4
   

OBSESSIONS; WHATAYAKNOW ABOUT THEM?

 
 
Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 12:20 am

OBSESSIONS; WHATAYAKNOW ABOUT THEM?

A fellow on TV began running 100 miles a week
when he got divorced. Some women r obsessed with shopping.
When I was 13, I was obsessed with a student in my class in school.
She remained daily on my mind for over 20 years.
I was obsessed with the end of gun control,
(until the USSC ruled that Individual gun freedom
was Constitutionally correct in 2008 and 2010),
even tho I 've had plenty of guns since age 8.

Y do people become obsessed?

Do u have any obsessions that u wish to reveal
and/or the reasons for those obsessions ?

Comments about them ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,800 • Replies: 22
No top replies

 
MonaLeeza
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 01:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Macadamia nuts
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 01:38 am

Yeah, thay r good to have.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:28 am

Maybe its good to be obsessed with doing the right thing all the time.
0 Replies
 
PUNKEY
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:50 am
Right or wrong has little to do with it. It's a thinking process that ruminates around one subject.

I remember the day I did not think of my ex. After being thought-obsessed about him and the divorce for 6 months, it was such a relief to not have that all- consuming thought. It really leaves no room for anything else.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 09:33 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
Right or wrong has little to do with it.
It's a thinking process that ruminates around one subject.
It IS.



PUNKEY wrote:
I remember the day I did not think of my ex.
After being thought-obsessed about him
and the divorce for 6 months, it was such a relief
to not have that all- consuming thought.
It really leaves no room for anything else.
Its very burdensome.
I was glad to get rid of mine.





David
0 Replies
 
merlin13
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 06:17 pm
I think obsession means the extreme dedication of all resources to the pursuit of a single goal and to the exclusion of everything else. Except that sometimes, the pursuit of a goal seems to proceed automatically, almost beyond our control. Mine was strange, with the game of checkers. Don't even know what came over me, but eventually I managed to stop.
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  0  
Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 06:19 pm
I think it's funny that you think you are obsessed about gun control - but not the guns themselves.

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 07:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I think it's funny that you think you are obsessed
about gun control - but not the guns themselves.

Cycloptichorn
Since age 8, I 've had plenty of guns for myself.
I don 't need more guns for my own personal security.

I wish to live in a well armed society.
I want my fellow American citizens to be well armed
at all (feasible) times, on a habitual basis.





David
aidan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 07:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Maybe your obsession with guns David really is no more than an obsession with control=or not wanting to be controlled by anyone else, and having the means to retake control of a situation if someone tries to take it away from you.

I don't like to be controlled. It's only been three times that I've ever felt restrained by someone else and those three times I rebelled - probably to the extent that people thought I was overreacting.
Once, a guy who wanted to be with me and I had said no, blocked the door so I couldn't get out. He wasn't going to rape me or anything and I wasn't afraid of him, but I wanted to leave the room and he was bigger than me and he was not letting me. He was TELLING me what I had to do (stay there) because he was bigger than me and could and I can remember just boiling over with rage - that he thought he could tell ME what I had to do.

The other time was when I was giving birth and the nurse was pushing on my belly and all these people were tugging and prodding and I just yelled out,
' Get away from me - stop touching me - leave me alone.'
I felt like a piece of meat with no say in any of it.

The third time this friend of mine was in the car with me and I was driving and she was drunk (again) and she just kept yelling this **** in my ear to the point that I stopped the car and told her to get out, after having asked her repeatedly to be quiet and stop yelling in my ear while I was trying to drive, and she wouldn't.
Still stopped on the side of the road, I told her I was tired of babysitting her and her drinking problem, I pulled out my phone to call another friend to come get her and she grabbed the phone from me and wouldn't give it back. She was bigger and stronger than me and I just looked at her with utter contempt and said, 'You know - you're acting like a ******* bully - give me my phone - it's my property - give it to me right now or I will never speak to you again.'
She wouldn't...I just drove her home - she finally gave me my phone when I pulled up at her house and she got out and I've never spoken to her again.
The fact that she would use her size to control me like that was just too much.

I think I would freak totally out if anyone ever locked me in a room or tried to put me in a straight jacket.
I would not be a good candidate for prison.
I think I'm obsessive about my freedom- I can't stand to feel trapped or constrained.
And my hatred of small spaces and being around small-minded constricting people is probably indicative of that.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:21 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I think it's funny that you think you are obsessed about gun control - but
not the guns themselves.

Cycloptichorn
I don 't mean to imply
that I have not been obsessed with guns themselves.
I have always enjoyed thinking about them
and discussing them. When I was around 3,
in New York, before I had access to any (real) guns,
my eyes LOCKED on the revolvers on the hips of police and of bank guards.

I daydreamed about misappropriating not only the gun,
but whole rig; in my heart, I lusted for it, until I actually got it.

Arizona was and is Paradise; too hot, but Paradise insofar as that was concerned.

