Obama's SOU speech tonight

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:47 am
According to an article I read this morning, Obama is going to tell the American people that to help create jobs, it will be necessary to increase public works. I agree with this, and have advocated this long before now.

What took him so long?

Or, what do you think are the pros and cons for the feds to increase public works in our country?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

According to an article I read this morning, Obama is going to tell the American people that to help create jobs, it will be necessary to increase public works. I agree with this, and have advocated this long before now.

What took him so long?

Or, what do you think are the pros and cons for the feds to increase public works in our country?

I've long advocated for a WPA-style program. Especially for the 99'ers. If people want to work, let 'em work - we have work that needs doing....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:59 am
Public works? Good idea, but let this work be an act of charity.

No payment need be made for these acts of virtue.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 06:40 pm
@Miller,
Miller, I think you misunderstanding the meaning of the word charity.

A public works project is to help Americans who are having trouble finding work in this economy. I suppose that charity would be helping them without having do work. I think providing jobs that both help the country while helping them survive the economic downturn is the best of both worlds.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 06:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks, max, for explaining this very simple concept to Miller who usually seems to comprehend most things.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 07:50 pm
@maxdancona,
There are many talented people in construction industries out of work and floundering. Plus other people who could learn in starting jobs. (not arguing with you, max)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 08:42 pm
@maxdancona,
max, To piggy-back on what I've already said in my previous post, I'll add the following.

When our government invests in improving our infrastructure, that means thousands of jobs for Americans. That in turn will increase the demand for more consumer goods, and increase the tax base for all levels of government. When the demand for consumer goods increases, that will add more jobs for Americans to meet the increased demand. This works somewhat like a pyramid that works from top to bottom. The first few jobs at the top will increase jobs at the bottom.

This is why I've been advocating for our government to spend money on our infrastructure to jump-start our economy.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 08:58 pm
If health insurance companies can't turn away people with preexisting conditions then what's to stop people from only buying health insurance when they're really sick thereby defeating the purpose of health insurance?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 09:01 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

If health insurance companies can't turn away people with preexisting conditions then what's to stop people from only buying health insurance when they're really sick thereby defeating the purpose of health insurance?

The mandate!

Cycloptichorn
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 09:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

The mandate!

Cycloptichorn

Great, another government monopoly that we can't opt out of!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 11:49 pm
While the idea of a WPA style program is a good one, where is the money to pay for it going to come from?
After all, this country is already broke, and with all of the other spending, we can't afford another spending increase.
And don't say that the jobs created will add enough in taxes to pay for it, be aide that isn't possible.
If the goggles is the entity paying people, then the only way they could make enough in taxes to pay for it is to tax everyone at a rate of 100%, essentially getting back all of the money they are paying.
That would defeat the purpose of the entire plan, IMHO.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 08:04 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
While the idea of a WPA style program is a good one, where is the money to pay for it going to come from?

That's an easy one. We should repeal all of the Bush tax cuts. Politics being what they are, the best we can hope for is repealing the tax cuts for the very richest of us.

The money we are wasting on tax cuts for people who don't need them will go a long way to helping provide jobs for people who do need them.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 09:03 am

One thing is certain, teleprompter dependent PrezBO does have
a silver forked tongue and a damn good team of speech writers.
revelette

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 09:11 am
There is also a way to save money by sending some of these troops home where we don't need them and other cuts in defense. I mean why do have so many troops in so many different countries? According to the below article;

Quote:
The U.S. military has a total of over 700 military bases in 130 countries around the world.

source
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 09:14 am
Shocked

"Within 25 years our goal is to give 80% of Americans access to high-speed rail."

This whole dream about high-speed rail is nothing but a payoff to unions in order to put construction workers to work building rail lines,
joining unions, paying union dues, and allowing unions to make massive political contributions to candidates. Democrat candidates.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 09:16 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

There is also a way to save money by sending some of these troops home where we don't need them and other cuts in defense.

Obamanomics have driven this country into a recession and you want to add to the unemployment lines - brilliant.
revelette

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 09:24 am
@H2O MAN,
First off, Obama did not run this country into a recession, the recession started in 2007. Second, so you are saying we should keep troops spread all over world to keep them employed? I didn't know that was the role of our military around the world.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 09:28 am
@revelette,
1st. Democrats are responsible for the recession started in 2007.

2nd. The US military is not one of your radical left wing jobs programs.

Obama said he wanted to spread the wealth around, but all he a spread is misery and despair.
revelette

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 09:39 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Ever since taking this post, now more than four years ago, I have called for protecting force structure and for maintaining modest but real growth in the Defense top line over the long term. I would prefer that this continue to be the case, but this country’s dire fiscal situation and the threat it poses to American influence and credibility around the world will only get worse unless the U.S. government takes its finance — gets its finances in order.

Robert Gates

Gates Moves To Reduce Pentagon Spending Plans

0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 10:33 am
Dident the president say something about cutting business taxes. How will he square this with public works projects when we are already short of public funds. The president speaks with a forked tongue allright but its not a liberal one its a conserative one.