The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 12:45 pm
@JPB,
It sounds to me JP that it's a pretty excuse to show off one's finely-tuned political fragrance detectors. Sniffing the wind, so to speak, uncertainly, as if only a delicate and well-trained palate could declare the least obnoxious bouquet.

Perhaps Mr Gingrich's popularity is due to the voters trying to spook the others into offering more inducements. A runaway winner has no motive to offer any inducements because every inducement makes his task as President that much more difficult. Once we have them running neck and neck we have 'em where we want 'em.
JPB

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 01:09 pm
@spendius,
Not sure what you're referring to as the excuse.... his Mormanism? Or, discerning nuances in his presentation? Something else? dunno...

Religion in voting practices run very deep here. There are folks who wouldn't dream of voting for a non-Christian (and that gets more and more narrowly defined as you get closer and closer to those who would choose based on that), others who wouldn't dream of voting for a theocrat <raises hand>, and others who would vote for anyone except a Jew, or a Catholic, or an atheist, or.... the list goes on and on, each with a subset of folks who think a particular religious belief disqualifies someone from the Presidency.

I think Gingrich is currently the darling of the "anyone but Romney" crowd (sometimes called "the base"). The problem there is that main-stream Republicans ("the core") don't want him to be the candidate. The Republican party is in the process of imploding. There are those who are calling for a brokered convention so that "none of the above" gets named at the convention and someone else entirely gets chosen to run in the general election. It's a very interesting dynamic.
spendius

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 01:34 pm
@JPB,
That's why I follow it. Mocow too is interesting.

I think we better understand our own politicians if we pay attention to those in other countries.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 02:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Whats more important to you Dave, winning the election or retaining your political- genetic purity
A political party is supposed to consist of like minded people
associating to propagate their commonly held philosophy.
Mitt is an outsider; I have no idea WHAT there is about him
that makes him a Republican other than his legal voting registration.

He is a wolf in sheep 's clothing; a fake, an imposter, a charlatan.

David
spendius

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 02:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You mean he is a wolf in sheep 's clothing; a fake, an imposter, a charlatan that you have seen through. What about a wolf in sheep 's clothing; a fake, an imposter, a charlatan, that you haven't seen through?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 02:16 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
Any chance of a write-in candidate in a primary? (I'm very fuzzy on US electoral law)

I think every state has different rules if the rules are what you are inquiring about. I am not too well versed on them, but don't see any chance of a new name in the race at this point, regardless of where they come from.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 02:24 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Well, you know me Dave, never one to back away from a fight.
Fights r fun.

izzythepush wrote:
Our notions of freedom are quite different,
Believe THAT!

izzythepush wrote:
I feel freer living in Southampton than I ever did in Texas.
I had to hide a bottle of tequila in a bag, and wasn't allowed to take
a can of beer offsite for fear of being arrested (honest).
Maybe that will change with more libertarianism.

izzythepush wrote:
I can empathise with Spendi getting narked about Gingrich going on
about how we would have enslaved you all, just like we enslaved
the Canadians and the Australians. The biggest empire at the time
was the French Empire not the British, and we were more concerned
with being invaded by Napoleon to worry too much about you.
I 'm confused n perplexed: Y r we discussing the reign of Napoleon ?
As I indicated, I was annoyed at his condemning the right to bear arms
as being anachronistic rubbish (if I recall accurately).
The right to defend yourself from the predatory violence of man or beast is current.

David
izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 02:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Well I naturally assumed Gingrich was saying that civilians bearing arms is what stopped you being enslaved by us, and the last time we were daggers drawn, so to speak, was during the reign of Napoleon.

Incidently my great Aunt Flo, who died in her 90's, about 30 years ago, told me that when she was a little girl, her parents told her to be a good girl or Boney would get her.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 02:59 pm
I saw on Politico a new ad by Rick Perry airing in Iowa. It starts with Perry musing that "...(T)here's something wrong in the country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate or pray in school. I will end Obama's war on religion."
The anti-gay rhetoric is nothing particularly new for Perry. The emphasis to a "war on religion" is new to the campaign and seems to be an attack on the perhaps Muslim Obama and (if you squint your eyes) also on the Mormon Romney.
There is a debate in Iowa this weekend and then a forum of evangelical Christians hosted by one-time candidate Mike Huckabee.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
I think that's just pandering to the Evangelicals who feel that our secular government is (by its "secularness") an attack on religion (which is just stupid). The first amendment isn't an attack on religion, it's a protection of freedom of religion. But the evangelicals, being what they are, simply aren't happy unless it's their religion which is being protected and everyone else's which is pushed aside.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
Pretty sad when conservatives campaign on religion, and those with bankrupted morals in the same party has the highest votes of confidence to become our president.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:01 pm
@izzythepush,
DAVID wrote:
izzythepush wrote:
Well I naturally assumed Gingrich was saying that civilians bearing arms is what stopped you being enslaved by us,
and the last time we were daggers drawn, so to speak, was during the reign of Napoleon.
I took it that he meant the Revolutionary War.

izzythepush wrote:
Incidently my great Aunt Flo, who died in her 90's, about 30 years ago,
told me that when she was a little girl, her parents told her to be a good girl or Boney would get her.
That 's interesting; quaint.
I have a gold coin from Napoleon 's reign.
I got it in New Orleans, b4 Katrina.
We got out just b4 Katrina.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Pretty sad when conservatives campaign on religion,
and those with bankrupted morals in the same party has the highest
votes of confidence to become our president.
What do U care??
U r not voting Republican.
R u voting Communist??
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sad isn't the word ci. Hilarious is the word you want.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What was anachronistic rubbish Dave was the idea that the arms the citizens bear can protect them from the Government if push comes to shove and that freedom can be guaranteed by them doing so.

Freedom meant something different in the old days.

I didn't condemn the right to bear arms. Nor would I. I questioned Mr G. milking it sentimentally and suggested he was insulting his audience's intelligence. Four F-16s could cut New York off from supplies in short order.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:25 pm
@realjohnboy,
From Faith & Reason: [url=htp://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2011/12/rick-perry-obama-god-election-gop-campaign/1]Perry's Christian campaign ad 'a new low': Pastor[/url]:
Quote:
Gaddy points out,

...This is a race for commander-in-chief, not pastor-in-chief. His divisive and misleading message about faith has no place in a U.S Presidential campaign.

... As a fellow Christian, I want Gov. Perry to understand that he is woefully mistaken when he implies that it is his faith, rather than his policy views, that qualify him for office.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:28 pm
Its gonna be real fun with NEwt as a Candidate. If he makes it I propose we start a "Dead Newt pool" to lay bets about when (approximately) he will flame out .
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
It wasn't the Democrats that quit supporting Cain. They didn't support him at all, ever. Blame the Republicans for holding it against him and dropping him.

you got that right
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 05:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think he will, but we'll see.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 05:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
every politician of every stripe should be mock and disdained as openly and often as is humanly possible

a swift kick to the head wouldn't go amiss either