(I consider myself to have a subtle touch of OCD,
tho I have never had any repetitive, sequential ceremonies.)
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 05:24 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Maybe your obsession with guns David really is no more than an obsession with control=or not wanting to be controlled by anyone else, and having the means to retake control of a situation if someone tries to take it away from you.
I grew up in a libertarian environment,
both in NY and in Arizona. I was never oppressed.
I had no objections of that nature.

I never gave any thawt to USING a gun against anyone.
I have never mentally targeted anyone.
I obsessed about holding it in my hand, looking at it,
operating the mechanism and target practice.
When I obsessed over guns, I never considered shooting anyone,
altho it was more than obvious to me that if
predatory circumstances arose, then of course
I woud use it defensively against man or beast, depending on the situation
and then shoot to kill; no fooling around. Some people fear & tremble
that thay don 't know if thay coud defensively kill.
I have no qualms about that, in the least,
(just being careful to know what I'm shooting at
and having some thawt to a competent backstop;
e.g., I 'd not want a round to overpenetrate a burglar and hit my $4,OOO HDTV).


aidan wrote:
I don't like to be controlled.
I don 't either, but in candor it has never occurred to me
that I have any reason to complain about that.
I have always felt pretty free.




aidan wrote:
It's only been three times that I've ever felt restrained by someone else and those three times I rebelled - probably to the extent that people thought I was overreacting.
Once, a guy who wanted to be with me and I had said no, blocked the door so I couldn't get out. He wasn't going to rape me or anything and I wasn't afraid of him, but I wanted to leave the room and he was bigger than me and he was not letting me. He was TELLING me what I had to do (stay there) because he was bigger than me and could and I can remember just boiling over with rage - that he thought he could tell ME what I had to do.
Well, geee, in candor, I will confess
that I was on the rong side of that.
I did the same thing: my impression of Gov. George Wallace in the door.
I did an unlibertarian thing; I shoud be ashamed. I guess it makes me a hypocrit.
My girlfriend, Maralyn, drank most of a pint
of 161 proof Puerto Rican rum. She told me
that she was going to put her 4 year old child,
Nancy, next to her in her car and drive to a
crackhouse to spend the day.

I tried to talk her out of it, but she wanted the crack.
That 's when I blocked the door.
She threatened to call the police.
I said that, as her landlord, I invited her
to use my fone to call the police and
explain that she was full of 161 proof rum,
that she had no insurance, no registration,
and no driver's license (all expired)
and that she wanted to drive her child
to a crackhouse for the day, on the public streets of NY.

She re-considered calling the police; maybe not.

She demanded that I clear the way; I refused,
in defense of the motoring public of NY.

She threatened to hit me with her weapon of choice:
her big radio, so she bopped me on the head.
That did not work.

She calmed down in time and I took her out for breakfast.




aidan wrote:
The other time was when I was giving birth and the nurse was pushing on my belly and all these people were tugging and prodding and I just yelled out,
' Get away from me - stop touching me - leave me alone.'
I felt like a piece of meat with no say in any of it.

The third time this friend of mine was in the car with me and I was driving and she was drunk (again) and she just kept yelling this **** in my ear to the point that I stopped the car and told her to get out, after having asked her repeatedly to be quiet and stop yelling in my ear while I was trying to drive, and she wouldn't.
Still stopped on the side of the road, I told her I was tired of babysitting her and her drinking problem, I pulled out my phone to call another friend to come get her and she grabbed the phone from me and wouldn't give it back. She was bigger and stronger than me and I just looked at her with utter contempt and said, 'You know - you're acting like a ******* bully - give me my phone - it's my property - give it to me right now or I will never speak to you again.'
She wouldn't...I just drove her home - she finally gave me my phone when I pulled up at her house and she got out and I've never spoken to her again.
The fact that she would use her size to control me like that was just too much.

I think I would freak totally out if anyone ever locked me in a room or tried to put me in a straight jacket.
I would not be a good candidate for prison.
I think I'm obsessive about my freedom- I can't stand to feel trapped or constrained.
And my hatred of small spaces and being around small-minded constricting people is probably indicative of that.
When I had a lung infection, with a lot of coffing,
my M.D. Rx ed Codine and he demanded and insisted
that I be very rigorous in taking it on his scheldule.
I complied and got claustrophobia. I used to take refuge in my back yard.
I complained; he changed the Rx and the claustrophobia ended.





David
wmwcjr
 
  1  
Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 03:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Gee, David, (as Cyclo says in your quotation) you're obsessed about gun control, but not the guns themselves. Are you not obsessed about all the deadly objects lying around, ready to attack anyone without even a moment's notice?

Buzz saws and hammers and knives, oh, my!

OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 03:38 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
Gee, David, (as Cyclo says in your quotation) you're obsessed about gun control, but not the guns themselves. Are you not obsessed about all the deadly objects lying around, ready to attack anyone without even a moment's notice?

Buzz saws and hammers and knives, oh, my!
U make a very good point, Bill.
People did not wait until guns were invented
to begin murdering @ other, or suiciding.

