even said so.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
The point I'm mkaing is not all Asians are yellow, like people think. The Asians I talked to even said so.

That's what we've been telling you for 4 pages now.

The term "Asian" is a very broad word used to describe billions of people of the vast continent of Asia. They aren't all yellow, orange, beige or any other color. So, why try to pin a specific label of color on such a broadly descriptive term?

I'd like you to answer my other post about why you have the need for being so specific about skin tone. Is it for a comic book artwork or character description?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:23 pm
@djjd62,
The Simpsons are Asian? That's what happens when you outsource animation to South Korea!
http://the-simpsons.otavo.tv/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/simpsons_family.jpg
0 Replies