The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

spendius

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:08 pm
@H2O MAN,
It seems to me that Mr Cain must have been reading Hazlitt's Characters of Shakespeare's Plays in the matter of Coriolanus.

Quote:
.....is that those who have little shall have less, and that those who have much shall take all that others have left. The people are poor, therefor they ought to be starved. They are slaves, therefore they ought to be beaten. They work hard, therefore they ought to be treated like beasts of burden. They are ignorant, therefore they ought not to be allowed to feel that they want food or clothing or rest.

I know he watered it down a bit so I thought I would decode the general attitude I heard he had expressed and which was very common in some countries, still is in fact, before our Christian missionaries brought a modicum of civilisation to the Heart of Darkness.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:31 pm
So, looks like Christie will be endorsing Romney:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/chris-christie-endorse-mitt-romney-172152006.html

(I think the article overstates the significance though. Christie was avidly pursued partly because of potentiality -- how well he could connect with the electorate, etc. He hadn't really yet though, and isn't that well known nationally.)
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 01:59 pm
@sozobe,
The Repub debate tonight in NH is set for 8 pm eastern. I believe it will be on Fox. It will be interesting to see whether Perry is capable - after several debates - can overcome his bad, some would say quite bad, performances.
Will Romney directly go after Perry on the Mormon "cult" thing? He let Christie do that today, but Romney did chime in.
And can the other candidates find anything relevant to say in a debate supposedly devoted to the economy?
A Bloomberg/Washington Post poll asked people if they thought there family's economic situation might improve if
- Obama is reelected. 24% said yes
- A Republican is elected. 24% said yes
- 44% said it makes no difference. Things will not get better.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 02:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
Over 20% of the people say that they could never vote for a Mormon, so Romney's religion is highly relevant, though the media which mostly operates under PC law has decided that we cant talk about it. I would expect that Perry has a dodge ready to go, and that it will be employed tonight.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 06:39 pm
Anyone watching the NH debate? They are sitting at a big table as opposed to podiums. A bit civil so far, except that most agree the Bernanke and Geithtner should be hanged at sunrise.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 07:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
Pretty dull so far. Perry doing a bit better while Romney doesn't shine. The media people seem to be working on giving candidates relatively equal time.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 04:59 am
This quote illustrates why I could never vote for Willard Romney: "Herman, I have had the experience in my life of taking on some tough problems," Romney said when Cain asked if he could name every single one of the 59-points in his economic plan. "And I must admit that simple answers are always very helpful, but oftentimes inadequate."

Tough problem?

As for Herman Cain, never trust anyone who touts the simple.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 06:04 am
From what I've seen so far I imagine Mr Obama is a shoo-in next year.

It might make sense to cancel the election and put them all to work at something useful and the savings could go to reduce the deficits. Or some of them at least.
spendius

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 06:12 am
@spendius,
It is a bit much expecting us junior members of the Western World to see our putative next leader being made to look quite so ridiculous in order not to antagonise Media.
spendius

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:14 am
@spendius,
Media now demands that the candidates stand bareheaded before the mob, expose their wounds, sue for their votes, give their hearts the lie and bend the knee like a beggar asking for alms.

When greatness is not thrust upon someone, but is wheedled and cajoled for, those saying "Crisis--what crisis?" have history to support their position.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:15 am
Kevin Drum wrote:
Rick Perry continues to amaze. I mean, after his last disastrous outing, he must have known that Job 1 was looking like he was ready for prime time. Instead, he looked completely unprepared, as if he was surprised that people were still asking him actual questions instead of just nominating him on the spot.

Smile
JTT

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 08:18 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
Rick Perry continues to amaze. I mean, after his last disastrous outing, he must have known that Job 1 was looking like he was ready for prime time. Instead, he looked completely unprepared, as if he was surprised that people were still asking him actual questions ...

Looking back at GWB, and considering the brights of the American public, that can easily be seen as a recipe for success, Soz.

Never underestimate just how powerful, how alluring stupidity in a Repub candidate can be.
0 Replies

Jaisee

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:17 am
@hawkeye10,
Really are you the clueless? Perhaps WHEN we get back to GOD things will change for the better. Sadly too many Americans would rather run around like uncivilized morons who never have to be accountable or responsible for their choices and actions. Wise Up
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:22 am
@Jaisee,
Did you know that God is an atheist?

BBB
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:29 am
@Jaisee,
What do you mean when we get back to GOD? When are we getting back to GOD and what is it you imagine such a happening would look like in our government and country?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2011 11:37 am
@Jaisee,
Quote:
Really are you the clueless?
Clueless about what? I did not here or anywhere take a position on Christianity being good or bad, I here said that Perry being a devote Christian would not matter, elsewhere I have made the factual statement that Christianity is a dying religion. I believe that this civilization is ending, we will have a religion in the next civilization, but it will not be Christianity,

Quote:
Sadly too many Americans would rather run around like uncivilized morons who never have to be accountable or responsible for their choices and actions.
Americans are a spiritually broken poorly educated people, so I suspect that we agree here. I also think that as civilizations die the people become more uncivilized, so I know that we agree about that.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 07:54 am
What do people think about Jon Huntsman? Does he have any chance of landing the nomination?
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 08:45 am
I'm looking forward to having a man in the White House who can deliver on double pepperoni and cheese stuffed crust.
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 08:53 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
It's a definite improvement on maggoty speeches.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 12:39 pm
ABC reports that Herman Cain is often asked if he is the "flavor of the month" in the Republican race for the nomination. His standard response is that "Haagen-Dazs black walnut tastes good all the time."
It turns out the the premium ice cream maker discontinued the black walnut product with, presumably a straight face, that sales "...did not meet our expectations."
0 Replies