The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Not all drugs are for fatal diseases, but they can have fatal side effects.
Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If you take an ineffective drug and you die, the drug did not kill you, the disease you hoped it might cure did.

Your "liberal logic" straw man is hilarious--but it has long been evident that logic of any kind doesn't reside at your house.

Joe used Laetrile as an example. The metabolizing of Laetrile releases hydrogen cyanide, a virulent chemical poison. The body's ability to break down the cyanide would be rapidly overwhelmed by a course of Laetrile treatment. You'd be lucky if the cancer killed you before the cyanide poisoning did.

Thalidomide was widely sold as a sedative in the 1950s and -60s, and was especailly used to treat morning sickness in pregnant women. It was withdrawn after it was shown conclusively in clinical studies to cause birth defects--more than 10,000 infants shown to have been born with birth defects to mothers who had used the drug, and the use of which was linked to the birth defects. There was no disease being trated. The birth defects were a result of a defective drug being sold.

Tell us again about "liberal logic." What a bullshit artist.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 08:30 am
@hingehead,
Bingo.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:07 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
No, the false dichotomy I was referring to was that Romney is competence, while Obama is inspiration.

What I was pointing out is that with just competence as a criteria, I find Obama to be the more competent choice.

As it happens, if inspiration is the criteria, I also find Obama to be the more inspirational choice.

Meanwhile, you are wrong about Obama's role in Osama Bin Laden's death btw (or at least that's what I assume you were referring to here):

Finn wrote:
Yes, Obama was killed during his administration and I'm glad for that. He gave the green light to the mission, but how many presidents would not have done the same thing?

(Emphasis mine.)

Obama (the president), did much more than just green light the mission. From a very good article in the New Yorker:

Quote:
Four months after Obama entered the White House, Leon Panetta, the director of the C.I.A., briefed the President on the agency’s latest programs and initiatives for tracking bin Laden. Obama was unimpressed. In June, 2009, he drafted a memo instructing Panetta to create a “detailed operation plan” for finding the Al Qaeda leader and to “ensure that we have expended every effort.” Most notably, the President intensified the C.I.A.’s classified drone program; there were more missile strikes inside Pakistan during Obama’s first year in office than in George W. Bush’s eight. The terrorists swiftly registered the impact: that July, CBS reported that a recent Al Qaeda communiqué had referred to “brave commanders” who had been “snatched away” and to “so many hidden homes [which] have been levelled.” The document blamed the “very grave” situation on spies who had “spread throughout the land like locusts.” Nevertheless, bin Laden’s trail remained cold.

[....indications that they've found bin Laden....]

Obama, though excited, was not yet prepared to order military action. John Brennan, Obama’s counterterrorism adviser, told me that the President’s advisers began an “interrogation of the data, to see if, by that interrogation, you’re going to disprove the theory that bin Laden was there.” The C.I.A. intensified its intelligence-collection efforts, and, according to a recent report in the Guardian, a physician working for the agency conducted an immunization drive in Abbottabad, in the hope of acquiring DNA samples from bin Laden’s children. (No one in the compound ultimately received any immunizations.)

In late 2010, Obama ordered Panetta to begin exploring options for a military strike on the compound.

[....]

On March 29th, McRaven brought the plan to Obama. The President’s military advisers were divided. Some supported a raid, some an airstrike, and others wanted to hold off until the intelligence improved. Robert Gates, the Secretary of Defense, was one of the most outspoken opponents of a helicopter assault. Gates reminded his colleagues that he had been in the Situation Room of the Carter White House when military officials presented Eagle Claw—the 1980 Delta Force operation that aimed at rescuing American hostages in Tehran but resulted in a disastrous collision in the Iranian desert, killing eight American soldiers. “They said that was a pretty good idea, too,” Gates warned. He and General James Cartwright, the vice-chairman of the Joint Chiefs, favored an airstrike by B-2 Spirit bombers. That option would avoid the risk of having American boots on the ground in Pakistan. But the Air Force then calculated that a payload of thirty-two smart bombs, each weighing two thousand pounds, would be required to penetrate thirty feet below ground, insuring that any bunkers would collapse. “That much ordnance going off would be the equivalent of an earthquake,” Cartwright told me. The prospect of flattening a Pakistani city made Obama pause. He shelved the B-2 option and directed McRaven to start rehearsing the raid.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/08/110808fa_fact_schmidle

(Emphases mine.)

