NEW ART PROJECTS GOIN ON?

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:27 am
Im starting a bunch of new paintings and Im working in tryptichs, where i have a scene worked out so that any one of the three makes a stand alone but together they work well . Of course Im only at the sketch stages. Im doing plein Air and its cold.

I have a large truck, in which I sit with an improvised easel that fits nicely slung over the front headrests. ( i could perhaps patent this,) Its interesting how the truck windows frame the scene nicely and let me concentrate on the focus of the painting.
Hows every one else doing ? Is this a slow time for painters? Are we too busy with other stuff? Id like to hear from the group of we hardy brush dippers, and of course, wish all a Merry Christmas and a painterly New Yaer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 107,441 • Replies: 746
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 10:02 am
(interrupting) Setanta has painted you a Grant avatar. He's lookin for ya, farmer. Check the testing category..or the unanswered stuff
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 10:21 am
i know , thanks letty.I need to get over to my office to get the alternative e-mails and I havent been there all week. im hpoing by Tues i will make the drive, Its a 35 mi drive to our digs
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 10:56 am
I finished two small paintings early in the month. I'm near completion on two other small pieces. Only one large piece on the easel for December, so far. I have a total of five paintings out in public, and will have to work to prepare for exhibitions after the turn of the year. On the other hand, I've been busy with getting Corazon decorated and ready for holiday guests.

Why don't I see the work of other painters posted here? A bunch of folks are always talking about making pictures, exhibiting and selling art, but only very rarely is anyone willing to put their work out there for us to see. Go for it!

Usually, at this time of year I don't paint. In the past, I didn't have a heated studio space. Cold temperatures screw with my feel for how the paint moves and dries, so I generally knock off until the weather is warmer. This year, however, the heated studio has made it possible for me to continue to work.

My annual habit of spending the cold months writing has recently been surfacing as well. I've been on A2K more in the last few weeks, and written something like 15000 words in various little essays.

I generally stay busy.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:45 pm
Farmerman- I knew an artist who was an oil paint/hot wax painter, and he would travel around the countryside painting in his truck whenever he saw somthing that caught his fancy. Sounds like great fun, if not a little lonely.

I'm thinking about doing a series of small paintings in an old masterly style (layering, glazing, on wood). They would be very small and personal, about face sized. I think this would be a good way to experiment with a time-taking technique, and cut down on the time by them being small. They would also make good presents for my loved ones who have been begging me for paintings all these years.

Another idea: all these epic movies have interested me in painting some kind of mythic male hero. I would want to make it huge, with the canvas towering from floor to cieling. The hard part would be making him awe-inspiring and not cheezy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:54 pm
I have some paintings I want to continue work on before I move on. I am in the midst of some needed house fixing before I can really get back to painting. (I work at a job too.)

On the images re a2k, I have a new scanner which is sitting there not turning on for reasons too complicated to explain here having to do I think with routing it through a hub. I am not going to worry about it for a few weeks.

I want to put my paintings on a2k's private gallery as well as a whole bunch of my italy photos. I have learned by participating in the Where Am I travel game on this forum - where I try to dig up good photos from the web on some places I love - that there is a dearth of interesting web photos on many of these places. Most photos there, if they are there at all, are very routine.

All in good time.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:05 pm
Good to hear your voices and see what you are doing in the studio. Preparing for Christmas has been getting in the way of my painting. I have done little in the way of attacking a pending portrait commission. I don't expect to get to
it in any significant way till January.

Asher, my interest in A2K is to discuss art and related ideas with other artists. I am not really interested in critique or discussing my art, but that's just me. I did post a painting on a related site a couple of years ago.

By the way, I received a gorgeous hand made
card with a monoprint this year.....Maybe my New Years Resolution will be to create a monoprint a week so that next year I can send out my own cards.....
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:08 pm
I've just finished a 3ft 6 in square painting to put above the new sofa in the living room. It is of a stream and the way you partly see through to the colours below and partly see the reflections of sky and trees.

It is based on the river Dordogne in France.

Like most of my work it is about light and a sense of place.

I'll post it to the gallery and then i can add it here later.

I too would love to see more of all your work.

I also have to fetch another painting back from an exhibition tomorrow. That was about 4ft 6tin by 2ft (landscape format) and was part of a project a group i belong to set.

The starting point was a Henry Moore statue in the local museum (about 1ft long - a maquette), which i decided to use the sweeping forms from and turn into a landscape - the landscape became a moorland scene (subconscious??? moore/moor - or cheesy???!!! Confused )

I haven't got a photo of that but will photograph it later. I can add one or two preliminary sketches and ideas as i worked around it.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:18 pm
I understand, shepaints. I am not interested in critique as such here; in particular I am not interested in critiqueing other a2k painters' work. I am interested in hearing about it and seeing it, though in the sense of sharing. But I have also enjoyed discussions without photos, for themselves.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:28 pm
http://www.able2know.com.jpg

a Christmas digital doodle!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 07:44 pm
good to hear from youze all. I just returned from a memorial for a friend who died two weeks ago and I prepared a roast type of eulogy. we laughed and cried so , its getting ok.
havent talked with you AQsher but I need to get a better higher res scanner for my industrial stuff and better photo techn iques with the digital camera. I dont have a host other than a professional page so I suppose I cant post through a2k yet.

portal- Im a phan of Edward Hopper and he had a neat old Ford woodie set up for plein air . I sit in my back seat with the deisel running, its cold now and a deisel doesnt overheaqt like gas engines, theyre meant to run all night in idle if needed.
So Im warm, lots of room and a thermos.

