Your voting record

Ceili

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:54 am
For what it's worth...

We also don't vote for the prime minister. Canada just got a new prime minister a few days ago. Paul Martin never ran for the job except in party corridors. Although, I think I will vote for his party regardless.
I have pretty much always voted liberal. Pierre Trudeau was my introduction to federal politics. He made it interesting. I wasn't a huge fan of Jean Cretien and if he had run again I would have voted for the Marijauna Party as a protest vote.
I live in the thick of the conservative/reform/alliance country. They wish to americanize canadian politics, repuglican style.
The new deputy prime minister, Anne McLelland is the MP from my home riding. It is a pocket neighbourhood that has consistantly voted liberal.
Ironicaly aside from federal election I have never bet on a winner. School board, municiple, plebisites, provincial, meech lake.............never, not once.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:15 am
1984: Couldn't vote yet, so we knocked down every Mondale/Ferraro sign in the city limits. Twisted Evil
1988: George Bush… Dukakis struck me as an idiot (easily the dopiest VP candidates in history too… potatoe). Shocked
1992: Ross Perot… Campaigned heavily for him (Broke my heart when he quit). Crying or Very sad
1996: Ross Perot… Campaigned heavily for him (Got straight screwed by the old school). Crying or Very sad
2000: Ralph Nader… Couldn't see any difference between Gore and Bush (posers). Mad
2004: Leaning towards General Wesley Clark. Idea
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:24 am
This is all fascinating.

And OccuBill has confirmed something that I had suspected of him.

I have voted less for party on the local level. I think Frank Keating, now Gov. of Oklahoma, ought to be Attorney General instead of that cretin we have now. I voted here in New York for Guiliani (twice) and Bloomberg because I thought the Democrats running weren't up to the job. I voted for Hillary because I thought she was, if Rudy hadn't dropped out it would have been a real struggle for me to decide.

Joe
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:30 am
Some interesting terminology. I suspect that in Canada "liberal" means exactly what it is. In Australia the Liberal Party is the ultra conservative right wing party. Whose grasp on power thankfully is beginning to look shaky now that the opposition has got a capable leader.
0 Replies

Polski

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 08:11 am
1972 - Voted for McGovern. Our county gave him 73% of the vote. To bad the rest of the country hated him.

1976 - J. Carter

1980 - J. Carter

1984 - W. Mondale

1988 - Dukakis

1992 - Bill Clinton

1996 - Bill Clinton

2001 - Al Gore - Whom I belive would have done quite well as president.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 08:28 am
1956 Too young, but favored Democrat Stevenson over Eisenhower
1960 Too young, but favored Republican Nixon over Kennedy
1964 Republican Goldwater over Johnson
1968 Democrat Humphrey over Nixon
1972 Too disgusted with the choices to vote
1976 Democrat Carter over Ford
1980 Republican Reagan over Carter
1984 Democrat Mondale over Reagan
1988 Democrat Dukakis over Bush
1992 Democrat Clinton over Bush
1996 Green Nader over Clinton and Dole
2000 Green Nader over Bush and Gore
2004 Nader
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 08:33 am
1960- Kennedy
1964- Goldwater
1968- Nixon
1972- Nixon
1976- Ford
1980- Reagan
1988- Bush
1992- Bush
1996- Clinton
2000- Gore
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 11:14 am
Raised in a politically active, Yellow Dog Democrat home.
Dad picked up my husband and I on my first election day, drove us to the polls, and said he knew for his troubles, we'd do him a turn and vote for Carter. I had no thought of doing otherwise...
1976--Carter (The Yellow Dog--You won't vote for it twice..) Confused
...until the utter disaster of the Carter Presidency. Rations at the gas station, malaise, humiliation in the desert of Iran and the angry mobs who replaced the blue-collar peeps in the Dem party...
1980--Reagan
...but I regretted it for the first few months of his Presidency. Farmers were blowing their brains out, and my rhetoric against Reagan could have gotten me arrested. But, I saw the logic of his policies after I cooled off. I saw his economic plans working... This is when I started researching the parties, and finding where my beliefs and issues were best represented.
1984--Reagan solidly.
1988--Bush 1. Did give Dukakis a look. Made me laugh.
1992--Bush 1. First year I really considered not voting. I was furious at "Read My Lips" and how out of touch he seemed to be with middle and lower class Americans. Considered Perot, but stomach too queasy...
1996--Dole. Thought it was too bad looks and 'zest' play such a role in the election. (Of course, some zest is necessary to maintain bodily functions.)
2000--Bush. Went with the nominee. He's turned out to be much better than I had imagined. I think, absent partisan interests, history will praise the results of the changes that have begun in Iraq.
2004--Bush, solidly.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 11:16 am
1980: Was just too young to vote but campaigned for Reagan (put up posters, got coffee for local H.Q., ran errands, etc)