It goes on to describe the exacting and repeated rehearsals. The raid itself started off on the wrong foot (a helicopter went down) but there were numerous safeguards in place and the mission had been so carefully rehearsed that they were able to pull it off cleanly anyway.

I remembered where I read the above (hence my ability to find it back) but I can't remember right now where I read about how Obama has significantly rebuilt the intelligence-gathering process from where it was when Bush was president, and the significant impact that had on the ability to find Bin Laden.

I can find it back probably if you're interested.

At any rate, this was far from just "green-lighting", he was very involved. And in fact the whole thing is a pretty good microcosm of the competence that I admire.

Identify systematic problems, go about fixing them, get OPPOSING views to make sure your hypothesis really can hold up (and really listen to them), be willing to change your mind based on valid data, prepare extensively, have back-up plans in place, be decisive when necessary. Etc.
revelette

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:09 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I am wondering what you all are going to do if the economy keeps improving (it has been though very little) and the jobless rate keeps going down by the time the general election gets here? What will you guys run on?

In the end that will be deciding factor and remember Obama does best when he has to fight for it.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:11 am
Despite the message being pushed by the media (liberal and conservative), if the NH primary is any kind of indication, the GOP electorate is not languishing in "anyone but Romney" doldrums.

51% of the NH primary voters are self-described Tea party supporters, and in this segment, Romney beat Paul by 18 points.

He also won those self-described as Republicans by more than 30 points.

One of the exit polls taken asked voters what was foremost on their mind when pulling the lever. More than 50% responded "beating Obama," and only 13%, the lowest segment of all responded "nominating a true conservative."

Ron Paul narrowly beat out Romney for the Independent vote, while Huntsman crushed him on the Democrat vote, receiving 41% (What a surprise!)

This last bit leads to the question of why Independents and Democrats, are allowed to vote in Republican primaries?

I can somewhat understand trying to get a feel for how Independents might vote in a general election, but it's hard to imagine that a lot of them vote in primaries.

I don't get letting Democrats participate or Republicans participate in Democrat primaries for that matter. At least 50% who do have mischief in mind.

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:18 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh and forgot to address...

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What newly elected president comes to office with presidential experience? By your apparent logic, every president should be elected to a second terms since they will have four more years of presidential experience than their opponent.

This is what you said originally:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I'm sick of inspirational political leaders. I want someone who has executive experience and is competent.

As of January 2013, Obama will have had four more years of experience than Romney in the very executiveiest of executive positions.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:23 am
@revelette,
I will be very happy if it improves, but I doubt it will improve enough to allow Obama to take credit for a turn-around, and no economist is predicting it might.

Nevertheless, if it happens, Obama will most likely be re-elected.

If the unemployment rates slowly ticks down to 8% or if the decrease in the rate isn't steady (look for the rate to increase at the end of January and/or February) then it will be of little value to Obama. Voters don't pay as much attention to the GDP as they do the unemployment rate, but most economists are predicting only tepid growth.

We are 10 months away from the election, and during that period of time Obama will be biting his nails hoping Europe doesn't implode. I'll be with him, but for a different reason.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:23 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Your stats don't line up with your premise, though.

The stats relevant to "anyone but Romney" doldrums are how many people showed up at all, for example.

If 100 people showed up, it could still be that 51 of them were Tea Party supporters.

But it would be a big problem if only 100 people showed up.

I guess it depends on what you mean by the "anyone but Romney" doldrums. If you mean that nobody else looks like they have a great chance of beating him, yeah. But I don't see a lot of evidence that the media is pushing that line. I see more of Ron Paul supporters being annoyed that his second-place finish is being dismissed, and the media has pretty much crowned Romney the winner already.

What I do see a fair amount of -- because it's accurate -- is that Romney is failing to fire up the electorate, and implications thereof. In that sense, the doldrums are very real. A lot of Republicans can't stand Romney.