(Ask Cleopatra. Oops, too late.)





David
wmwcjr
 
  1  
Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 06:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Defenestration has also been quite effective, and a weapon isn't needed. The defenestration of Jan Masaryk in 1948 springs to mind as an historically significant example.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 08:13 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
Defenestration has also been quite effective, and a weapon isn't needed.
The defenestration of Jan Masaryk in 1948 springs to mind
as an historically significant example.
She might have tried that,
but the curtains were in the way n I was watching her like a hawk.
She gave up and I took her out to breakfast.

Interestingly, her 4 year old child, Nancy,
spoke up in Maralyn's defense: "We are going to the crackhouse"
whereupon, I explained the dangers of drugs
and her potential loss therefrom,
while Maralyn listened, with approval.

As of about 10 or 15 years ago,
Nancy was a mother in her own right.





David
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 09:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
aidan wrote:
Maybe your obsession with guns David really is no more than an obsession with control=or not wanting to be controlled by anyone else, and having the means to retake control of a situation if someone tries to take it away from you.
I grew up in a libertarian environment,
both in NY and in Arizona. I was never oppressed.
I had no objections of that nature.

I never gave any thawt to USING a gun against anyone.
I have never mentally targeted anyone.
I obsessed about holding it in my hand, looking at it,
operating the mechanism and target practice.
When I obsessed over guns, I never considered shooting anyone,
altho it was more than obvious to me that if
predatory circumstances arose, then of course
I woud use it defensively against man or beast, depending on the situation
and then shoot to kill; no fooling around. Some people fear & tremble
that thay don 't know if thay coud defensively kill.
I have no qualms about that, in the least,
(just being careful to know what I'm shooting at
and having some thawt to a competent backstop;
e.g., I 'd not want a round to overpenetrate a burglar and hit my $4,OOO HDTV).


aidan wrote:
I don't like to be controlled.
I don 't either, but in candor it has never occurred to me
that I have any reason to complain about that.
I have always felt pretty free.




aidan wrote:
It's only been three times that I've ever felt restrained by someone else and those three times I rebelled - probably to the extent that people thought I was overreacting.
Once, a guy who wanted to be with me and I had said no, blocked the door so I couldn't get out. He wasn't going to rape me or anything and I wasn't afraid of him, but I wanted to leave the room and he was bigger than me and he was not letting me. He was TELLING me what I had to do (stay there) because he was bigger than me and could and I can remember just boiling over with rage - that he thought he could tell ME what I had to do.
David wrote:
Well, geee, in candor, I will confess
that I was on the rong side of that.
I did the same thing: my impression of Gov. George Wallace in the door.
I did an unlibertarian thing; I shoud be ashamed. I guess it makes me a hypocrit.
My girlfriend, Maralyn, drank most of a pint
of 161 proof Puerto Rican rum. She told me
that she was going to put her 4 year old child,
Nancy, next to her in her car and drive to a
crackhouse to spend the day.

I tried to talk her out of it, but she wanted the crack.
That 's when I blocked the door.
She threatened to call the police.
I said that, as her landlord, I invited her
to use my fone to call the police and
explain that she was full of 161 proof rum,
that she had no insurance, no registration,
and no driver's license (all expired)
and that she wanted to drive her child
to a crackhouse for the day, on the public streets of NY.

She re-considered calling the police; maybe not.

She demanded that I clear the way; I refused,
in defense of the motoring public of NY.

She threatened to hit me with her weapon of choice:
her big radio, so she bopped me on the head.
That did not work.

She calmed down in time and I took her out for breakfast.
I feel like an unLibertarian hypocrit,
qua my adventure with Maralyn.
A hypocrit; I shoud be ashamed; anti-libertarian nightmares.




wmwcjr
 
  1  
Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 01:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I disagree with you, David. You did the right thing. You may have saved a life that night. At least that's my opinion.
Pemerson
 
  1  
Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 02:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't see you as being obsessed with guns, but you may be obsessing when you defend your right to own them, or one. You have made guns the subject from which you debate and argue here on A2K. You have fun with it and people take you much too seriously.

Whatever happened to the crack lady? Did you ever get to see her sober and clean?

I've suffered from obsession with a particular guy. Oh gawd, how awful. It is possible to see real humor in our miserable situations, though later, much later.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 03:40 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
I disagree with you, David. You did the right thing.
You may have saved a life that night. At least that's my opinion.
I dunno whether the libertarians woud drum me out of the corps.





David
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

I saw the girl who isn't there.... - Question by boomerang
Mentally ill. - Discussion by sometime sun
Adulthood Life Questions - Question by inkluv99
Trolls represent human's basic nature - Discussion by omaniac
weird dream - Discussion by void123
Is being too strong a weakness? - Question by ur2cdanger1
Zombies Existence - Discussion by RisingToShine
How can we be sure that all religions are wrong? - Discussion by reasoning logic
 
  1. Forums
  2. » OBSESSIONS; WHATAYAKNOW ABOUT THEM?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/19/2021 at 11:31:05