Do you thumb up posts you see as unfairly thumbed down?

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:09 pm
I am betwixt and between on this. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I let the turkey (as I see it) sit, either because I agree it's a down, but much more often that I want disjuncture to be obvious and not sugarcoat it.

I suppose I need to declare that I don't thumb up - or try not to - just because I agree with someone. More because of the cleverness, the well written post. I'm probably fibbing on that, but I try. And I rarely thumb down for disagreement, though I suppose I do that once in a while.. I at least occasionally, or even often, thumb up sharp posts from those posting with other than my viewpoint.

I'm aware many a2kers skip the whole thumb thing, which is probably wise. Still, the process interests me.

Looking at my own motivations, I have thumbed up someone's post that I think has been downed for disagreement reasons, as a mild corrective.

It is a dilemma I've not resolved. And you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 4,505 • Replies: 51

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:17 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't care what anyone else does with the thumbs and have no desire to control how they use them.

I use them to collapse threads I don't care to have clutter up my A2K experience. The numbers are so meaningless to me that I rarely even notice them. I don't use it to express a vote and I rarely use them to collapse a post within a thread. That is taken care of satisfactorily with the ignore button and there is rarely a need to thumb down a post.
Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
... I use them to collapse threads I don't care to have clutter up my A2K experience. ...

Yup, that pretty much sums up my usage of it as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
I get you on the ignore button, but the problem for me is that some of the people I want to ignore (hi, spendy) post gloriously or at least sanely much of the time.

I don't post this to change minds, just talking about my own present take on all this, and wondering about the rest of us.

I use Ignore as a temporary respite.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:39 pm
I should add, I was talking about posts, not threads.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
I surely don't want to control how people use thumbs.
I am interested in how we all use them.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Most of the time I do thumb up a post I see as unfairly thumbed down.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
If I remember, I think even Robert does that, but that was quite a while ago.

I'm considering stopping, but I'll have to throttle my right hand..
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
The ignore feature is made moot when much of the time (mainly in political threads and hot button social issue threads) the person in which I am trying to ignore is quoted by a third party in large text chunks and thusly the ignored users have indirectly circumvented my Ignore user order in the first place.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:51 pm
I take my cue from finn, I thumb down posts when I don't like their avatar.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I find it disturbing that there are an unknown faction of individuals who stalk other a2kers and thumb down that person's post no matter how irrelevant the thread or the post is to the disagreement these two a2kers rationally or irrationally share between each other.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:54 pm
@dyslexia,
Dys, you are nursing, pumping, an old gripe. Finn has said several times that he has gotten to appreciate you.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 04:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
There, I just automatically posted your zero up.

So help me, it's like a tic.

I think the zeroers aren't all that many people.

The question is whether to let this stuff lie (lay?). My instinct is to defend.
boomerang

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:02 pm
In my entire A2K history I think I thumbed down maybe 5 posts -- and those were all horribly offensive.

But I do thumb up posts I like for a variety of reasons mostly because I think the persons speaks the truth but sometimes just if they're funny or provocative (provocative in the way of making me think, not in the sense that they're racy).

I really do dislike the thumbs down option on threads though. I think it sends a message to people browsing that the thread isn't worth looking at just because one person wasn't interested in the subject. I understand that some people see it as clutter but I wish it didn't show a negative score on the entire thread.... maybe just got rid of the thread on their screen or something instead. I think it discourages newcomers and prevents them from daring to ask their first question. The only threads I vote down are the obvious viral marketing threads.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I thought you were jesting about my prior posting being thumbed down then I saw that someone thumbed down Dyslexia after I thumbed his posting up to two.

Thanks for the balance in the thumbs based force.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
I agree with you there, for sure.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Dys, you are nursing, pumping, an old gripe. Finn has said several times that he has gotten to appreciate you.
yeah right, the gabby hayes **** stopped what 2 days ago? nope yesterday
Quote:
Not my experience, but then I'm not the living avatar of Gabby Hayes.
finn, 12/31/10
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:11 pm
@boomerang,
I'm not interested in a batches of threads (just ask me about philosophy, a subject I thought I was curious about). I wait and don't just shut them down, so they can get established.

But that is re threads, not particular posts.

Not that talking about threads is somehow wrong here. Carry on...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:12 pm
@dyslexia,
Don't make me search his posts in your favor.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
Snort, you have a zero...
0 Replies