I just used tap water to boil eggs. Will I die?

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:43 am
By mistake, I used tap water to boil a couple of eggs. I only realised this after I'd eaten them.

Well, I'm worried. Is it too bad?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 26 • Views: 14,316 • Replies: 64

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:44 am
@spidergal,
What? Is this a serious question, or does your tap water just completely suck?

I've never had an egg that wasn't boiled in 'tap water.'

Cycloptichorn
dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:45 am
@spidergal,
you have 24/36 hours to live, max out your credit cards.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:46 am
@dyslexia,
hey, if that's all the time you have, max out somebody else's...

(she is in India, I believe...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
She lives in India, so it's somewhat possible it really sucks.

But if you just boiled the eggs in water, I can't imagine there would be a problem. There's the boiling (kills bacteria), and then there's the shell (keeps stuff out pretty well).

But this may be satire, not sure.
spidergal

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It can't suck because I bathe in it everyday - and I look good.

But it's obviously not of drinking quality - and I'm worried if I've swallowed chemicals I shouldn't have.

Rockhead

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:55 am
@spidergal,
did you eat the shells?
spidergal

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:57 am
@sozobe,
I thought about the possible protection the shell can offer. Hmm.

Sorry I'm a little paranoid about health, but this is not a joke really. I read a lot of stuff about people's IQ getting affected because of the poor quality of their drinking water - I think it just got to me.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 11:58 am
@Rockhead,
Yes!

[That was a joke.]
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 12:03 pm
@spidergal,
"Will I die?"

No, but if you hard boiled them you may need extra roughage for a few days.
spidergal

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 12:08 pm
@Old Goat,
But could you explain that, Old goat?
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 12:13 pm
Eggbound.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=eggbound
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 12:42 pm
@spidergal,
What else would you use to boil the eggs in? is it normally liquid other than water?
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 01:29 pm
@ehBeth,
non- contaminated/polluted water
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 01:30 pm
@spidergal,
How long did you boil the water? If you boiled it long enough (assuming your tab water isn't completely crap, but has some sort of water treatment) - the boiling should kill any bacteria.

When we had an issue with our water and it was potentially open to bacteria - we were instructed to boil our water before using as this should kill harmful bacteria.
Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 01:32 pm
@spidergal,
Here you go....

Boiling Water
This is where boiling water comes in. Of all the ways to make water safe to drink, boiling remains the number one most foolproof method. The materials required to boil water are to be found nearly everywhere, or can be improvised. A source of fuel and a way to ignite it, and a pot of some sort. Short of using a pot to boil water, you can use tin foil or even a tightly woven basket into which water and hot rocks are added.

Boiling destroys all disease carrying organisms, including viruses. And when you have boiled water there is no mistake that you have indeed succeeded in your goal of making water safe to drink.

How Long Do You Need to Boil Water?
How long do you need to boil water to make it safe to drink? There are a number of misnomers circulating around out there about the time to boil water. Ten minutes seems to be a commonly quoted figure. Actually, all it takes is to get the water to a good rolling boil and then your done. Thats it. Once the water has reached the boiling point there is no need to continue, and to do so is merely wasting fuel.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/the-best-way-to-make-water-safe-to-drink/
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 02:19 pm
@spidergal,

yes, i'm afraid you are going to die...

R(we all are)P
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 02:42 pm
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

It can't suck because I bathe in it everyday - and I look good.

But it's obviously not of drinking quality - and I'm worried if I've swallowed chemicals I shouldn't have.

When you bathe in it, does any get in your mouth? Do you brush you teeth with bottled water?

I ask because I had this intestinal thing that would come and go for years. It was horrible. The only way I got rid of it for good to to completely keep away from the local water supply.
Kept my mouth closed tight when showering, and never never drank water unless it was bottle. Even used bottled water for cooking, especially if it was going to be mixed into the food.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 02:46 pm
How effective is boiling against contaminants like antimony, arsenic, acrylamide, benzene, barium, beryllium, cadmium, cyanide, lead, mercury, nitrate, nitrite, selenium, thallium, etc.?
talk72000

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 03:37 pm
@spidergal,
I am not sure where you live but most of the tap water contain rust from the water tanks. Iron will normally cause much harm. Besides, women because of menstruation lose a lot of iron from the blood discharge, it could be beneficial. Naturally I don't think tap water would have too much harmful chemicals otherwisethere would be whole sale deaths. We used to boil the water before drinking.