The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 12:38 pm
@realjohnboy,
We have been discussing a daring initiative which Mr Santorum has put on the table John. Why is that off topic?

Leaps and surges and troughs and drops in polls have been up and down like a bride's nightie and today's figures are out of date as soon as the next ones appear.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 01:37 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I don't believe you Frank. That's a hysterical exaggeration.

What part of what I said, Spendius, is a hysterical exaggeration. That the two of them go to the same Mass as Scalia...or that the scenario scared the **** out of me?
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That the event scared the **** out of you. I bet you forgot it as soon as you took the top off your boiled egg and reached for the salt.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:15 pm
@spendius,
[quote="spendius" Why is that off topic
[/quote]

> Spendi knows all and sees all about (things) bowel related
> He (Spendi?) loves to go into bedrooms and bathrooms to make sure you are not wearing a condom
> **** off you silly twat
> Who gives a **** what you think.

I ask again. Wouldn't you all get a wider audience if you started a new thread? Isn't that what you want rather then seeing only a few of you hanging around this one, snarling at each other. It it too much to ask that we kill this one?
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:19 pm
@realjohnboy,
Nah. We have our feet under the table John. It's a great thread. You should be proud of it. Those quotes are the bubbles.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
Are you of the opinion that you own whatever thread you start, RJB?
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:32 pm
@JTT,
I think Mr Santorum is trying to force his three opponents into either supporting him on this contraception issue or being lined up as an Obaman. Just for conservatives of course. He isn't concerned with the opposition. It's a litmus test.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:57 pm
@JTT,
No, JTT. It would seem to me though that the title of the
thread is not very intriguing to what you are discussing. Hence, there are just the few of you still here and not really saying much new. Some amusing insults.
I am suggesting that one of you start a new thread. Contraception might be a topic. You might even get opinions from females. You are looking for opinions that differ from yours? Perhaps you are not.
JTT

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
When falsehoods are promulgated, RJB, they must be met head on.

The inanity that is the Republican nomination process will certainly go on, and on, and on ... .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
What I have been saying about Mr Santorum's initiative on contraception seems to have startled a few on here.

Also, John, you never know who is reading this stuff. Someone influential is always a possibility. I'm working on Mr Santorum's speech ideas in case one of his team is looking in. Okay?

I daresay there were some Google searches when the row started. We are not imitating sitting around in armchairs. We are a third chamber so to speak. That's the reserve when the other two get filled up.
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 04:15 pm
@spendius,
Mr Santorum's initiative had been thought through before being announced you know John. Thoroughly you can bet. Seeing how people react to it is a team effort. People tell lies in phone polls. Especially about issues such as that one. People tell less lies when they are riled up a bit. I don't know much about the Internet but I'm told there is a thing called "vanity searching". And what is more vain than a presidential campaign. I liked Mr Perry because he didn't seem all that vain.

I feel sure we have been noted. Somewhere in the offices of the slogging minions who all get some job or other if it pays off.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 04:18 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
What I have been saying about Mr Santorum's initiative on contraception seems to have startled a few on here.

I missed that, Spendi, could you provide a link. I'm interested in seeing how an ignorant jerkoff like Santorum could initiate anything.
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:35 pm
@JTT,
You would be surprised, JT, what the fuckers who are obsessed with being *** THE BIG CHEESE*** are capable of. Stalin robbed trains.

Look how we only found out how Mr Obama did it after he had done it.

I'm up for having a raffle for the Presidency. $1 a ticket. Thinking outside the box might be in order.
JTT

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:03 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You would be surprised, JT, what the fuckers who are obsessed with being *** THE BIG CHEESE*** are capable of.

Having cataloged their "excesses" for some time now, I hardly think that's true, Spendi.

Quote:
I'm up for having a raffle for the Presidency. $1 a ticket.

And blowing Americans' illusions that they are involved - what a cruel guy you are! Smile
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:22 pm
@JTT,
I thought I might place a quote on this thread which I think is relevant to Mr Santorum's position. It is from Sir Henry Rider Haggard's very wonderful romance Cleopatra. The doomed sacrificial hero is at a feast.

Quote:
All was prepared, triumph hung in my hand as a ripe fruit to the hand of the plucker. Yet as I sat at the royal feast my heart was heavy, and a shadow of coming woe lay cold within my mind. I sat there in a place of honour, near the majesty of Cleopatra, and looked down the lines of guests, bright with gems and garlanded with flowers, marking those whom I had doomed to die. There before me lay Cleopatra in all her beauty, which thrilled the beholder as he is thrilled by the rushing of the midnight gale, or by the sight of stormy waters. I gazed on her as she touched her lips with wine and toyed with the chaplet of roses on her brow, thinking of the dagger beneath my robe that I had sworn to bury in her breast. Again, and yet again, I gazed and strove to hate her, strove to rejoice that she must die--and could not. There, too, behind her--watching me now, as ever, with her deep-fringed eyes--was the lovely Lady Charmion. Who, to look at her innocent face, would believe that she was the setter of that snare in which the Queen who loved her should miserably perish? Who would dream that the secret of so much death was locked in her girlish breast? I gazed, and grew sick at heart because I must anoint my throne with blood, and by evil sweep away the evil of the land. At that hour I wished, indeed, that I was nothing but some humble husbandman, who in its season grows and in its season garners the golden grain! Alas! the seed that I had been doomed to sow was the seed of Death, and now I must reap the red fruit of the harvest!

