The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 09:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David, not everyone is as anxious as you are.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 09:41 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
David, not everyone is as anxious as you are.
I know. Most of the time,
badly drunken drivers will get home safely n uneventfully,
but its still not a wise practice anyway.

That also applies to letting Moslem fanatics go nuclear
(for those of us who live in American port cities).

David
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 09:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:
Orlando:

That was easily the most boring debate yet, a real yawn fest.

On the plus side, Santorum did a very good job - he should stay in the race.
SPLITTING the anti-liberal vote?????? I don't think so.

David

I think he should stay in a little longer, but I predict Santorum will be out of the race after Florida.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 09:53 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

He is reasonable,
if u don't care about a nuclear armed Iran. I guess u r safe up there.

But that is because your position on Iran is completely out of sync with all of your other stated positions. If the government believes the guy across the street is a danger to the community (not because he's actually done anything, just because of the "cut of his jib") and I suggested that the government should storm his house and confiscate all his guns you'd rightly go nuts (and so would Ron Paul). You are on record as saying that felons who were convicted of violent crimes should have their gun rights restored after release from prison since guns are required for self defense. Yet when a country surrounded by nuclear powers desires nuclear weapons for self defense, you flip around 180 degrees. Ron Paul is the consistent one here. Although it leads him to some nutty places, Ron Paul is the most consistent champion of individual rights over the desires of the state I've ever seen.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:22 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

He is reasonable,
if u don't care about a nuclear armed Iran. I guess u r safe up there.

But that is because your position on Iran is completely out of sync with all of your other stated positions. If the government believes the guy across the street is a danger to the community (not because he's actually done anything, just because of the "cut of his jib") and I suggested that the government should storm his house and confiscate all his guns you'd rightly go nuts (and so would Ron Paul). You are on record as saying that felons who were convicted of violent crimes should have their gun rights restored after release from prison since guns are required for self defense. Yet when a country surrounded by nuclear powers desires nuclear weapons for self defense, you flip around 180 degrees. Ron Paul is the consistent one here. Although it leads him to some nutty places, Ron Paul is the most consistent champion of individual rights over the desires of the state I've ever seen.

Well, the obvious answer is that David does not seek a world in which 'moslems,' to use his term, enjoy the same rights and privileges he does.

Cycloptichorn
revelette

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:44 am
Well, Romney released his tax returns. He is a pretty fortunate fellow. To give him his due; he did pay a sizable amount to charity which I applaud him for. It seems he broke no laws but took advantage of every tax trick in play.

Romney Paid 13.9% Tax Rate on $21.6M Income

It is exactly that unfairness and tax havens which need to be fixed. We need revenue in this country just as much as we need to cut spending in areas. A good and fair way would be make people like Romney pay their fair share of income they have just like the average joe/jo working for a living has to.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Ron Paul is certainly super-sincere,
but in my choice of politicians for whom I will vote,
I include supporting MY right to live,
not that of the Iranians. If he wants to defend
the Iranians rights', then he shud run for office over THERE.

My choice of motivating political philosophy
is based upon MY self defense, not upon the well-being of the Iranians.

I am and I remain a super-selfish guy!

DAvid
High Seas

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David - there are other Moslem states with nukes and/or capability to build nukes. Anyway the embargo only enriches the petroleum brokers. Read this:
Quote:

source: today's Financial Times (subscription only)

Ignore the hyperbole on Hormuz; embargoes don’t work

In recent weeks there has been intense speculation that in the event of a European Union oil embargo, Iran would try to close the Strait of Hormuz, through which flow 32 per cent of global oil exports and 28 per cent of global liquefied natural gas exports, writes Stevens, senior research fellow, energy, environment and development at Chatham House. Such an attempt is unlikely, although, to be clear, history suggests that sanctions would not work in constraining the Iranian regime. History has shown that since the Iranian nationalisation of 1951 and the events leading to the overthrow of Mossadegh in 1953, oil embargoes simply do not work. The international oil market is too complex, with too many players and too many options to disguise transactions. History is littered with failed oil embargoes, ranging from Cuba, Rhodesia and South Africa to the embargo against Iraq after 1990.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Have you ever considered what anthropology and sociology could reveal about your psychology? At 3 minutes into this video it will explain your psychology in more detail.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:31 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Well, Romney released his tax returns. He is a pretty fortunate fellow.

