Gun Violence in Europe

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:45 am

the attacks take place where civilians are banned from carrying guns.

Don't ban guns.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 6,319 • Replies: 53

Ceili

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:51 am
It would be nice if the author would back up his bullshit with a little thing I like to call facts. FAQ.com my ass.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:58 am
@Ceili,
Prove him wrong.
Ceili

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:13 am
@H2O MAN,
Prove what wrong? Where are the facts to back up his claim? It's just an opinion...
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:24 am
@Ceili,
I see... in your opinion the information is wrong... got it.
Ceili

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:27 am
@H2O MAN,
Again, what info??? Where are the facts? Where are the facts that state his opinion? Where are the facts proving the slaughter of unprotected Europeans? Give me numbers...
Nope, the article does none of that, it just a blustery piece of crap.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 02:00 pm
@Ceili,
What you're saying is that there is no gun violence in Europe, is that your opinion?
Ceili

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 02:02 pm
@H2O MAN,
No, but seriously, if you're going to say it's terrible, prove it. Otherwise it's an opinion.
I haven't said that I agree or disagree with the statement, but it's bunk unless backed by the numbers. Which he hasn't proven. Neither have you.
Next.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 02:49 pm
If you get your name on the list, you could be fitted with prostethic lower legs, h2oboy. Good thing Ceili decide to leave you your knackers. There's no replacing those.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 03:35 am

Guns r life-saving emergency equipment.
Without them, a predator will probably have a MONOPOLY of power.
Without guns, most victims will be unable to control a predatory emergency.

Every predatory event
is a contest of POWER.

Its better to HAVE a gun and not need it
than it is to NEED a gun and not have it.

David
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 04:41 am
I have tried to find how much gun violence there is in Western Europe in comparasing with USA. I did not find anything about it. Only the crime rate all together. GB seems to have the highest crime rate in comparasing with other Western Countries.

So I am very sceptical to this article about gun violence in Europe.
Where there are strict laws against guns people seem to have more respect for guns and do not use them like people who are for guns.
contrex

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 04:55 am
@saab,
Quote:
comparasing

Wass is this word?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 05:54 am
@H2O MAN,
ADMIT IT, you just read this article and then , just as quickly, posted it. You have no idea whether what he says is even true.

If you wanna start a thread about gun violence in EUrope, why not eek some instances and present em. Its incumbent upon YOU to provide an argument that supports your thread. Otherwise yer just blowing smoke out yer ass (course, Ive been accustomed to that factless reportage from you all along)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 06:04 am
@farmerman,
Well, I could have done that already yesterday.
Or half a year ago, when that stupid opinion was posted.

But here are the "data" presented in that
OPINION at foxnews
Quote:

The attacks in Europe might not get as much attention in the U.S. or even in other countries in Europe besides where the attack occurred as the attack in the U.S., but multiple victim public shootings appear to be at least as common in Europe as they are here. The following is a partial list of attacks occurring in Europe since 2001. As mentioned, all of them occurred in gun free zones, places where guns in the hands of civilians were not allowed:
- Zug, Switzerland, September 27, 2001: a man murdered 15 members of a cantonal parliament.
- Tours, France, October 29, 2001: four people were killed and 10 wounded when a French railway worker started killing people at a busy intersection in the city.
- Nanterre, France, March 27, 2002: a man kills eight city councilors after a city council meeting.
- Erfurt, Germany on April 26, 2002: a former student kills 18 at a secondary school.
- Freising, Germany on February 19, 2002: Three people killed and one wounded.
- Turin, Italy on October 15, 2002: Seven people were killed on a hillside overlooking the city.
- Madrid, Spain, October 1, 2006: a man kills two employees and wounds another at a company that he was fired from.
- Emsdetten, Germany, November 20, 2006: a former student murders 11 people at a high school.
- Southern Finland, November 7, 2007: Seven students and the principal were killed at a high school.
- Naples, Italy, September 18, 2008: Seven dead and two seriously wounded in a public meeting hall (not included in totals below because it may possibly have involved the mafia).
- Kauhajoki, Finland, Sept. 23, 2008: 10 people were shot to death at a college.
Winnenden, Germany, March 11, 2009: a 17-year-old former student killed 15 people, including nine students and three teachers.
- Lyon, France, March 19, 2009: ten people injured after a man opened fire on a nursery school.
- Athens, Greece, April 10, 2009: three people killed and two people injured by a student at a vocational college.
- Rotterdam, Netherlands, April 11, 2009: three people killed and 1 injured at a crowded cafe.
Vienna, Austria, May 24, 2009: one dead and 16 wounded in an attack on a Sikh Temple.
- Espoo, Finland, Dec. 31, 2009: 4 killed while shopping at a mall on New Year's Eve.
- Cumbria, England, June 2, 2010: 12 people killed by a British taxi driver.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 06:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
From tha above sourced opinion:
Quote:
Large multiple victim public shootings are exceedingly rare events, but they garner massive news attention and the ingrained misperceptions they produce are hard to erase.
When I have been interviewed by foreign journalists, including those from Germany, they usually start off by asking for my opinion as to why multiple victim public shootings are such an American problem.
And of course, they are astonished when I remind of attacks in their own countries and I point out that this is a universal problem, but with a common factor: the attacks take place where civilians are banned from carrying guns.

Criminologists certainly have their theories about that happened.
With the younger ones (in Germany), it came out (in courts) that they were mainly influenced by war game videos ... and took the USA-shootings as an example to follow.
(They had had their guns legally, resp. their parents had them.)

I wonder how the statistics are when we look at ALL gun related violence ... (Well, actually I don't.)

[As an aside: in our district with 300,000 inhabitants we have about 9,000 persons, who own roughly 29,000 firearms ... legally (that's besides police, customs, prison guards, military, state/town foresters et).]
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 06:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks Walter. HAd spurt presented that data, I wouldnt have been so critical of the article. However, now, it seems that this is a universal problem no?

I suppose that only in totalitarian countries are such crimes rare.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 06:46 am
@farmerman,
Well, it was unknown in Europe (I certainly know it for 100% only for Germany) after it started elsewhere - copycat criminals are to found everywhere, and with all crimes.
Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 06:48 am
As is the case with epidemiology, incidence and prevelence determine the extent of any such problem. The contention that such crimes flourish where there is gun control legislation is bullshit without a reliable, comparative examination of the incidence and prevelence of shootings.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 07:06 am
Farmtool reminds me of the kids that get their parents to do their homework... pathetic.
farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 07:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So the data you presented is to show that gun killings are a RECENT thing in Europe?