The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:19 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Another thing which gives me hope and I don't really see a big enthusiasm for any of the republican candidates but especially not for Romney.

Once a candidate is settled on republicans, conservatives, the T.E.A. Party and independents will unite and fully
support the defeat of Obama... we all understand just how important this is for the survival of this great country.
parados

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:34 am
@H2O MAN,
The only problem Spurt, is by that time your side will have created a narrative that is so out of touch with reality that only the 30% that think exactly like you will come together.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:40 am
@parados,

Wrong again Parasite, wrong again...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:16 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I don't get too excited about head to head polls this early. After the Republican convention Romney and Obama will take the gloves off, the super PAC's will start to weigh in and the poll numbers will start to settle.

Of course, Obama may have a little bit of money to spend himself, to counter such things.

Also, the real problem for the GOP is that the prolonged nomination contest is causing the candidates to be defined down somewhat. Romney's favorability ratings have risen sharply - how is he going to turn that around? Can't do it by attacking other candidates or Obama.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:17 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Not nearly as much money as has been talked about...
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:57 am
Michigan Polls Show Rick Santorum Surging...For Now

Quote:
Santorum's ability to remain competitive in Michigan may depend on two things: Whether his campaign has the financial resources to compete with Romney and his allies on the Michigan airwaves, and whether Santorum's current backers stick with him in the face of likely attacks.

For the moment, Santorum has a bit of an advantage: Conservative Republicans like him more than Romney. His overall favorable rating, as measured by PPP, is 67 percent -- and is much higher among Tea Party supporters (82 percent) and self-identified strong conservatives (78 percent). Romney's rating is lower on the PPP Michigan poll (49 percent overall) and not significantly different among conservatives (51 percent) and Tea Party supporters (48 percent).

But with the Michigan primary still two weeks away, the volatility in Republican horse race polling so far leads to one inescapable conclusion: Santorum may lead now, but the polling may look very different by election day.

(more at the link at the top of the post)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:10 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

engineer wrote:

I don't get too excited about head to head polls this early. After the Republican convention Romney and Obama will take the gloves off, the super PAC's will start to weigh in and the poll numbers will start to settle.

Of course, Obama may have a little bit of money to spend himself, to counter such things.

Also, the real problem for the GOP is that the prolonged nomination contest is causing the candidates to be defined down somewhat. Romney's favorability ratings have risen sharply - how is he going to turn that around? Can't do it by attacking other candidates or Obama.

Cycloptichorn

Naturally, that should say that Romney's UNfavorability ratings have risen sharply.

(coffee time)

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:35 am
Santorum has now moved into the lead in national polling averages -

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/republican_presidential_nomination-1452.html

Meanwhile, Obama maintains his strong lead against Santorum -

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_santorum_vs_obama-2912.html

His lead over Santorum is about double that of his lead over Romney - but, will that change if Mitt loses Michigan and other states this month?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:40 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The margin of error they give makes the Santorum-Romney race neck and neck. They're separated by under three points, and the margin of error is five points.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:42 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The margin of error they give makes the Santorum-Romney race neck and neck. They're separated by under three points, and the margin of error is five points.

Very true. Easy to see who currently has the Big Mo, tho.

The graph accompanying that link is lovely to look at - how many different front-runners there have been!

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I think it probably accurately reflects Santorum's flavor of the month status. However, things being as volatile as they are, with no more separation than that, i don't think anyone could call it between the two.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:52 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I think it probably accurately reflects Santorum's flavor of the month status. However, things being as volatile as they are, with no more separation than that, i don't think anyone could call it between the two.

The real problem for Romney is that the elites have finally begun to accept the fact that the base really, really doesn't like him. At all. This cuts to the quick of his 'most electable' argument vs. Obama... I've started to see institutional support for him in Conservative and GOP mouthpieces online wane over the last few weeks.

That gives the last 'flavor of the month' a much better chance of becoming the actual, final flavor, than the ones earlier had. Social Conservatives have been screaming forever that they need to get a shot at the top of the ticket, to prove that this is what America and Americans want; I'd love to see Santorum win the GOP nomination. Love to.

I bet Perry is kicking himself for bowing out now.

Cycloptichorn
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
you and me both. It'd be interesting seeing once and for all what happens when life affirming , pro choice "Christians" and Christian women in particular face having to actually put their money where their mouths (and vaginas) are and give up free contraception.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:12 pm
@Setanta,
I think on the national stage, Santorum has it over Willard by a big margin.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 01:56 pm
Members of the House will be back in Washington today and there could be some spirited discussion among the Republican caucus about Speaker of the House John Boenner's surprise reversal on the extension of the payroll tax "holiday."
The employee portion of the social security deduction from pay was reduced from 6.2% to 4.2% in early 2011. Then, right before it was due to expire at the end of 2011, it was extended until the end of Feb, 2012. Two weeks from now. There were some efforts by Dems and Repubs on how to extend it until the end of 2012, but (surprise, surprise) there has been no agreement on how to pay the estimated $100bn cost.
Yesterday, Boenner proposed extending the tax cut WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT. Suffice it to say, there has been outrage from rank and file and conservative Republican House and Senate members, many of whom -in the House- disapprove of Boehner's leadership.
I have not yet seen any comments from any of the candidates.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:06 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,

It's not about contraception, the left has worked very hard to make it about contraception
in an effort to distract the masses from the real issue and the real issue is the economy.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:17 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
It's not about contraception...

I agree...it is not about contraception.

Quote:
...the left has worked very hard to make it about contraception
in an effort to distract the masses from the real issue and the real issue is the economy.

I don't think "the left" has worked on this at all...let along "worked very hard." They haven't had to, because the right has acted like sharks in a feeding frenzy on the issue. The right has made it an issue. In fact, the right has made it THE issue.

Damn smart of Obama to raise the thing...because he would much rather the issue being discussed is "contraception" or "sexual conduct" than the economy.

Amazing that the right is so willing to help him.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
It's not about contraception...

I agree...it is not about contraception.

Quote:
...the left has worked very hard to make it about contraception

I don't think "the left" has worked on this at all...let along "worked very hard." They haven't had to, because the right has acted like sharks in a feeding frenzy on the issue. The right has made it an issue. In fact, the right has made it THE issue.

Damn smart of Obama to raise the thing...because he would much rather the issue being discussed is "contraception" or "sexual conduct" than the economy.

Amazing that the right is so willing to help him.

George Stephanopoulos brought it up in a televised debate long before it was mentioned by Obama... it's been in the works for quite some time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:28 pm
@H2O MAN,
Not only that, but Obama consulted with many people including the Catholic church about contraception before he came out with the ruling.

The bishops of the church are trying to enforce individual responsibility on to our government, and not all who work for the Catholic church are members of their church. Also, many Catholic charities receive government funding, and non-church members should receive the same benefits as all other groups.

How does contraception enforce their religious' beliefs to all their members?
Fact is, it can't, and it doesn't.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,

As I said, Obama and his liberal media are attempting to make contraception the issue.
This is designed to distract the masses and make the forget about Obama's failed economic policies.

Contraception is not free, but it is available to anyone that wants it.

Obamanomics is the real issue and that's what all of us need to focus on.