NEW ART PROJECTS GOIN ON?

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 05:07 am
@Aldistar,
That is a net study. He looks all full of energy.
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 12:09 pm
@farmerman,
Im a faithful user of Arches 300 lb w/c paper. However, several e-houses are having sales on KILIMANJARO w/c papers. (bright white or natural white)

ANYONE try Kilimanjaro paper and whats yer feel about it. Im looking to do several studies for a show in the FAll and Im continuing my "Amish Kids" series, (Ive actually had some prints subscribed and these already sold out so maybe Im gonna keep my output lower and try some ecperimentalist stuff, more plein air looking 0--JUST so I dont get like Kinkade )

BTW, I just got a book by a young Thomas Kinkade. It was a lesson book on how to do plein aor sketching . Believe it or not, the guy actually had talent. All he did was just sell out in the 90's

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 01:10 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry, farmerman, but Kinkaide's art is vulgar kitsch. His attempt at "heaven on earth" just doesn't exist. Besides all that, he was a fraud that suckered in people to open franchise stores that sold mass-produced art with no value, and they all went belly up.

As Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute."
spendius

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 03:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What ci. knows about art could be sky-written in a jam jar.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 03:16 pm
@spendius,
And what you know about me is based on your total ignorance.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 03:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Kinkade merely sold out. If you would have seen some of his early work, you wouldnt even think they were by the same person.

WHAT I REALLY NEED IS SOME INFO ABOUT KILIMANAJARO PAPER.

(PS, tell spendi to go **** himself) aourse we arent reading his stuff are we Laughing Laughing Laughing
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 03:52 pm
@farmerman,
Opinion on the paper.

http://rhcarpenter.blogspot.com/2009/04/kilimanjaro-paper.html
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 08:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, I read the blog. SOrta helpful but she didnt answer the "Absorbency" issue. Thats one of the points of sizing on W/c paper (unless Im trying to achieve a real wet look, the sizing needs to control the spread of colors) Otherwise itll look like an ink drop on tissue paper (its called a chromatograph)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 May, 2012 09:35 pm
@farmerman,
No, I last did etching/printing in the seventies, and used what paper I don't remember to work up some takes on landscape plans some time later, the 80's. I thought of myself at the time as pissed at Hockney, that I had been there first, but never mind, only in my mind. (I like Hockney as a person.) I got a printing company to roll Arches through the press to play with instead of the usual blueprint paper. Of course, I didn't follow through past some first attempts.

Still, some of the great paper I used has weathered living with me.

Liking Hockney as a person - Gehry and Thor, Richard Serra, were speaking at UCLA, which I was around at that time. I was late and so was he. I was running, he held the door. We were the only two people in that area. So? he left being icon to someone I like.
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 May, 2012 08:41 am
@ossobuco,
you probably used Rieves papaer the most for mprinting. Arches is a bit stiff and when you soak it up for printing it shows spongy tendencies
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 May, 2012 10:05 am
@farmerman,
Likely you are right for my etching printing, but I think I used Arches for the time when I used the landscape plan prints as a base for some paintings. Just pulled one out as I've been considering whether to trash them, but I still like it, and the paper is thick. As I remember, my first gallery partner, a painter, and I split the cost for a package. Ah, that was a long time ago.

It was ten years later that I used the paper for that task - the one I pulled out just now to check was a painting over a plan for a landscape design for a Schindler house that I/we were doing at work. This painting has a sort of primitive but colorful plan view look.
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 06:09 pm
@ossobuco,
The big public opening of the new Barnes Museum of modern art and Pa Folk and industrial arts is happening this weekend. There will be a huge celebration and the official openoing of the "New Barnes" on the ARt Parkway of Philadelphia.

Im dyin to see the whole schlemazza but we are going to wait for some really hot weekday in Jukly when the crowds start to dwindle and only the true gawkers will be in attendance.

They layed out the new museum just as Dr Barnes had it in his own museum in Merion Pa.
The entire story of the "Art of the STeal" has been gone over and over again but one thing is certain, this new museum will not be an effort to visit as was the original BArnes.

