Do you thumb up posts you see as unfairly thumbed down?

djjd62

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 08:19 am
for a while i was regularly thumbing up bill and hawks posts in the rape thread, just because there was so obviously a vendetta against them (and later rumours of sock puppetry)

wandeljw

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 09:25 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I will occasionally use the thumbs up if someone says something that I wanted to say. I'll thumb it up instead of posting without adding anything new to the conversation.

This is a good point and a reason that is often overlooked. For me, thumbing a post up is a way to agree without posting something superfluous.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 10:00 am
On average, I figure I give about ten "thumbs up" to every "thumbs down." If a post makes me laugh or makes me think "that's a good point," I'll give it a thumbs up. Occasionally, though, I will give a thumbs up to a post that is at zero or in negative territory because I think it has been unfairly "thumbs downed" -- that's just the kind of guy that I am.

Nowadays, the only times I give a thumbs down to a post is when I'm interested in a thread topic that has developed a seriously disruptive and completely irrelevant sub-thread: then I'll give a thumbs down to every off-topic post, just so that I can concentrate on the on-topic posts. I'll admit, however, that the times I have done this I have eventually given up, as the off-topic posts come to completely dominate the thread and I just abandon the whole thing in frustration.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 10:16 am
@djjd62,
me 2
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 10:21 am
I thumbs-up quite a lot, usually when my post wouldn't amount to much more than "yep" or "I agree" or "lol." I will sometimes thumbs-up a post that seems to be thumbs-downed for no reason other than spite. (That is, the post itself is totally fine.)

I thumbs-down stuff that I think is beyond the pale, for a variety of reasons. (Racist or really mean in a personal way or whatever.) Also spam etc.

I'll occasionally thumbs-up topics that look interesting and I think are worth checking out but that I don't have any particular comment on, yet. (As in, helping to boost the ranking so that it's more likely to appear in "featured topics" for other people to find.)

I thumbs-downed some of the word game threads long ago, the nice thing about them though is that they tend to be neverending so I haven't thumbs-downed a thread in a while.
Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 08:29 am
@sozobe,
Basically, I ditto JoefromChicago and Sozobe's replies about Thumbs-up/down use as well as a few 0thers.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 08:59 am
@ossobuco,
Do you thumb up posts you see as unfairly thumbed down?

Yes, quite regularly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:03 am
Thanks for all the responses. I think now I'll keep doing it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:30 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You are talking about threads, Reyn.

I am talking about individual posts - see the thread title.

In that case, I do, on occasion, thumb up a post, because I thought it okay.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:33 am
@Reyn,
You mean one that is at 0 or -1 (etc) or no matter what the thumb number is...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:21 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
Knowing that , when I see a post with a few thumbs on it, either up or down, I notice that it is generally just a handful. Maybe 5 or 6 either way.

you can just see the differential - not the actual number of votes

there could have been 100 thumbs going one way and 106 going the other way - you'll see something around 5 or 6
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 05:57 pm
@ossobuco,
No, even if it is above zero, to show that I liked their post.
0 Replies