Do you thumb up posts you see as unfairly thumbed down?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:15 pm
@dyslexia,
He's teasing you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Or wait, that is actually the question, should I try to balance stuff with opposite votes.

I think this devolves to if a vote is agreement, or appreciation of able argument.

Which is like, do you like chocolate or vanilla. (I'm cynical)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:49 pm
I'm with Boomer, I rarely vote down a post although I have done it to a few really obnoxious ones and I've found since I've bounced two idiots, I've not done it again.
I vote up posts all the time and generally not because I agree with them, sometimes I completely disagree but I appreciate the way they've written a post or they've made me laugh.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 07:53 pm
If there is an on-topic, thought out response that is at -1 or 0, I will consider up thumbing it. Once they get really negative, I don't waste my time.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:52 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
... I understand that some people see it as clutter but I wish it didn't show a negative score on the entire thread.... maybe just got rid of the thread on their screen or something instead. ...

That would be my preference as well. Having said that, and since it's our only option, at the moment, for clearing out threads I'm not interested in, I'll continue doing it until Robert gets something better in here.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:57 pm
@Reyn,

if you add a tag to a thread before thumbing it down, it's score will not change...
boomerang

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
Good to know! Thank you!!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
Seems like it would be rather easy to just change the font color of the numbers used in the thumbs to the same as the background color so they become invisible, but are still useful to the internal site software.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:09 pm
@Reyn,
You are talking about threads, Reyn.

I am talking about individual posts - see the thread title.
2PacksAday

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:20 pm
Yes, quite often.

There are a handful of members here that get thumbed down constantly, for no obvious reason...there is nothing anyone could even begin to disagree with, on posts I've seen tagged with a negative - 5, or worse.
dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:44 pm
@2PacksAday,
Yes, I thumb up if I think a post is fine and has been unfairly thumbed down.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:49 pm
At a whim or out of aggravation I thumb posts up or down. I always thumb down roger, dys, osso and bumblebeeboogie.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar? You're breaking my heart! How could you thumbs down anything the Pope of a2k, Dys writes here? Surprised
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sorry. The people in my list piss me off.
2PacksAday

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 11:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't think I've ever thumbed one down, threads yes, to hide them...but not posts....but there are many posts that a thumbs down just isn't enough...they call for the "finger" and since we don't have that option yet...

There was a member here that, from my pov...would simply flip out over the smallest things...all I could see was that video of the little {I think German} kid that flips out over a computer game....I'm sure most of you have seen it.

But, yeah, that guy really needed the finger a few times.....I would normally never say a name, but I'll do this....if you say the name of the 28th Potus, surname first, you should know instantly.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 01:47 am
Like 2packs, I've thumbed down threads (by the score) but never touched a post either way. And what's 'unfairly', anyway? What may seem idiotic to me is brilliant to someone else.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 04:07 am
No, i don't ever "rate" posts by that silly system. I understand some people use it avoid seeing posts which are offensive to them, but then, they must have read them at one point in order to have been offended. Once, and only once, in a fit of sarcastic humor, i went though a thread and "voted up" every post by a member who had been whining about this. Otherwise, i find it silly.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 06:08 am
a2k has hundreds of regular users.
I bet, if I put my head down, with pen and paper I could name and list over 100 of them easily.

Knowing that , when I see a post with a few thumbs on it, either up or down, I notice that it is generally just a handful. Maybe 5 or 6 either way.

Unless it is something ABOUT how a2k works in general. THEN.. I will see a post maybe reach 10 thumbs.

So, out of a couple hundred... only 5 or 6 actually choose to use the thumbs on a regular basis, and only about 10 really care to thumb UP an informative post.

Since the thumbs are apparently important to those few, they can do as they wish with them. Its a popularity vote with them... its a show of importance or a backwards personal attack.

I dont care. Thats too few people for me to give any acknowledgment, credit or worry to.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 06:10 am
though I will say this..

I have used the thumbs DOWN in a very busy thread to shorten super long posts to make reading easier.
In general, when the conversation has moved to another page, I will remove my thumb.

For me, if I were to use it as a tool , that has been my most common usage.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 07:05 am
@shewolfnm,
I will occasionally use the thumbs up if someone says something that I wanted to say. I'll thumb it up instead of posting without adding anything new to the conversation. If I see a post with four or more thumbs up, I will be sure to read it, so it does help me sort the wheat from the chaff.