The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 02:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You wrote,
Quote:
Perhaps you are correct, RL, but the jury is still out for me. My comments could have been more circumspect, but I think I gave a decent picture of my take on the issue. In the past, I was probably closer to your thoughts, but as I have considered things more fully, I suspect if all religion disappeared, not much would change with human conduct in either direction.

I actually believe that mankind would be better off without religion; many of the conflicts in the Middle East would disappear, and the religious right in the US wouldn't be able to use it as a political football.

The GOP continues to use religion (contraceptives and gay marriage) as battleground issues, and the real problems of the country, called economics and jobs, is being ignored.

I'm amazed at how Americans can continue to support such a broken party in this country.
roger

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 02:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Ya know Frank, you've really become quite mellow over the past few years.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 03:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Quote:
I actually believe that mankind would be better off without religion; many of the conflicts in the Middle East would disappear, and the religious right in the US wouldn't be able to use it as a political football.

I know what you mean, ci…and I agree after a fashion. But religion is not going to disappear…and, since it is not going to go away, we all have to learn how to deal with it reasonably. I suspect the “religious right” will continue to exploit it, but I honestly see us becoming more immune to the exploitation.

Here in New Jersey, both houses just passed legislation enabling same sex marriages…something that would have been unheard of not too many years ago. Now, if we just had a governor without national aspirations, we might have gotten it signed instead of vetoed.

Quote:
The GOP continues to use religion (contraceptives and gay marriage) as battleground issues, and the real problems of the country, called economics and jobs, is being ignored.

I don’t think those “real problems” are being ignored, but I do understand the gamesmanship used by both parties.

The GOP sees the social issues as their strength these days, so they are going to push them to the front burner. The Democrats see the economy as a liability, so they are more than willing to engage the Republicans on the social issues. It seems like a win/win scenario for both parties. In November we will find out how to see how it is playing to the electorate.

Quote:
I'm amazed at how Americans can continue to support such a broken party in this country.

I'm with you on this. Lots of things about America amaze me. In fact, lots of things about humanity amaze me. But, ci, we only came down out of the trees a (relatively) short time ago, and primitives behave primitively.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 03:19 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Ya know Frank, you've really become quite mellow over the past few years.

Ahhh, I still lose it once in a while, Roger, but I'm getting old...and although I am still cranky, I like to keep it under control when I am in the forums.

But, thanks!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 03:30 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
By the same token, let's not forget there are obvious parallels between Charlie Chaplin and Hitler. After all, they both had exactly the same kind of mustache.

Hitler was a vegetarian and had only one testicle, I seen that on a crazy fact thing yesterday.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 03:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You wrote,
Quote:
I know what you mean, ci…and I agree after a fashion. But religion is not going to disappear…and, since it is not going to go away, we all have to learn how to deal with it reasonably.

I know exactly what you mean; my siblings are devout christians, and so are their children and grandchildren. Man is prone to believing in god(s), and that will not change.

Yea, and not much has changed since we got off those trees.

If my retirement IRA funds is an indicator of our economy's improvement, that seems to be a pretty good guage on what it'll be like come November.

The GOP loves to use social issues, but they're losing the women vote in groves; they don't understand that they represent 50% of the voting public.

Making women's sex organs an issue is a lose-lose for the GOP.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 03:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
By the way, Sam Harris has begun to annoy me. I would love to debate him on some of the things he says.

He is a pretty smart man, do you think you would come out looking good in the end? I have seen other people that think he gets it wrong at times as well.

I think this guy is funny and likes to poke fun at Sam.

spendius

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 03:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
They might be looking forward to an administration owing its existence to the women's vote. The "bring it on" idea. Getting the polarisation more acute in a materialistic albumen.

I quite like the idea.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 03:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I'm with you on this. Lots of things about America amaze me. In fact, lots of things about humanity amaze me. But, ci, we only came down out of the trees a (relatively) short time ago, and primitives behave primitively.

This is what I keep telling myself and everyone else and it seems to explain everything when you think about it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 03:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
He is a pretty smart man, do you think you would come out looking good in the end? I have seen other people that think he gets it wrong at times as well.

I think this guy is funny and likes to poke fun at Sam.

This is where you and I fall out RL. You can't just talk to someone without expecting them to watch one of your goddamned awful videos. Why not summarise the video for us?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
This is where you and I fall out RL. You can't just talk to someone without expecting them to watch one of your goddamned awful videos. Why not summarise the video for us?

Sorry about that Izzy. I cover so much information in a day here and other places, all of what I cover is not important to all people not to mention it is so much easier for me to post a video and if a person is like you and finds my videos dull then I would just skip them.
You are not the only one who skips stuff because I do the same with hundreds of other peoples post that I do not find interesting.

spendius

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Hey izzie --did you see the Yank who has been in Coronation Street this last few weeks? Talk about funny. I would write to the President if I was an American demanding the actor's passport be cancelled.

He departed tonight in as ignominious a fashion as ever I saw scriptwriters conjure up. Roy's Mum stood him up on the plane as he was carrying her off "Stateside".

Roy had to carry her suitcases back into Roy's Rolls.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
You do have a way with you that seems to expect that we watch them. Despite all of our scraps on A2K that is the only thing that pisses me off.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:17 pm
@spendius,
When my wife died it meant I didn't have to watch Coronation Street anymore. That was the only good thing about being widowed.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:22 pm
@izzythepush,
You seem to need a woman in your life that way you will have someone to argue with instead of all of us. 2 Cents If you are getting old like me it is not about the sex anymore, "now you just need somebody to hear you bitch. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Neither have you denied, like RT, that your criticism is aimed solely at America, Israel and Britain.

What or who is RT?

I've explained this a number of times. The biggest crooks get the bulk of the attention. That isn't really all that hard to grasp, is it?

Quote:
You've not said anything remotely critical about Syria, Iran, China, Burma or a host of other countries ...

There are more than enough jump on the bandwagoners doing that. Make your case that any one of them is as bad as the US/with bit player the UK.

Tell me, do you really think that even the first four combined come anywhere close just to Iraq and Afghanistan?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:34 pm
@JTT,
RT is Russian Television, they are a propaganda channel controlled by the Kremlin. I'm sorry to say it, but you sound a lot like them. You'll sound a lot more credible when you start criticising all injustice, regardless of who is perpetrating it, and praising what is good. What is happening in Syria is happening now, that's got to be far more pressing than what America did in Vietnam.
JTT

@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Now, if we just had a governor without national aspirations, we might have gotten it signed instead of vetoed.

How come there's never any whining about governors/presidents who "legislate" in a much more arbitrary fashion than what the courts are said to do.
0 Replies

JTT

@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Now, if we just had a governor without national aspirations, we might have gotten it signed instead of vetoed.

How come there's never any whining about governors/presidents who "legislate" in a much more arbitrary fashion than what the courts are said to do.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:40 pm
@izzythepush,
If you think that RT is a propaganda channel controlled by the Kremlin how can you like Max keiser? Don't you think he might be confusing your mind with propaganda?