In the old BArnes, unless you had a personal invitation for doing some scholarly work on an artist or the museum, you would have been lucky to get into the Barnes more than twice a year and you were always shuffled along because your time was metered. In the new museum, if you get worn out looking at Matisses, you can come back next week and hang out.

Purists are all beside themselves because its breaking Barnes' will, but Barnes was, after all, merely trying to control the viewing of his collection because he was snubbed by the Philly art establishment that was still rooted in the works of Eakins and The Academy
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 May, 2012 06:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

In the old BArnes, unless you had a personal invitation for doing some scholarly work on an artist or the museum, you would have been lucky to get into the Barnes more than twice a year and you were always shuffled along because your time was metered. In the new museum, if you get worn out looking at Matisses, you can come back next week and hang out.
/quote]

I've never run into a museum that did that (like the old Barnes). Eek!
I also don't much like guides forcing you to move through a museum fast, in one direction - and that's two things, the going fast and the not-backtracking.
I'm a museum lollygagger. When let alone, I'll do a walk through of an area, then go back to each room and look closely (usually), and then go back again, still looking closely but maybe at different paintings (etc) than the first close viewing.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 05:21 am
@ossobuco,
Thats all in the past. The original Barnes was a bit snotty and isolated from the art community. That was by design by Dr Barnes, he got himself all on the outs with most of the community during his life and his will demanded that it be kept that way in perpetuity. The Barnes will was broken by giving a huge endowment to the Controlling board members who were the administration of LINCOLN UNIVERSITY a HBCU. Lincoln was bought out with a cash payment of several hundred million. They took the money and then endorsed the entire move opf the BArnes from Merion Pa to the PArkway in Philly. Philly"museum row is now even more of a "go to" art destination that makes a three way trip to DC Philly and NY a regional Mecca and Medina.

Im looking forward to see the new set up . Its been almost 15 years since I was last to this great museum.

Its all post Impressionism, modernism, and stops at about Frank Stella's woprk and some Warhol.

Another thing was that the old BArnes wasnt even climate controlled. Imagine a 50 BILLION dollar art collection just hanging in a damp old masonary building.
spendius

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 07:55 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Imagine a 50 BILLION dollar art collection just hanging in a damp old masonary building.

It will do one day fm.

It looks like the $50b impresses you the most. "In the beginning was the word". All the pictures are derived from word pictures. Perhaps it was frustration at being second rate that drove one famous American artist to throw a few pints of different coloured paints from the DIY store onto a horizontal canvas, ride a bike around on it, dry it and have it hung in one of your prestigious galleries with a large price tag.

Did you know that Andy Warhol spent a long time as a kid sick in bed and his mother provided him with colouring implements and comic books for him to pass the time with. He was known as The Holy Terror. In Pittsburg I think. That's up the road isn't it?

Is the house, shack more like, a Heritage Site now like Haworth Parsonage is?
spendius

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 07:58 am
@spendius,
BTW--Andy was a regular churchgoer although he didn't take communion.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 09:52 am
@spendius,
cherry pickin posts again eh spendi? Not much there that's worth any response from me.

You certainly are still the master of the bleedin obvious.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 10:27 am
@farmerman,
Oy. I remember reading about a lot of this when these changes were first happening. This new building and location and attitude sound wonderful.
spendius

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 11:59 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
You certainly are still the master of the bleedin obvious.

I was only reminding you of the religious nature of some of the more expensive artworks.

You are always the master of saying nothing in a petulant fashion. Your post was riddled with materialistic and power controlling images. Was it a glossy brochure you were making extracts from?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 01:27 pm
@ossobuco,
about half the art world is pissed off at the move.Once they got used to all the "degenerate work" and the way that BArnes had it hung in his MErion museum, they started treating it like NEw York honred the World Trade Center. It was ugly but it was "our" ugly.

Now that the entire world will have easy access to the new museum, well easy access just isnt good enough for some.