1984: R. Reagan

1988: G. Bush

1992: G. Bush

1996: R. Dole

2000: G. Bush

2004: ??? hmmmm I wonder who ??? :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 11:27 am
Almost straight line Liberal federally, and New Democrat provincially, though I voted communist in a federal election once - because he was the only candidate who showed up at an all-candidates debate, and I voted Rhinoceros a few times to protest what I perceived as a lack of real options. I haven't been much of a fan of the last half-dozen prime ministers here, especially the silly Conservative ones. If I could vote separately for Prime Minister and Premier, I'd always vote opposite to my local candidate. I like minority governments best - good things actually seem to get done in those cases.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:50 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
This is all fascinating.

And OccuBill has confirmed something that I had suspected of him.
Joe

Please Joe, don't leave me in suspence! I'm a good sport. Do tell.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:00 pm
Craven
Quote:
I've never voted?

Am I being presumptuous if I ask why?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:03 pm
I don't think he's lived in a country where he had voting rights until this time.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:05 pm
Of course, he's voting GOP, in deference to his blessed grandmother...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:28 pm
au,

Sofia's right. I've never had voting rights.

But she's wrong about voting GOP, I might let my grandmother register me (as a Republican, and just ebcause that means I don't have to bother registering) but I doubt I will vote GOP in the next 4 years.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:53 pm
Craven
Understood.
I have voted in every election since and including Eisenhower. Most times it ends up like buying a pig in a poke. It is similar to that advertisement 'Promise them anything but give them Arpegge". As an example I voted for Nixon twice and Reagan once.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:54 pm
au1929 wrote:
As an example I voted for Nixon twice and Reagan once.

Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:04 pm
1960 Too young, was crazy about John Kennedy
1964 Lyndon Johnson
1968 Hubert Humphrey (was for McCarthy)
1972 George McGovern
1976 James Carter
1980 James Carter
1984 Walter Mondale (voted for Jesse Jackson in primary)
1988 Michael Dukakis
1992 William Clinton
1996 William Clinton
2000 Albert Gore
2004 Democrat

I would like to vote green, have once locally, but I am uncomfortable with the possibility of my vote keeping a Democrat from winning, thus affecting possible balance in legislature/or more. If the vote is lopsided in favor of a Republican, I might vote green, depending on the candidate - or conversely, if there is a gathering momentum where a green could actually win, then I'd also be interested.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:20 pm
Re: Your voting record
Craven de Kere wrote:
Misconceptions about about political affiliation abound.

I remember when I was considered a raging leftie here, some now consider me a rightie, I saw nimh describe me as a centrist Question

Hehhehheh <grinning>

Well, to be more precise I've always considered you what we call in Holland a liberal. Left-wing on non-material issues, right-wing on the economy - in Dutch terms, that is. Too social for the libertarians, too secular for the christian or conservative parties, but averse to the social collectivism of social-democratic and labour parties.

Thus, my humble estimation, in the end, was that in Holland you would probably end up voting for the "Democrats 66" - a small, what we call "left-liberal" party - once founded as a protest party (protest against both labour and the christian parties, that is), now firmly lodged at the exact centre of the Dutch political spectre. Its in the Liberal International together with its bigger, right-wing brother the VVD, and was essential in brokering the left-right coalition of Labour and VVD nine years ago that afforded Holland the very first government without Christian-Democrats since 1918. Here you go: D66, the Dutch Social Liberal Party.

<big grin> - hehhehheh - and you thought my "centrist" remark was pigeonholing, huh? Razz
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:29 pm
I didn't start voting for federal offices until McGovern, but I have stuck with the same ticket choices Joe Nation mentioned.

Things are only slightly different locally, but generally the dems can count on my vote.
0 Replies