NEW ART PROJECTS GOIN ON?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 10:50 am
@farmerman,
re the barn? hard to see, odd shape or off perspective.
farmerman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2014 11:45 am
@ossobuco,
yah, he recognized it by the old trick of holding it up in front of a mirror. That accentuated the error. His color palette has always been dynamite. Hes been trained by a series of "itinerant" teachers throughout his life. He also took a few mueum courses at Philly and has been a fulltime employed artist with a lot of his work as illustration.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 03:28 pm
@farmerman,
Anybody hav any experience with Maroger oil medium? (Its aka as MEGILP). Ive been told that its a great way to insert atmospheric prspective nd helping glazings to dry more quickly? I swear Ive never even herd of it till today. Ive been doing some pleinaire of the By and I ran into three other pleinair folks, who were former art students from a foreign country (Canada)
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:22 pm
@farmerman,
just found a new art supply dealer that has a very large selection of various art conservation supplies. Its a website called talas (dot) com.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 04:55 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks, will look.
farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 06:04 am
@ossobuco,
I bought some stuff to remove "foxing' from old drawings etc. I have a whole set of drawings by Earle poole, he a guy I used to work for for two years when I was in high school .
I got thee drawings in a garage sale of one of his relatives and many were a bit spotted with this foxing fungus. I had them in plastic document bags with a document anti-fungal but I was reding about how to actually remove any of the staining using specific conservation chemicals
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
I need to get some polishing pumice to mix with gesso so I can spry a surface onto masonite boards to use as a gritty surface for pastels. ANYBODY done any fine furniture polishing or pastels on a rough (sand) paper
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 02:37 pm
@farmerman,
Not me, but I'll be interested in the responses.
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 05:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I dont think we hve any artsy folks on here any more. People call in with those "paintings" and posters by refrigerator artists.. Maybe I should find an art line on the web
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 06:13 pm
@farmerman,
If you do, let me know.

I did some pastels when still in studio art night school; the pastels nothing to write home about, as they say. 30 courses, I was nutso, loved it all, but pastels didn't get much of that time, and later I got into oil painting. In my later work life, I did a lot of hand drafting, and presentation drawings. At home, I stuck to painting as my thing.
Still I can like knowing the how to's of stuff.

I do have some older how-to art books, which, the truth, I have barely opened, and in any case I doubt they go into the matter of playing with different materials, particularly those that aren't the usual art store products. Still, a good art shop might have some know-how in this. I've found those kind of stores a few times over the years. (I don't mean chain stores.)

Hey, you might ask Realjohnboy - he's owned an art store in Charlottesville VA nearly forever, and it's one of those one of a kind stores. If he doesn't know, maybe one of his long time staff folks does.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:51 am
@ossobuco,
I found a furniture polish source for FFF grade pumice and "rottenstone" (Which is a mix of marble dust and pumice).
Now I have to see how UPS can get it from Minnesota without some kind of "HAZMAT" determination (Its a dust ya know)
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:27 pm
@farmerman,
FOUND IT!!

Golden Artist's Colors makes a fine to coarse pumice gel.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:36 pm
@farmerman,
All right, then!!
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 10:06 pm
Glad you found the golden stuff. It makes an interesting texture, but I never thought of using it as a pastel ground. Pastels are one of the mediums that never stuck with me all that well.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 10:16 pm
@Aldistar,
Nice to see you, Aldistar.
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 03:25 am
@Aldistar,
A friend told me about it and she uses it to be able to make pencil marks and lies on top of her oil paintings.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 09:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Nice to be seen. I've been around, just not posting all that much. Hope everyone is well?
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 03:46 am
@Aldistar,
Since you posted , Ill bring us up to date on my pastel ground.
I tried GOLDEN's product and found it to be somehat expensive. I then found some nice ground pumice and marbl dust at a paint warehouse. I made several mixes of various color latex paint and loaded it into a paint sprayer (with a few tsp of water with which to "thin it" a bit). I spray as if Im doing a car fender. KEEP THE trigger down and extend your spray over the boundaries of your paper . Just swing the airgun in parallel ascending sweeps (DO NOT STOP AND RETRACE YOUR PATH S THAT WILL CAUSE A PILEUP OF PIGMENT THAT YOU WILL NOTICE AFTER ITS DRY)

Nice even sweeps and this becomes a really great ground. You can use ny color of latex so your ground will be whatever color base you want.

Works great!!
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 09:58 pm
Oh my, it's been so long! How is everyone? Still arting away I hope? I'd love to see what people are working on. Here are a couple of my latest pieces done with ink and watercolor. I went with an art deco style for these. "Fall Fae' and 'Winter Fae'.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/497718196316449456/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/497718196316449460/
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2018 05:51 am
@Aldistar,
your pins didnt come through. Maybe Im blocked I dont know.
Ive been doing a lot of plein aire. Right now Im unable to do much woods walking and carrying stuff till my leg heals some more