I hope to get the ability to post some of my work , Osso, Im like you, I try to sneak in as much paintbrush time but its always being pushed by work projects and reports etc etc.

WHile Im doing this tryptich (Ive chosen egg tempera since it seems to parallel my impatient personality) Ive also been working in clayboard (white) I airbrush a black and sepia stain on the surface and then scratch off the color to develop a lot of negative space. Im doing this as a favor for a friend whose writing a book on the Valley Road to the Gettysburg Campaign. Hes another geologist/ archeologist who works for the feds .His book will deal with how the topography and geology of the area around Gettysburg played a role in the battle places.

Im trying to do the illustrations as a folk artsy way , not so realistic but in a fashion that a naive battlefield artist would do it on dirty paper with pencil and charcoal from a firepit. Its a real bear cuz Im trying to unlearn everything I know like forshortening and flat surfaces and big animals in the background.
its going to look like work by a known Pa Naive artist named Hattie Brunner.
Anybody seen JL Nobody ? Hope hes doing work and not fiddling around in his jug band
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 10:18 am
farmerman wrote:
I dont have a host other than a professional page so I suppose I cant post through a2k yet.

you can post in the gallery on A2K and then link to it - it is brilliantly useful. (thanks Craven)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 10:27 am
Re: NEW ART PROJECTS GOIN ON?
farmerman wrote:
Im starting a bunch of new paintings and Im working in tryptichs, where i have a scene worked out so that any one of the three makes a stand alone but together they work well . Of course Im only at the sketch stages. Im doing plein Air and its cold.

I've been doing images that work in series or alone too. The long thin seascapes (4ft tall to 3ft tall and 6ins to 15ish wide) the series is ongoing and i have to produce some more for an exhibition in January as some have sold and it leaves gaps in the series.

Are yours one scene split into 3 or are they different times of day/season but of the same place (this is how mine work)?

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11568/normal_water%20copy.jpg

this doesn't show the subtle layers and glazes etc very well but gives you an idea. there is a better sense of light in the original and this kills it a bit Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 12:03 pm
still very cool vivien . I like your stuff alot.

No, typical of my personality , I almost work the tryptich out in a Germanic style so that one item of each painting is overlapped to the next. It sounds weird but it gives a sense of manipulated place to the viewer. I feel that is you dont smack em on the head with what Im trying to do, most people dont get it. And since I work in rather detailed moda I need the viewer to catch up with my sense of the entire space not just one scene. Its difficult to reatin the light so now, at least in the last month and into the next, the sunlight at noon is usually the same. my only fear is a huge snowstorm then I have to start a snow scene.

Yesterday, at a social hall in a synagogue wherein we held a memorial, they had an art show of the synagogue members. OY . some of the work wasnt bad but most of it was really overworked. I hate these Bob Ross wannabees who scumble so much paint around that it looks like a pile of spackle. its especially bad when they didnt know what theywere doing. BUT whathe hell. They were getting enjoyment
One old guy painted unashamedly in a very Charles birchfield style and it worked quite well. He knew what he was doing .

theres a show of American Impressionism at the Corchoran until april, im gonna have to get mrs F on the train and take a run to DC and see it
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 12:24 pm
Hmm, I think you can take photos at the Corcoran. At least you could when I was there a decade ago, sans flash. Perhaps you can't photo a special exhibition though. (should you even be interested.)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 02:18 pm
farmer it sounds interesting - will you post it when you've finished? I'd love to see it.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 02:30 pm
I haven't painted in quite some time, however, I do like your idea of the improvised easel.
I see you finally got an avatar...nice!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 03:38 pm
yes thank you , setanta had a bunch of downloads of Grant and he skrintched this one down to size.

My easel fits to the headrest of the front seat and sort of locks on and leans the board onto the top of the seat so I can draw and slide around under the board bottom. Its on a rather steep angle so id not like to work in very wet watercolors otherwise Ill have it all over the uphol;stery.

did a little bit today and am just about done with the ground layers.

Osso, they sometimes dont allow cameras in the shows and its happening more and more. i think that, at least at the National Gallery galleries they are handling the whole thing like terror interdiction and not mere annoying flashes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 04:01 pm
I thought of it because when I was in NY in April and went to the Met Museum, I could take pics sans flash anywhere but in the Manet Velasquez show. Of course I would have loved to take photos of those, but the room wasn't all that light to use available light, whereas in some other rooms there was enough light.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 11:40 pm
truth
Hi, everyone. Thanks for asking about me, Farmerman. I am SO pleased to see the art section showing some life; it's been real dead lately. Seems to work in cycles. I HAVE been splashing the paint around, working on six not four or five, but SIX acrylic/canvas works at one time. I never thought I could do that. When I worked I always HAD to confine my writing to only one project at a time, total absorption seemed to be my necessity. But I'm delighted to see that I can enjoy painting a number of pictures simultaenously. As I mentioned once before somewhere, I generally begin my paintings on the long enclosed porch of a park model mobile home at a retirement resort about forty minutes from my house. For some reason I feel very free to take risks there, to attack the canvas rather shamelessly. Then I undo some of the damage, picking at them for weeks and months, in my studio at home,until I give up on them. This is what I mean by "painting" a number of paintings simultaneously. I have sent photos of works to a number of A2Kers over the months, AND I have a scanner which I have not tried to understand how to work it. One day I would very much like to share my efforts with you all. I don't need critical responses, but it CAN be helpful. Like anyone who paints, I am an exhibitionist. I'm glad that Asherman is prodding us to share. Keep it up Asher and eventually I'll get off my duff and figure out how to get it done. Maybe Craven will show me how to do the last stage of it.