That's where my stat of 40% fewer people showing up at the NH primaries this year than in 2008 is significant.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:32 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Oh and forgot to address...

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What newly elected president comes to office with presidential experience? By your apparent logic, every president should be elected to a second terms since they will have four more years of presidential experience than their opponent.

This is what you said originally:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I'm sick of inspirational political leaders. I want someone who has executive experience and is competent.

As of January 2013, Obama will have had four more years of experience than Romney in the very executiveiest of executive positions.

Note that I didn't write that "I want someone who is competent and who has experience in the most executiviest of executive positions."

In addition, I thought it went without saying that the competence I am looking for is demonstrated competence in whatever executive positions the candidate has held. Romney has held top executive position in both the private and public sectors and demonstrated competence in both.

As I've already stated Obama has displayed incompetence in the most executiviest of executive positions, his only executive experience..
engineer

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:37 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Despite the message being pushed by the media (liberal and conservative), if the NH primary is any kind of indication, the GOP electorate is not languishing in "anyone but Romney" doldrums.

While I think that is an overstatement, you have hit upon a truth here: For a significant and important segment of the Republican party, Romney is the man. New Hampshire is clearly Romney country and they represent the Northeastern republicans who you need to win in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, perhaps all the way to Ohio. It was a good showing although Soz's comments about turnout are also valid. I think SC will show us how people feel about Romney in a state that represents a completely different Republican demographic, but I also think that it doesn't matter. Romney needs turnout in Virginia and Florida but I think the rest of the South is his in the general election. Showing strength in the Northeast and Mid-West will trump any concerns in the conservative South.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:39 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Of course you do since you believe (with virtually no justification) that Obama has been a competent president.

He's been competent enough to kick the crap out of your party this entire time. True, the GOP has done well holding ranks and blocking much of what he wanted in the Senate; but Obama did pass both major health care and financial reform legislation, kill Osama, get the troops out of Iraq (which is applauded by large majorities of Americans), get the Libya thing done with a minimum of mess, save the auto industry (which is growing well now) and buffalo your caucus on all three major showdowns last year. Big time. During this time his popularity has remained steady while the popularity of the GOP has dropped quite a bit.

Why is it that an 'incompetent' president keeps winning showdowns against your party?

I submit that he's not at all incompetent; quite the opposite, in fact, which is why you hate him so fervently.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
My point is simple.

You say you want someone with executive experience. Obama has it. Three years of it now, four years of it when the next term starts.

I understand that you don't want to vote for him, and I certainly won't attempt to persuade you to do so. But Obama both has executive experience, and has executive experience that is more pertinent to this particular job than anyone else running.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You wrote 'Obama' when you meant to write 'Osama' twice in this piece.

Quote:

Notwithstanding a clearly biased site called "Cut The Crap," there are quite a few people, including economists, who believe Obama's policies worsened and lengthened the recession. TARP (a Bush program) stopped the freefall, not Obama's stimulus disaster.

Not anyone credible. NOBODY points to TARP as having anything to do with jobs or recovery, or doing anything other than temporarily stabilizing the financial system.

Your rhetoric makes very little sense, Finn... almost as if you're sort of casting about rather than actually analyzing. And it's not surprising, because the truth is you know very little about any of these topics - just like you knew nothing about Mitt's actual tax plan, yet felt perfectly free to assert you did and criticize others.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 09:54 am
I guess Finn's idea of competency is making a profit no matter who you have to mow down in order to do it.

Quote:
A Missouri steel company in which former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s (R) Bain Capital was the majority shareholder went bankrupt, laid off more than 750 workers, and had to turn to the federal government for a bailout of its pension funds in 2001, according to a special report from Reuters.

Romney, whose time as CEO of Bain Capital has been a centerpiece of his campaign, as he has criticized President Obama for not having experience in the “real economy,” opposed both the 2008 bank bailouts under President George W. Bush and Obama’s rescue of the auto industry. But when Kansas City’s Worldwide Grinding Systems went belly-up less than a decade after Bain became its majority stakeholder, the company, which had been in operation since 1888, had to turn to a federal insurance agency to bailout its pension program in large part because Bain had “saddled” it with “such a heavy debt load”:

Less than a decade later, the mill was padlocked and some 750 people lost their jobs. Workers were denied the severance pay and health insurance they’d been promised, and their pension benefits were cut by as much as $400 (258 pounds) a month.