Hard working intelligent risk takers tend to end up fortunate... that's the America Obama is destroying.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
That also applies to letting Moslem fanatics go nuclear
(for those of us who live in American port cities).

How do you stop them going nuclear Dave if they have every intention of doing so and don't recognise threats and rhetorical flourishes?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

My choice of motivating political philosophy
is based upon MY self defense, not upon the well-being of the Iranians.

I am and I remain a super-selfish guy!

How does this sync up with your statement that criminals convicted of violent crimes should be allowed access to guns when they get out? Doesn't allowing proven violent criminals to arm themselves negatively impact your safety? I thought your belief system was that everyone has the right to weapons as a matter of self defense and that the world is safer is everyone is equally armed. Are you disavowing that position?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:23 pm
@revelette,
I wonder what you mean by every trick in play. If earned income is taxed at 25% while dividends and capital gains are taxed 15%, you can't really say he's involved in trickery if he pays 15% on capital gains and dividends.

I don't really know the relevant rates; I've never been in a position where that was of personal importance.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:27 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I wonder what you mean by every trick in play. If earned income is taxed at 25% while dividends and capital gains are taxed 15%, you can't really say he's involved in trickery if he pays 15% on capital gains and dividends.

He most certainly employs the carried-interest rule, to avoid paying full tax rates on what should be ordinary income. Over half his income in 2010 SHOULD have been taxed at 35%, but was instead taxed at 15%, because of this BS rule, which only benefits dudes like Romney and other rich fund managers.

Cycloptichorn
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 01:06 pm
This seems to be the only one who is close to being sane among all those running.
I do understand that there are some here that are sociopaths that have invested in the military industrial complex so I can see where they would not want him in office but the other sociopaths that have not invested in the military industrial complex seem to be making a choice that is not logical for them.

I would think that even sociopaths that are logical could see the problem if they do not have investment interest building from wars.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 01:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I have no idea whether "most certainly" means the same as "does", but are you saying he should pay more than tax law requires? Do you? I'm going to be real honest and admit I only pay what is required, and it isn't much.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 01:17 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I have no idea whether "most certainly" means the same as "does"

Well, in English, those two things do mean the same thing, yes.

Quote:
but are you saying he should pay more than tax law requires? Do you? I'm going to be real honest and admit I only pay what is required, and it isn't much.

Well, the tax laws have been carefully manipulated by rich fucks like Romney over the years, to ensure that they are 'required' to pay very little in taxes. The base meaning of words is twisted in order to do so. It doesn't even benefit the 1% of our society - it benefits the .01% at the very very top.

Is Romney in accordance with the law? Yes. Do those laws suck? Yes, indeed. Is Romney running on a platform of lowering his own taxes EVEN FURTHER? Yes, he most certainly is.

'In accordance with the law' is not the equivalent of 'morally and ethically sound.' Especially when he and his corrupt pals have bought off politicians (to the tune of hundreds of millions in donations over the years, given to scumbags both parties) and elections in order to keep the system slanted in their favor. That is why Romney will continue to face persistent and devastating criticism based on his income.

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 01:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

'In accordance with the law' is not the equivalent of 'morally and ethically sound.'
Cycloptichorn

So you're saying that yes, he should be paying more that the law requires. Again, I ask if you are also paying more than required. You have yet to answer.
JPB

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 01:24 pm
Right. The gaming of the system on Wall Street and K Street is the basis of OWS. Newt wants to make capital gains tax free. Carried interest for hedge fund managers, which then gets taxed as capital gains, would not be taxed under Newts plan. What a guy!
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 01:29 pm
@roger,
That is a silly question after he already gave you an explanation of his views. Did you even take just a minute to consider his views?