Your voting record

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:22 am
That's nothing to be embarrassed about, FreeDuck!

New avatar looks good Nimh! (It could still use some cheese, but what the hell.)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:07 am
UK General Elections I have voted in (age stopped me voting sooner):

1997 - Liberal Democrats
2001 - Liberal Democrats

Why? Because I've lived through Tory governments and Labour governments, and think we should let the Lib-Dems have a go for a while. They couldn't do a worse job than either of the other two.

As for the local elections, I missed some through apathy, and voted Lid-Dem in the others.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
Good on ya GD

Thats whom I would vote for if I were British too.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:15 am
i still feel a little nostalgic for ross perot (even from the canadian side); loved to see him appearing on larry king putting up his charts . would his french sounding name a disadvantage in today's political climate ? hbg ... i noticed that CNN has picked up one of his slogans : 'the big sucking sound' ... sure an accurate prediction
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:42 am
Nimh - they've increased their share of the votes over recent decades, but seem to have plateuxed (sp?) at around 20%. They are an advocate of Proportional Representation as well, which I agree with. "First past the post" seems wrong somehow. They usually do well in local elections as well. Oh well, maybe one day people will see sense.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:30 pm
hamburger wrote:
i still feel a little nostalgic for ross perot (even from the canadian side); loved to see him appearing on larry king putting up his charts . would his french sounding name a disadvantage in today's political climate ? hbg ... i noticed that CNN has picked up one of his slogans : 'the big sucking sound' ... sure an accurate prediction

That guy was the bomb. The media shamelessly torched his campaign and screwed the American public out of a great leader.

"The giant sucking sound" was actually his premonition of jobs if NAFTA passed (one of few positions I disagreed with him on), which has obviously come true to some extent. I wonder what he's doing these days.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:26 pm
Dennis Kucinich (sp?) kind of reminds me of him a little -- maybe it's the pointy ears. I just thought Perot was the best. Sadly, he was so good that the two major parties felt the common threat and made haste to prevent viable third parties from gaining ground.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:30 pm
panzade wrote:
Thok. What would we do without you?

well, that was a logical answer...even ;-)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:23 am
bump
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:30 am
Freeduck writes
Quote:
Dennis Kucinich (sp?) kind of reminds me of him a little -- maybe it's the pointy ears. I just thought Perot was the best. Sadly, he was so good that the two major parties felt the common threat and made haste to prevent viable third parties from gaining ground

There are a lot of us who were intrigued by Perot and initially were behind him at least in spirit. I think if he had stayed on track, he had a good chance to be elected the first time around. It was Perot who beat Perot, however, by his paranoid beliefs, accusations, action. Reasonable people were not willing to risk the presidency or the 'red button' with one who appeared to have an unbalanced side no matter how much they appreciated his approach to politics and governance.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:11 am
Perot wiped the floor with the competition at the debates. He more than doubled his following there. On an even playing field with equal time and unbiased reporting he wins in a landslide. The majority of people who watched even one of his "infomercials" were hooked. Just the number who chose not to vote for him because "he didn't have a chance" could have given him the victory.

My favorite moment was when the candidates were asked about government waste. He said something like "these guys are the experts on waste: (He rattled on about the crazy price of hammers and what not then) Take this debate for instance: President Bush brought 187 people with him here today. Mr Clinton brought 93. What are all these people doing? I brought 3 people with me and two of them are complaining they don't have anything to do." Laughing

That guy was the bomb!

(That is very definitely not an exact quote :wink:)
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:40 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I wonder what he [Perot] is doing these days.

He should be running for president, I think he would have won this time around.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:47 am
:smile: That would be cool Einherjar... but by now he might legitimately crazy. :wink: (but I'd vote for him anyway).
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:57 am
He's gone crazy? What is he sufering from?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:20 am
Perot self destructed because when it came down to it he didn't have what it takes to become president. By the time he recovered from the first time he dropped out people began to count him out and a good thing, too. No way he could have come in and singlehadedly reformed the whole government. His idea that every person would be levied a portion of the national debt and we would pay it off right away is the height of absurdity.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:23 am
I didn't vote for the longest time until my attorneys got my conviction reduced to a misdemeanor (that cost a bundle) but I have, in my life, supported repubs, dems and one independent.....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:26 am
And I as well, Bi. Conviction? Shocked
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:31 am
hey..when I was young I had some indiscretions......that's presidential isn't it?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:35 am
Very Happy and so it is.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:43 am
First time I was able to vote was in the 92 election.

92-Perto
96-Didn't vote
00- McCain in Primary (Bush has beady eyes and looks like Alfred
E. Newman). Moved states and didn't make the registration date but would have voted for Bush
04-Bush
0 Replies