What’s more, a federal government insurance agency had to pony up $44 million to bail out the company’s underfunded pension plan. Nevertheless, Bain profited on the deal, receiving $12 million on its $8 million initial investment and at least $4.5 million in consulting fees.

While Romney’s firm benefited from a federal bailout, he has been a vocal critic of such bailouts while on the campaign trail. At different times, Romney both supported and derided the federal bank bailouts, but he most recently referred to the Troubled Asset Relief Program as a “slush fund” that “should be shut down.” When Obama proposed bailing out the auto industry in 2009, a rescue that was ultimately successful, Romney famously criticized the plan in a New York Times editorial titled, “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt.”

And while Bain drove Worldwide Grinding Systems into bankruptcy, it didn’t share in the misery. According to Reuters, Bain made at least $12 million from the invesment, and added another $9,000 a year from the company via management consulting fees. Meanwhile, by 1995, the company was carrying debt that amounted to 10 times more than its annual operating income. Six years later, it was bankrupt. “Romney cost me lots and lots of sleepless nights and lots and lots of money,” Ed Stanger, who worked at the plant for more than 30 years, told Reuters.

The Kansas City steel mill isn’t the only chink in Romney’s “job creator” armor. American Pad and Paper (AMPAD), acquired by Bain in 1992, closed two plants, laid off hundreds of workers, and eventually went into bankruptcy. Several companies owned by Bain laid off thousands of workers, even as Bain made handsome profits from its investments — and boosted those profits by abusing offshore tax havens in Bermuda and the Cayman Islands.

Though he left Bain more than a decade ago, Romney is still making millions a year from the firm thanks to a lucrative retirement package. His campaign, meanwhile, finally admitted that its claims that Bain created 100,000 jobs under Romney’s leadership were bogus.

Links embedded at the source

I wonder who will be mowed down if Romney gets to be president?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:38 am
@sozobe,
Your stat is grossly inaccurate and helps to prove my point.

Total votes cast in the 2008 Republican Primary were 234,851
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Republican_primary,_2008

With 98% of pricincts reporting (the estimate you cited was made with 87% of precincts reporting) the total number of votes in the 2012 Republican Primary are 242,585
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2012/new-hampshire-primary-jan-10?intcmp=trending (Note that the FOX count is live so if you connect to this link the number I've cited will almost certainly be even higher)

Thus, even without 2% of the total results, turnout yesterday was higher than in 2008 and in 2008 there were two open primaries going on which most commentators agree typically results in greater turnout than in single primary years.

Unless the remaining 2% of precincts report negative votes, and based on the premise of your original argument, I guess you'll have to admit that the NH electorate was fired up yesterday...unless you think that FOX is intentionally misreporting the vote count

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:43 am
@hingehead,
Yes, and I would hope such drugs are caught by the FDA testing that I've already acknowledged I find to be appropriate.

There is a difference between testing for safety and testing for efficacy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
REPUBLICAN voters.

Not voters in general, Republican voters.

Quote:
Although the polls made pretty good predictions of the election outcome tonight, forecasting turnout is harder. So far it looks like rumors of a record Republican turnout in New Hampshire were greatly exaggerated.

With 85 of 301 precincts reporting, 52,191 voters have cast a ballot in the Republican primary so far. That projects to about 185,000 votes statewide, as compared with about 240,000 votes in the Republican primary in 2008.

The drop-off in turnout looks worse for Republicans since a higher fraction of voters - about half this year, compared to 37 percent in 2008 - are independents. That means that turnout among registered Republicans could alone be off by nearly 40 percent from 2008.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm not going to derail RJB's thread any further, so I started a new thread to discuss government regulation of ineffective drugs.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:47 am
@sozobe,
Well, that's in large part b/c it's not popular to call yourself a 'Republican' these days.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies