It's Back! The Great Big A2K 2011 Fantasy Baseball Game!

realjohnboy

Tue 22 Feb, 2011 04:32 pm
Ah, yes. The draft is 32 days away. Some of us do varying degrees of research in order to put together our rosters, checking out the players' teeth and the contents of their medicine cabinets. Other folks let the Yahoo computer select their rosters. I doubt that is can be statistically shown that one method is superior to the other.
So come on in. From the political threads or the philosophy ones or whatever. Spread your wings into the melancholy world of Baseball.
I repeat my claim that you can be probably be competitive with an investment of perhaps a mere hour a week.
Please let us know if you would like an invitation to join.
jespah

Tue 22 Feb, 2011 05:38 pm
@realjohnboy,
You forgot the "he's kinda cute" strategy.
realjohnboy

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 01:03 pm
@jespah,
Come on now, folks. We need at least one more player to get to an even number and we can handle 2 or 4 beyond 10.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 01:32 pm
Have we tried luring anyone via "The Baseball Thread"?
realjohnboy

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 01:43 pm
@Gargamel,
I emailed tsarstephan but got no reply. Pansade was in one of the football games. JoefromChicago follows sports but has never participated.
tsarstepan

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 01:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
After some thought, I'll give it a twirl but a bear minimum, shooting for dead last twirl at worst/best.

How does this workproject work?
realjohnboy

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 01:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
You will receive a secret message from Tico.
Welcome.
jespah

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 02:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
You will learn the handshake and the silly walk, and you must make corn muffins for all of the other participants.
tsarstepan

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 03:09 pm
@jespah,
I like corn muffins so I approve this posting. Very Happy

And I would like to introduce to a2k my new franchise, the Russian Imperials. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 03:28 pm
Excellent! For my next trick I will work on getting us to 12 players. Osso, a faithful player of all-games-considered for years is unsure whether or not she can play this go-round. I hope she joins in.
Meanwhile, remember this name if you are asked about baseball: Albert Pujols (1st Baseman - St Louis). He is drooled over by every Fantasy manager in every league. Last year he batted .312; had 42 HR's, 118 RBI's and 115 runs scored.
He is 31 years old and is from the Dominican Republic.

And I note today that Duke Snider has died. He was in his mid 80ies and was a staple in my diet of baseball 50 years ago.
tsarstepan

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 03:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
Who is this Albert Pooholes? Rolling Eyes N'ere heard of em! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 03:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Good man, Tsar..
you'll enjoy it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 03:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'd love to join in, but I am not confident enough that I will continue to have internet access all through the season, meaning I may have to cut out my landline, which keeps my Imac perking.

On the other hand, I could perhaps go to kinko's and use their computers once a week (but that would add up as I'd end up spending too much time there), or to the not very local library, or to some friends' houses (imposition).

We'll see if I relent. I'd hate to leave another player stranded. On the other hand, I think some players in the past have just stopped playing, generally or at least sometimes making their weekly opponent a sure winner, which could be considered a good thing at the time.

RIP, Duke.

On other news, Miggy (Miguel Cabrera) has gotten himself into serious alcohol issues again..

RJB, have you contacted Pants? Er, Pantalones?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 04:04 pm
If I do break down and join in, we'll be the Dognosed Vulcans. (I live near three volcanoes, as it happens).
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sun 6 Mar, 2011 11:27 am
@realjohnboy,
25 days until the MLB season begins and 20 days before players here put together our rosters of the guys who will play for our fantasy teams to start the year for us.
We have 10 players thus far, from Boston to Mexico. It would be nice to get two more and the league has been set up to handle four more. We must, however, end up with an even number of people.
We run this on Yahoo. It is not required that participants be on A2K, so if you know of someone -perhaps a family member, friend, coworker- we can make that work.

realjohnboy wrote:

It has been a long, hard winter and it probably isn't over yet. The groundhog saw its shadow, suggesting an early spring. I think I am smarter than a rodent, but that is debatable, I guess.
The MLB season begins on March 31st and for the 5th season we will have an A2K Fantasy league run by Yahoo.
We can handle up to 10 or 12 or 14 players. We each put together a team of major league ball players and get matched up with another A2Ker each week.
The time required to participate is perhaps 30 minutes a week minimum. We do ask that you realize that it is a long season and it is not good if a player here wanders off mid-season.
Registration on Yahoo is required but it is free and does not result in getting spam.
If you are interested please post here. Yahoo is accepting league registration by a commissioner beginning tomorrow. Once that happens, by someone other then me, I will be given a league ID and password which I will pm to anyone who is interested.
I found my glove again from last year. It still smells like a good glove should.
Alas, I can't bend down far enough fast enough to handle ground balls like I did when I played 3rd base 50 some years ago. And my throws to 1st seem to take a long time to get there, if they get there at all.
But it is still baseball.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 10:31 am
Hi kids, the Enema Bandits salute ya all!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ost45tmkvuk/TLG-pKboOwI/AAAAAAAADPs/AE8r33N5qf0/s1600/enema_time.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 05:29 pm
I'll definitely back out, so I don't leave an odd number hanging. So, you need two more to step up to the plate..
fbaezer

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 11:23 am
@ossobuco,
If osso steps out, who will be the official Drama Queen of our League?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:12 pm
Not enough sports junkies on A2K to warrant an NCAA B-Ball thread, I suspect. But I filled out my brackets today.
Ohio State Buckeyes will win over Kansas. Duke and Pittsburgh won't make the final four. Watch out for Syracuse, Texas, San Diego State, Notre Dame, ODU and UCLA.
realjohnboy

Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
And if you will bear with me for this, which will never make it into the sports pages.
My friend, Debbie Ryan, has announced that she will retire from the head coaching position of the UVA women's basketball team after 34 seasons.
Ms Ryan, 57, never won a national championship, UConn and TN usually vied for that, but the lady Cavs often times had good or very good seasons, winning the ACC often.
Just as importantly, her players studied at UVA and got meaningful degrees and kept their noses clean.
Ms Ryan was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a decade or so ago. She beat the odds on survival. It is unclear whether her resignation today is linked to that. I hope not.
I haven't talked to her, but I suspect that she simply got tired and decided it was time to move on. Reports are that she will continue to work for UVA in some role.