"Why, Harmachis, what ails thee?" said Cleopatra, smiling her slow smile. "Has the golden skein of stars got tangled, my astronomer? or dost thou plan some new feat of magic? Say what is it that thou dost so poorly grace our feast? Nay, now, did I not know, having made inquiry, that things so low as we poor women are far beneath thy gaze, why, I should swear that Eros had found thee out, Harmachis!"

"Nay, that I am spared, O Queen," I answered. "The servant of the stars marks not the smaller light of woman's eyes, and therein is he happy!"

Cleopatra leaned herself towards me, looking on me long and steadily in such fashion that, despite my will, the blood fluttered at my heart.

"Boast not, thou proud Egyptian," she said in a low voice which none but I and Charmion could hear, "lest perchance thou dost tempt me to match my magic against thine. What woman can forgive that a man should push us by as things of no account? It is an insult to our sex which Nature's self abhors," and she leaned back again and laughed most musically. But, glancing up, I saw Charmion, her teeth on her lip and an angry frown upon her brow.

"Pardon, royal Egypt," I answered coldly, but with such wit as I could summon, "before the Queen of Heaven even stars grow pale!" This I said of the moon, which is the sign of the Holy Mother whom Cleopatra dared to rival, naming herself Isis come to earth.

"Happily said," she answered, clapping her white hands. "Why, here's an astronomer who has wit and can shape a compliment! Nay, such a wonder must not pass unnoted, lest the Gods resent it. Charmion, take this rose-chaplet from my hair and set it upon the learned brow of our Harmachis. He shall be crowned _King of Love_, whether he will it or not."

Charmion lifted the chaplet from Cleopatra's brows and, bearing it to where I was, with a smile set it upon my head yet warm and fragrant from the Queen's hair, but so roughly that she pained me somewhat. She did this because she was wroth, although she smiled with her lips and whispered, "An omen, royal Harmachis." For though she was so very much a woman, yet, when she was angered or suffered jealousy, Charmion had a childish way.

Having thus fixed the chaplet, she curtsied low before me, and with the softest tone of mockery named me, in the Greek tongue, "Harmachis, King of Love." Then Cleopatra laughed and pledged me as "King of Love," and so did all the company, finding the jest a merry one. For in Alexandria they love not those who live straitly and turn aside from women.

But I sat there, a smile upon my lips, and black wrath in my heart. For, knowing who and what I was, it irked me to think myself a jest for the frivolous nobles and light beauties of Cleopatra's Court. But I was chiefly angered against Charmion, because she laughed the loudest, and I did not then know that laughter and bitterness are often the veils with which a sore heart wraps its weakness from the world. "An omen" she said it was--that crown of flowers--and so it proved indeed. For I was fated to barter the Double Diadem of the Upper and the Lower Land for a wreath of passion's roses that fade before they fully bloom, and Pharaoh's ivory bed of state for the pillow of a faithless woman's breast.

I think artificial conception is turning away from women.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 07:48 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
That the event scared the **** out of you.

Sorry, Spendius, I forgot American is a second language for you.

The term "scared the **** out of..." does not literally mean "being scared" nor does it have anything to do with actual "****!" It is American idiom.
JTT

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 08:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Sorry, Spendius, I forgot American is a second language for you.

The term "scared the **** out of..." does not literally mean "being scared" nor does it have anything to do with actual "****!" It is American idiom.

Well then, Frank, what does the term "scared the **** out of..." mean?

That particular term is hardly limited to American idiom.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 11:55 pm
The leaders of the republican party doesn't know that Romney doesn't have a chance in hell, because and evangelicals won't let him win.

Quote:
Republican Party Moves Toward Romney

Two leading fiscal conservatives, Representative Eric Cantor and Senator Tom Coburn, declared their loyalties for the first time on Sunday, two days before a pivotal set of primaries.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 06:39 am
@JTT,
Well then, Frank, what does the term "scared the **** out of..." mean?

Thanks for asking, JTT.

In the context in which I used it that time: “The comment about them going to the same Mass as Scalia particularly scared the **** out of me.”…

…it meant, “It is unsettling.” The reason I find it unsettling is that I consider Scalia an unsettling figure in the power structure of America…and I consider Santorum to be an unsettling figure also…and the two of them physically in the same Mass seems almost “critical mass.” (Pun intended!)
JTT

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 07:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
…it meant, “It is unsettling.”

Then it is you who lacks an understanding of American idiom, Frank. If that's what you meant, then you should have chosen an idiom that actually reflected your meaning.

You were wrong about designating that term as an American idiom. You haven't fared well in discussions on language issues, obviously from a lifetime of being badly misled. "Being misled - seems to be a common theme, doesn't it?