The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

JTT

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:46 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
I'm not surprised in the least

That's not what I asked. I remarked that it is shocking that this is new info for folks like you.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:46 pm
@sozobe,
Oh ****, sorry bout that. I should have paid more attention.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:48 pm
@JTT,
That what is new info, then?

I'm not surprised that she's an inept hunter. I'm not surprised that she's been exposed as an inept hunter. I think it's interesting that there's an op-ed about what an inept hunter she is in USA Today, which is not exactly a lefty-liberal newspaper.
sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
no prob
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:50 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

That what is new info, then?

I'm not surprised that she's an inept hunter. I'm not surprised that she's been exposed as an inept hunter. I think it's interesting that there's an op-ed about what an inept hunter she is in USA Today, which is not exactly a lefty-liberal newspaper.

Did you see this through Sully? That was the point he was making - that the establishment finally seems to have given up on her.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Right. And yes.

Well he was saying two things actually -- that the Republican elite has started to turn against her (Krauthammer et al) and that this kind of article is a bad (or good depending on your perspective) sign about how her base views her. And that it's more powerful for coming from someplace like USA Today (as opposed to the NYT or something).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 01:07 pm
While we're on the subject, I just now (like 2 minutes ago) was reading "Parade" magazine (most people get it on Sundays with their paper, I think, I get it with our local weekly) and found this from an interview with Joe Scarborough:

Quote:
You wrote a blistering piece about Sarah Palin in November. Did you hear from her?

No. I will say I flinched when I wrote it, because I know the personal impact words can have on candidates' kids and spouses. But I just know she's not qualified to be president. By the way, I don't think she's going to run. I don't think it was a coincidence that a lot of the presidential talk came when she was releasing her book. As Newt Gingrich said, "Tell people you're going to run for president -- it helps move books!"

http://www.instepmagazine.com/celebrity/sunday-with/2011/01/joe-scarborough.html
JTT

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 01:27 pm
@sozobe,
I think she will run and she just might get the Repug nod. With that, there's a chance that this person, light years dumber than Reagan and Bush jr combined [is that possible?] could be elected president by the "people" of the US of A.
sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 01:28 pm
@JTT,
I think it's very possible that she'll run. I don't think she'll be able to pull it off though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 01:30 pm
@JTT,
That's a distinct possibility in the US. All a candidate needs is a glib one-liner to respond to the very complex problems facing our country.

Palin's response that she has foreign experience because Alaska is surrounded by two foreign countries still sells to many dummies who call themselves Americans.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 01:32 pm
comedian louis ck was on the radio the other day talking about a comment he made about ms. palin and hitler, a publicist had suggested he apologize for comparing her to a man who killed 6 million jews, he explained that wasn't the hitler he was referring to, he was comparing her to pre holocaust hiltler, a charismatic leader able to enthral millions of people and most likely to convince them to kill 6 million jews, classic
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 01:33 pm
@djjd62,
Precious! GW Bush was able to influence the conservatives to kill tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis without so much as Hitler's Final Solution.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 04:29 pm
Good evening.
Larry Sabato* of UVA is out today with a 1st look at the races for Senate seats in the 2012 election cycle. He acknowledges that it is "ridiculously early" but that didn't stop him. Here are some bullet points from his article.
> There will be 33 Senate seats on ballots around the country
> Democrats currently hold 23 of those vs 10 belonging to Republicans
> The Republicans will need to pick up 4 seats in order to take control of the Senate (if the VP remains a Dem) or 3 if the Repubs defeat Obama and get a Repub VP
> 11 seats are listed as "solid" or "likely" for a Dem hold while 7 Repub seats get that designation
> 8 seats are shown by Sabato as "leaning" towards one or the other party. 6 are in the Dem column while 2 belong to the Repubs. One of the Repub seats is listed now as leaning Dem
> Sabato has 7 toss-ups, with 6 of them now occupied by Dems and 1 by a Repub. He uses the words "vulnerable" or "very vulnerable."

*I am not a big fan of Larry Sabato from here in Charlottesville, but I note that Nate Silver today cited him, amongst others, as being pretty accurate in predicting the outcome in last November's House races.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm a huge fan of Sabato. He predicted the 2010 Republican gains in the House long before just about anyone else.

What's not to like about him?
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't know, Finn. He is so damned ubiquitous around Charlottesville. If there is a tv camera on, Larry will run towards it, without really knowing why the camera is there. The local media fawn over getting his take on things.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:31 pm
The depth of hatred people express for political figures of either party is, at least, disturbing, and to my way of thinking demonstrative of the extreme immaturity, if not insanity, of the haters.

Comparing Palin or Bush to Hitler is at best simply childish, and at worst, malignant--- just as is comparing Obama to Stalin.

There are plenty of truly repugnant political figures like John Edwards, John Kerry, Richard Nixon, and Joe McCarthy, but even they don't rise or fall to the level of madmen like Hitler or Stalin.

How ironic is it that so many Haters on the left express such disdain for tribalisim.

djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
public figures, regardless of gender or position, exist for the sole purpose of being mocked
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:35 pm
@djjd62,
The saying goes, if they can't handle the heat, they should get out of the "kitchen."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You mistake hatred for honesty but that's to be expected, Finn, for you have never had any association with the latter.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 10:24 pm
Media Matters wrote:
Fox's 2012 GOP Influence
January 07, 2011 6:31 pm ET

In a November ad for their special series "Fox News Reporting: The Challengers for 2012," Fox News promised "unrivaled access" to "the GOP's top White House contenders." Such access, however, isn't hard when correspondents just have to walk down the hall.

That Fox News helps Republicans get their message across to their conservative base -- long documented and publicly acknowledged by Republican officials -- is nothing new. But what's unprecedented is the level of influence one news organization can exert on a party's presidential primary, and the rest of the media's coverage of that primary, by simple fact of who is on its payroll.

Fox News employs five Republicans considering runs for the GOP nomination: Sarah Palin, Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and John Bolton. All five regularly appear on the network through exclusive contracts and all five have used their employment to position themselves for their respective possible runs.

Full article

Additional analysis of how Fox factors into the GOP run is worth discussing. There can be a bit of a chicken-and-egg paradox with candidates popularity given the kinds of exposure Fox can, and plans to, provide exclusively. Is a candidate popular because they are on Fox News, or are they on Fox News because they are popular?

What does this mean for conservative candidates in the running? Elite, else fail? Will the GOP step away from the "grass roots" approach they have tried to sell for the last few years with the Tea Party?

I'm wondering if the Tea Party will still be useful to the GOP or if they have served their purpose already.

Another thought I had today is about how to watch who is buddy buddy with the Speaker of the House. Part of a successful campaign is presenting to the general population that you have a plan (or the idea that you have one). The GOP candidates who play well with Boehner, have a strategic advantage in the late game. They can play their cards close to the vest and build on the image of an entirely Republican gov-- Not just winning the White House, but also having a GOP Congress with a plan. Boehner will be able to play up or down specific candidates plans and act as a sort of validation authority.

A
Republicans
T