The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 04:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Why? I'm not voting for Obama again! I prefer to leave the presidential vote blank over voting for anyone who doesn't qualify.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 04:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Have you ever before, Tak, sat out an election?
I couldn't imagine my ever doing that.
spendius

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 04:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
I have sat out every election since my first. I felt I had been abused. The half-pencil, was attached to the wall with a string and on the way out I overheard two grannies who had both voted for the other candidate I had justifying their decision.
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 04:39 pm
@spendius,
well, at least you cancelled half of their opinion.

You are such a crybaby
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 04:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
Never sat out on any election, including local and state, but the next presidential election doesn't offer - as of yet - anyone I'd vote for.
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 04:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
are you hoping tht Hillary would run in a draft?
Obamas been a big disappointment but c'mon, GOP is running the Marx Brothers
spendius

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 05:01 pm
@farmerman,
If you want the Gutsy Broad all you need to do is poll the Rep choice to piss on Obama's chips.
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 05:03 pm
@spendius,
shes a bit of a Star Ranger though. She hasnt said anything thats made sense since day one.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 05:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good for you!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 05:35 pm
@farmerman,
Comparing the GOP runners to the Marx brothers only insults the Marx brothers. Mr. Green
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 05:58 pm
Are the cops the real thugs?

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 05:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

You guys keep telling us what a good position Obama is in and what a lousy position the Republicans are in. I'm glad you're so confident but it sounds like whistling past the graveyard to me.

I don't feel he is in a good position, but I think he's in a better position than the eventual Republican nominee will be.

If you look at the results of the poll from the NYT article I posted, the sentiments of most Americans reflect an anti-Tea Party, anti-Republican attitude on issues of taxing the very wealthy and wanting to see better distribution of wealth, since the Republicans and the Tea Party oppose moves in those directions. In that regard, any Republican can be portrayed by Obama as being out of touch with middle class and working class America, and the deep dissatisfaction those people are feeling. And, since Romney has made statements to the effect that the housing market should be allowed to bottom out, including continuing foreclosures, it should be easy, and not inaccurate, to portray that as being out of touch and rather heartless concerning the financial problems of a struggling middle class.
Quote:

With nearly all Americans remaining fearful that the economy is stagnating or deteriorating further, two-thirds of the public said that wealth should be distributed more evenly in the country. Seven in 10 Americans think the policies of Congressional Republicans favor the rich. Two-thirds object to tax cuts for corporations and a similar number prefer increasing income taxes on millionaires.

On Tuesday, the Congressional Budget Office released a new study concluding that income distribution had become much more uneven in the last three decades, a report that could figure prominently in the battle over how to revive the economy and rein in the federal debt.

Traditionally, the Republicans also attack the Democrats as being weak on national security and defense, and we saw the Republicans play the terrorist card in the last few elections. But Obama really isn't vulnerable on that score, and he'll be sure to remind everyone of that.

So, I don't think Obama is in a good position, because people feel frustrated by the slow economic recovery, and generally fed up and angry with government, but I do think he's in a better position than any of the potential Republican candidates. And the fact that none of the Republican candidates seems to be generating sustained excitement and support, helps Obama, although that may change once the Republicans settle on a candidate. But, if the candidate is Romney, I can't see him enthusing the right-wing conservative social issues voters, so it would depend on his appeal to more moderate Republicans and independents. And I am personally baffled by the increasing appeal of Herman Cain, simply because the man has never held elective office, and I think that lack of experience would certainly work against him in the general election. At the moment, Cain might be appealing simply because he "sounds good", but he offers nothing to show that he is actually prepared to function in the office of President--sitting behind the desk in the oval office really isn't the same as running a pizza company.

And, should the economy, or the jobs situation, start to perk up before election day, that would be a gift for Obama, and perhaps the only one he'll need to win re-election, because then the idea of changing horses mid-stream might not appeal to a lot of a people. But I certainly don't feel confident about that happening.
firefly

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 06:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I prefer to leave the presidential vote blank over voting for anyone who doesn't qualify.

I can't imagine doing that. There is always the lesser of two evils. One of the candidates is going to win and I'd rather register my preference.

I'd write in a vote for myself before I'd leave that spot on the ballot blank. Smile
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 06:04 pm
@firefly,
A spoilt paper is a positive vote, it cannot be classed as apathy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 07:12 pm
@firefly,
Well, maybe you're right, but the election is still over 12 months away and the GOP nominee hasn't even been decided.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 07:14 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
I'd write in a vote for myself before I'd leave that spot on the ballot blank.

That's exactly what i've done when i don't like either of the sons-of-bitches they're offering. I go in, ask for a paper ballot, and write in my own name for President, and the name of a girlfriend for Vice President.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 07:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Why? I'm not voting for Obama again! I prefer to leave the presidential vote blank over voting for anyone who doesn't qualify.

I may have to write-in Ronald Reagan.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 07:56 pm
@Ticomaya,
You do that, buddy!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 07:57 pm
@firefly,
Writing my own name on the ballot for president is a good consideration. LOL
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 08:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Maybe it will entitle you to secret service protection.