Non-Christian - not my brother

wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:01 pm
@Arella Mae,
It's simply a group dynamic. Atheists aren't necessarily a group, other than as labeled.
As far as christians considering others ahead of themselves, according to their values. The consideration begins and ends with the beliefs of the group, not yours. How considerate is it to tell the atheist you'll pray for them.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:05 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

It's simply a group dynamic. Atheists aren't necessarily a group, other than as labeled.
As far as christians considering others ahead of themselves, according to their values. The consideration begins and ends with the beliefs of the group, not yours. How considerate is it to tell the atheist you'll pray for them.

How do you and so many of your fellow atheists manage to get around with such a weighty chip on your shoulder?
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:16 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Intolerance has nothing to do with it. If two people disagree on an important question about the world, they can't both be right. So if they care about the truth of the matter, it's worth their while to find out who is wrong---by controversial argument if necessary. For example, I think Joefromchicago is wrong about a lot of things, yet I'm perfectly tolerant of him and his erroneous ways. (I think the same is true vice versa.)
There are some things that we just can't know who is right or who is wrong though. So what do we do? We have a choice. We can agree to disagree civilly or we can try to tear each other apart because someone feels they have to be right.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:18 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Oh really? prove me wrong.
About what? It would help if you quoted the posts you refer to.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:19 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

Well, you have a choice when someone says they are going to pray for you. You just let it slide or you make some big deal about it. If someone wants to pray for someone you, nor I, nor anyone else can stop them.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:27 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
He was clearly making a religious statement, not a political statement

That is precisely the problem. The news crews were not there to film a televangelist, but a newly elected governor.
The man is freshly elected to an office that represents the brotherhood of Alabamans, and he tells the non-christian alabamans they are not his brothers.
Can you not see why that might be offensive?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:47 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

That would be one of those questions on which you are wrong.

How can one argue with such compelling logic?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:48 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
I don't think individuals who hold elected offices have their own time.

I doubt that even you believe that.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:54 pm
This should settle it. He has publicly apologized.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/19/alabama-governor-apologizes-controversial-mlk-speech/?test=latestnews
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:56 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
The man is freshly elected to an office that represents the brotherhood of Alabamans, and he tells the non-christian alabamans they are not his brothers.
Can you not see why that might be offensive?

I can't imagine. If you're not a Christian, why would you be offended to be told that you're not a Christian?
wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You don't have any problem making leaps of judgement about things which you have absolutely no knowledge do you. Just when have I stated that I am an atheist?
What chip? Have you even considered how an atheist might feel if you tell them you are praying for them?

Your post demonstates my point quite well. Your judgement consisted entirely of what went on in your own mind.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Or in other words, I agree with joefromchicago---always an embarrassing situation for both of us.

And it must be a horrifying situation when you both agree with me.

A blind squirrel will sometimes find a nut. Even a blind drunk squirrel.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

What is a religion but a type of club?

Well, it certainly amounts to little more than a club for many, many of the "faithful," but clearly it is much more.

As I said, some people think it's an awesome club.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:07 pm
@wayne,
I am asking you sincerely. Would it bother you in the same way as if they insulted you? Would it bother you if they cussed you out instead? If you don't believe in God then how can someone saying they will pray for you be a problem? If a person that calls themself a witch says they are going to pray for me or whatever they do, do you think I am going to get all offended? That would be a loud resounding no. I am going to go on my merry way with my life and forget about what they said.

People have a right to say anything within the law they want about me or to me, same with you. If you are going to let it bother you then it becomes your issue.
wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:27 pm
@joefromchicago,
It's really not about that. It is about the robe of office. You don't just punch in at 9 and out at 5. He made an error of judgement. He's admitted that.
There is every reason why, say, a muslim constituant might be offended by such a statement from his governor.
Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:34 pm
@Arella Mae,
Bentley apologized for offending non-Christians, but didn't take back the offending remark. That's a fairly typical maneuver for a politician trying to have it both ways and please everyone. But for people who were offended by the content of the remark, there's no reason for the apology to "settle it".
wayne

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:42 pm
@Arella Mae,
I don't disagree with you here at all. What you are speaking of is tolerance.
What I refered to was consideration.
Asking the atheist if he would mind if you prayed for him, is consideration.
Telling the atheist you are praying for him is not considerate, and places the burden of tolerance.

The issue is the robe of office. In this instance, it's the difference between a christian governor, and a governor who happens to be christian.

I am well aware of the brotherhood in christ, no problem.
There is, however, the matter of consideration of constituents who are not, by some one serving the robe of public office.

This, of course is semantics. But politics and semantics go hand in hand.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:46 pm
@Thomas,
Why would someone be offended by the truth? If one is not a Christian then they are not a Christian. Big deal! People get offended for what? Is this progress? We aren't going forward, we are going backward. It used to be sticks and stones that hurt and not words. Now? People take every single word to heart like it's a bullet. Muslims that are in this country tell us if we do not follow their Allah we are doomed. Um, I don't see people getting too upset about that. Why not? It's no different. I don't care if a Muslim thinks I am lost. I don't care if another Christian thinks I am lost. I don't care if someone tells me there is no God. Why would I? I am not so insecure that I am going to let someone that I don't even know - who knows that guy personally really? - make a difference in my life. Me being okay doesn't have a single thing to do with what anyone else thinks.

We all have our differences whether they be sexual orientation, gender, color, religous/non-religious beliefs, that's just life. I'd rather live mine then get ticked off by someone I don't even know saying I'm unsaved, doomed, whatever.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:46 pm
@wayne,
This is all rather like the Christians who are offended when someone says "happy holidays" rather than "merry Christmas." Most of the people here who are criticizing Bentley would say that it's silly for Christians to be offended when someone says "happy holidays." After all, why is it so important?

Well, it's equally silly for non-Christians to be offended when someone says "you're not a Christian, so you're not my brother/sister." Why is it so important for the offended non-Christians to be Bentley's siblings?

Once, my father answered the door to some Jehovah's Witnesses. They asked him if he wanted to hear the saving word of the lord and he replied "we're Catholics." To which the JWs said "we're sorry," and left. I suppose we could have been offended by their expression of condolence on our wicked papishness, but instead we just thought it was hilarious.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:58 pm
@joefromchicago,
I don't want the guy for a brother anyway.