It's Back! The Great Big A2K 2011 Fantasy Baseball Game!

ossobuco

Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:26 pm
@realjohnboy,
Good, very good, for her.
jespah

Tue 15 Mar, 2011 03:53 am
@ossobuco,
Have a great retirement, Debbie.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Tue 15 Mar, 2011 09:05 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Not enough sports junkies on A2K to warrant an NCAA B-Ball thread, I suspect. But I filled out my brackets today.
Ohio State Buckeyes will win over Kansas. Duke and Pittsburgh won't make the final four. Watch out for Syracuse, Texas, San Diego State, Notre Dame, ODU and UCLA.

http://able2know.org/topic/169275-1
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:26 pm
Go 'Cuse!
realjohnboy

Tue 15 Mar, 2011 04:50 pm
@McGentrix,
I'm in. As much as I dislike Tico and his arrogant swagger I have KS getting to the championship game. But they will fall to Ohio State.
Rockhead

Tue 15 Mar, 2011 04:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
he lives in Arizona now.

and is not the only Jayhawk fan on the board.

but they always lose in the semis to somebody they shouldn't...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:38 pm
Last call. If anyone would like to join the A2K Fantasy MLB game, please so indicate and we can get you in.
The people here are long-time A2Kers. Gentle folks. If you are new to A2K, please feel free to join us. We don't really know much about baseball.
Ticomaya

Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:59 pm
Something tells me fgkfghjh is not going to be joining our baseball game this year.

Draft is this Saturday!
realjohnboy

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
Saturday at 6:30 pm (ET).
I spent some time today working on setting up my preferred roster.
I see today that Chase Utley (knee) has been taking fielding practice while seated in a lawn chair at 2B. That is probably not a good sign.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 25 Mar, 2011 08:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
Okay, since it appears we are not going to get any additional teams, I'm going to limit the league to the current teams.
realjohnboy

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 03:43 pm
@Ticomaya,
The draft is in 45 minutes. I am so excited. I may have to take a nap
jespah

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 04:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'll be selecting Ferkle Shnoodwaffer with my first pick.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:58 pm
Wow. Yahoo! has done it again. Apparently they revised their autodraft functionality since 2009, because apparently it didn't suck enough. As the draft results from that year reveal, when you had all offense positions filled, it picked--get this--pitchers for you! Wasn't that stupid?

Anyway, if anyone is in need of an outfielder, I have a few...dozen. And no catchers. Again. Just might be joining a second league this year--I'll be sure not to miss the draft for that one.
realjohnboy

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 05:47 am
@Gargamel,
Wow! I see from the Yahoo site that other folks are complaining also.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:27 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:
Wow. Yahoo! has done it again. Apparently they revised their autodraft functionality since 2009, because apparently it didn't suck enough. As the draft results from that year reveal, when you had all offense positions filled, it picked--get this--pitchers for you! Wasn't that stupid?

Anyway, if anyone is in need of an outfielder, I have a few...dozen. And no catchers. Again. Just might be joining a second league this year--I'll be sure not to miss the draft for that one.

Holy crap!

The three that did not participate in the live draft at all (Fbaezer, Jose, & Tsar) each have catchers and pitchers. But Garg, who was present for a portion of the live draft and then let the computer take over, got screwed.

I'm not sure the best way to handle this, but I think a lot of trades should be in order.

I know McG has an extra catcher looking for a home.
realjohnboy

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:03 am
@Ticomaya,
It looks to me as though Gargamel turned over his picking to the computer in about the 13th round. (If you go to Draft Central and then "View All" you can see how picks were made for all players by round). That is when he got his 3rd third-baseman followed by a bunch of outfielders.
I can't help him with catchers but I did pick up some pitchers in those late rounds (13-22). I'd be willing to offer one of them in exchange for the player he chose in the same round; eg my 15th round pick in exchange for his 15th round "choice."
0 Replies

Gargamel

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 01:15 pm
After looking things over today, "Society" is salvageable. I'm sure everything can be resolved via trades and waiver acquisitions. Also, it's hard to stay mad--about anything, really--the week of Opening Day. In short, my perspective today is a bit rosier and I look forward to another season with y'all.

I have one "compensatory" request that I don't think is outrageous, but I want to be absolutely fair, so please voice any objections. If there is a single one I won't say anything more about it. But may I be allowed to draft Russell Martin and Joel Hanrahan off waivers without competition? I know a lot of rethinking is typical the day after a draft and both players might be looking good to a few of you. However, had autodraft proceeded as I thought it would, I surely would have drafted a catcher or closer of equal or better value, right?

Tell me what you think.
realjohnboy

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 01:23 pm
@Gargamel,
Allinfavorsayayeopposesaynayintheopinionofthechairtheayeshaveit.
Done.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 01:40 pm
Also, some trade-related info.

First, to clarify, I left the draft after selecting Rickie Weeks in round five. I don't know how many offensive bench spots the CPU would have drafted for me, but after selecting Shane Victorino in Round 9, all offensive positions but catcher were filled. Nevertheless, while continuing to draft outfielders I didn't need, the computer did abide my pre-draft rankings, so I do feel like I have legitimate trading capital for anyone in need of speed or power in the outfield.

Here's the deal: my infield is unavailable, unless you can offer a smart deal for Rickie Weeks. You will also need a strong case for Jay Bruce, Hunter Pence, Victorino, and a somewhat strong case for Mike Stanton. A strong case = halfway decent catcher.

Not too much arm-twisting should be necessary if you have pitchers, closers, or catchers to offer for the following:

1. Kendrys Morales, 1B, O-Rank 77

2. BJ Upton, OF, O-Rank 80

3. Pedro Alvarez, 3B, O-Rank 85

4. Mark Reynolds, 3B, O-Rank 89

5. Jose Tabata, OF, O-Rank 126

6. Brett Gardner, OF, O-Rank 121

7. Torii Hunter, OF, O-Rank 128

8. Neil Walker, 2B/3B, O-Rank 129

9. Nick Swisher, OF, O-Rank 130

10. Angel Pagan, OF, O-Rank 140

10. Grady Sizemore, OF, O-Rank 153
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 30 Mar, 2011 03:42 pm
Sweet news to me - Fernando is making the opening pitch for the Dodgers..

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0331-fernandomania-20110331,0,6898612,full.story

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-03/60526811.jpg
0 Replies