The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 07:32 am
@wandeljw,
Gallup has Huntsman at 1% "nationally."
Iowa (3%); New Hampshire (3%); South Carolina (2%); Nevada (1%)
wandeljw

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 08:01 am
@realjohnboy,
Thanks, RJB. I must admit that that's not what I wanted to hear. Not your fault, though. Smile
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 09:35 am
This morning, I heard an on air obituary for Stetson Kennedy, a man previously unknown to me.

A Floridian, he began collecting folklore (a dead matter now) while still in his teens. He was a friend of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and an associate of Zora Neale Hurston while employed by the WPA. Alan Lomax and Woody Guthrie praised his work.

Because a bad back kept him out of the military during WWII, he decided the patriotic thing to do was to infiltrate the KKK.

Currently, a few false prophets of the right are attempting to push a rewritten version of American history on the poorly read and the unable to reason. THose criminals claim that the left has promoted slavery and racism and that fundamentalist Christians worked for civil rights.

Stuff and nonsense. During this period, racism was so rampant in the US that Kennedy's books were published in France by Jean-Paul Sartre. Kennedy also provided Drew Pearson with information that was used to expose the Klan and Jim Crow on the radio.

Kennedy's work has been challenged but the challenger's wind was largely knocked out his sails.
JTT

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 10:32 am
@plainoldme,
Long time no see, Pom. How's tricks?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 12:42 pm
Apropos to nothing in particular, a Rasmussen poll* on 8/14 found that 47% believe that the government should require all radio and television stations to offer equal amounts of conservative and liberal commentary. 39% oppose the notion.
*1000 LV with a margin of error of 3%. I can't get the exact wording of the question because I am not a Rasmussen Premium subscriber.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 12:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
could we opt for none of the above?

what happens if we don't allow tv or radio ads in the election, and people had to read or think about it...?
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 01:18 pm
@Rockhead,
I like the idea of a government truth in media commission. I will accept the challenge of making this work. I will sit at home in my underwear watching tv all day. I will need, in addition to pay, catered meals. I want to be sure that Biff and Muffie on the hard-hitting show on local tv - Biff and Muffie Laugh Incessently Every Noon - is fair and balanced.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 02:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
In the UK the main political parties are allowed a fixed amount of party political broadcasts. The two main parties are allowed the same amount of time, the lessor parties less time, depending upon their support. No other political advertising on television or radio is allowed.

Newschannels/programmes are required to be unbiased. Other programmes that are not on the BBC aren't so strict. Newspapers are partisan. On election day itself there are very strict rules on what can be broadcast until after the polls close.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 02:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks, Izzy.
In the U.S. the broadcast media and the politicians are in a rather incestuous relationship. The former have lots of talking heads on numerous outlets and the latter want to appear wherever there is a camera. And the corporate owners love the political ad money every election cycle.
Print media is dying if not already dead.
In the U.K. - if I understand your comments - the situation is reversed. Broadcast media is restricted while print media, as we saw in the Murdoch thing, is still critical.
I am continuing to mull this over.
JTT

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 03:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
I am continuing to mull this over.

Let me give you a hand, RJB.

CORRUPTION!!!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 03:24 pm
@realjohnboy,
Print Media is allowed to be partisan, and certain papers have a lot of sway over their readers. This is a small country though, and there is not the emphasis on city that you have. Newspapers are national or local. Local papers tend to be mostly concerned with what's going on in the city/surrounding area.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:34 am
Quote:
Republican presidential contender and Texas Gov. Rick Perry continued his criticisms of Social Security calling the program a “monstrous lie” reports the Houston Chronicle.

“It is a Ponzi scheme for these young people. The idea that they’re working and paying into Social Security today, that the current program is going to be there for them, is a lie,” Perry said at a campaign stop in Ottumwa, Iowa. “It is a monstrous lie on this generation, and we can’t do that to them.”

Hard to see someone getting elected prez with statements like this.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:40 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I wouldn't bet on that! Look who's the front runner(s) today.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree...he's alienating a large part of the country....but as a young person, I agree with him.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:59 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I agree...he's alienating a large part of the country....but as a young person, I agree with him.

Well, I sure as hell don't. I'm 32. Do I expect SS and Medicare to still exist in 30 years, when I retire? You're goddamn right I do, and there's zero reason to think they won't; because both programs require only modest changes to remain fully functional.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 11:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It would be modest changes now, but it won't be if they sit on their arses and do nothing to change the program.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 11:02 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

The only reason that this might be true is because those shithooks in the Congress routinely plunder the Social Security Trust Fund, which was intended to be sacrosanct. When the call of pork echoes through the halls of Congress, nothing is any longer sacred.
revelette

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 11:22 am
For all the attention and hype on Perry; Romney is still the one for Obama to worry about.

Poll: Obama Tied With Romney, Leads Other Republicans

Quote:
President Obama is running even with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in a hypothetical head-to-head general election matchup but outpaces the rest of his Republican rivals in a new national poll.

The president and Romney are tied at 45 percent, according to a Public Policy Polling (D) survey released Tuesday. Obama and Romney were tied at 45 in a PPP poll released last month as well. Texas Gov. Rick Perry trails Obama by six points, 49 percent to 43 percent. Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann trails the president by eight points, 50 percent to 42 percent. In July, she trailed by seven. Businessman Herman Cain trails the president by 10 points, and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is behind by 13 points.

Notably, Obama edges his rivals among independent voters. Romney comes closest to the president in this category but still trails by nine points. The others are behind by at least 24 points.

Obama leads both Palin and Bachman among female voters by at least 16 points. Male voters are split evenly between Obama and Bachmann. The president has a five-point edge over Palin among men. Obama loses male voters to Romney, 40 percent to 51 percent, and to Perry by two points, 45 percent to 47 percent.

The president loses white voters to his Republican rivals but holds substantial leads among minority voters.

For this poll, PPP surveyed 700 registered voters from Aug. 18-21. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.7 percent.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:28 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

What about Romney?

If he wins the nomination, I will vote for him in the general election and not while holding my breath.

Right now...he's too plastic.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
Huntsman doesn't have a prayer and all he can do now is destroy his standing in the Republican Party.

I like the guy, but if goes nuclear in a Quixotic campaign and provides Obama with campaign soundbites, he's dead to me.
0 Replies