Road To Super Bowl, 2011. You Can Pretend To Know About The NFL!

George

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:55 am
@jespah,
I like pina coladas
and getting caught in the rain
and the smell of the ocean . . .
Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 10:08 am
@George,
Laughing
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:03 pm
The Bears and the Packers have played each other some 180 times since the pro football games started in 1921. The rivalry is intense. Two teams from blue collar cities.
Oddly, only once before have they met in a game approximating the Championship game this weekend.
It was 1941. December 14th. 46,000 fans showed up despite it being just a week after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The Bears won and they went on to win the equivalent of the Super Bowl a week later in front of a crowd of just 26,000.
The clouds of war had settled in.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:19 am
@realjohnboy,
Thanks, rjb, until I saw your post I thought I might have been taking Sunday's game too seriously.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:32 am
I've got soccer teammates considering NOT playing in our game on Sunday because the Jets are playing ... Seriously?
George

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:34 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
I've got soccer teammates considering NOT playing in our game on Sunday
because the Jets are playing ... Seriously?

This isn't gonna be another foot joke, is it?
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:50 am
realjohnboy wrote:
The Bears and the Packers have played each other some 180 times since the pro football games started in 1921. The rivalry is intense. Two teams from blue collar cities.
Oddly, only once before have they met in a game approximating the Championship game this weekend.
It was 1941. December 14th. 46,000 fans showed up despite it being just a week after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The Bears won and they went on to win the equivalent of the Super Bowl a week later in front of a crowd of just 26,000.
The clouds of war had settled in.

wandeljw wrote:
Thanks, rjb, until I saw your post I thought I might have been taking Sunday's game too seriously.

http://content.glidesociety.com/image.aspx?id=c46e0bd4-a6cb-4aec-a65f-8f63bfb450f3
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:55 am
Cool pic.
Thanks, IB.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:40 am
@George,
George wrote:
This isn't gonna be another foot joke, is it?

They sorta write themselves, don't they?
George

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:31 pm
@Ticomaya,
Yeah, sorta do.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 01:39 pm
@George,
You're welcome, George.

I should give credit where credit is due. I got the pic from the New York Times.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 05:29 pm
There seem to be a couple of NFL games tomorrow.
The early game will feature the Green Bay Packers at the Chicago Bears. Those two cities have much in common as working class towns. They, separated by only 186 miles and both on Lake Michigan, are long time rivals.
The temperature at Soldier Field is predicted to be 19 degrees and the sky might be cloudy. The wind will be coming from the SSE at 8 mph.
Later, the NY Jets will be visiting the Pittsburgh Steelers, 376 miles mostly due west. Two other blue collar teams.
The weather at Heinz Field is expected to have a temp of 15 with a NNW breeze of 7 mph.
This is a classic end to a long NFL season. 4 teams playing outside in January. None of the domed-stadium crap. This is the way the game was designed to be.
RJB, Tico, Region, Jespah, Ragman, Andy, George, Edgar, McGentrix, Fbaezer and Sozobe have the Packers. So do CoinToss and 5 of the 8 ESPN experts.
Miz Cowdoc, Tsarstepen, Wandeljw, Aidan and Oylok are picking the Bears.
3 of the ESPN experts go along with that. President Obama picks the Bears 20-17.
See you tomorrow. Here in Cville it is 20 degrees with a wind from the west. A good day tomorrow to stay inside.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 05:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm not so sure the Jets are to be considered a blue collar team.

that's no small feat...
George

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 05:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Again with the feet!

But I agree. The Jets are a yuppie team.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 05:49 pm
Okay. I made that up about the "blue collar" Jets. Jets/Giants? Which is more blue collar? I have been to NYC. I can't understand their accent and they can't understand mine.
spendius

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 06:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
Never mind the accent--it's the way of life I can't understand.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
This is a classic end to a long NFL season. 4 teams playing outside in January. None of the domed-stadium crap. This is the way the game was designed to be.

The game was designed to be played in the fall with championships in Dec.

1941 - championship game Dec 21
Superbowl 1 - Jan 15
Superbowl 45 Feb 6

In a couple of decades we may be seeing a championship in March.

The funny thing is the first NFL championship game was played indoors due to the cold and snow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Playoff_Game,_1932

I picked the Bears as well. I wish I hadn't after watching GB last week. Ah well, we will see.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 12:56 pm
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 01:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks, Edgar. I saw that post on The Lovely Ms. Letty's radio thread and was about to ask you to post it here.
He shoulda passed the ball.
Monday morning quarterbacks will be out in full force tomorrow.
I am so excited! Kickoff is just over an hour away.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 01:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am looking forward to the NFC game.

I cannot bring myself to choose between Ben Rubmypenis, and Rex Ryan and his fleet footed felons...

go bears.