Obese Children a National Security Threat?

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:10 am
@engineer,
Or it could be about my sig line.

What word selection would better, in a statement about why signing a bill intended to fight childhood obesity is important?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:10 am
Childhood or children what is the difference? Y'all don't have to agree with me. That is perfectly fine with me.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:13 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Childhood or children what is the difference? Y'all don't have to agree with me. That is perfectly fine with me.

It's an important difference, because one externalizes the problem while the other doesn't.

'Childhood Obesity' is a condition that many children suffer from.

'Obese Children' are a specific group of people, and a description of their condition.

Michelle Obama ain't trying to get rid of Obese children, she's trying to fight the conditions that GET them that way.

Cycloptichorn
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:15 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I think she could have been more careful choosing her words. Do you honestly think when children do hear what she said they will understand it as adults do?
sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:16 am
@Arella Mae,
In addition to Cycloptichorn's good points, the difference is that you said this:

Arella Mae wrote:
Then she should have said OBESITY is a threat to national security and not put the word children in there.

Obesity is exactly what she did say. The type of obesity in question (because of the bill) is childhood obesity.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:19 am
@sozobe,
It is not only childhood obesity that effects health or the economy though. It is obesity of any kind. Not everyone that is obese was an obese child. I think it was insensitive to add that national security threat line. If you don't, then you don't. I have no problem with you or anyone else feeling differently. I was only saying how I feel about it.
sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:20 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
It is not only childhood obesity that effects health or the economy though. It is obesity of any kind.

Right. But do you understand that her remarks were related to the signing of a bill that is about childhood obesity?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:21 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I think she could have been more careful choosing her words. Do you honestly think when children do hear what she said they will understand it as adults do?

Oh, c'mon. I doubt that anything but an extremely tiny number of children will even HEAR that she said anything at all, let alone hear her actually speak or read a copy. And I don't see any evidence that their feelings should be hurt by what she said, either.

Are we really having a discussion on whether or not Mrs. Obama hurt little fat kids precious fee-fees when she was giving a speech on helping them? Rolling Eyes

I think it's been pretty conclusively shown here that Obama's words were both appropriate and accurate.

Cycloptichorn
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:22 am
I am sorry I brought it up.
sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:27 am
@Arella Mae,
Good.

Really, I think you're a nice person Arella Mae and I don't want to beat you up. But the lack of critical thinking shown here is downright scary to me. This is one example of something I see all the time. The news outlets that print the shortest, most incendiary version of anything make me mad, but they don't get anywhere unless people actually accept that version and can't look at it critically and figure out the truth themselves.

If this discussion makes you think twice next time you see one of those short, catchy, incendiary versions -- and maybe look for more information before coming to a conclusion -- good.
BillRM

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:30 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:

So now we need to used words that a even a slow seven grader can not misunderstand or AM for that matter.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:31 am
@sozobe,
There for a second I was thinking I was being a bit oversensitive to some of what some of you were saying. But I guess "the lack of critical thinking shown here is downright scary to me" comment proves to me I wasn't.

Why would you say such a thing merely because I disagree with you? I totally understand her wanting to stop childhood obesity, or obesity of any kind. I merely found one statement to be a little over the top. Why would you even want to beat someone up with a differing view of something? That certainly is not you from what I have observed over the years.

As I said, I am sorry I brought it up and I'm letting it all go.
sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:43 am
@Arella Mae,
It is downright scary.

This kind of lack of critical thinking -- by you, but by a bunch of other people too -- has real political implications.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:53 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
This kind of lack of critical thinking -- <snip> -- has real political implications.

that's one reason why a good speech writer is valuable - awareness of what people might take from a message, regardless of what the intended message was

I think AM's reception of the message is, in some ways, as important as the message was.

If you have to explain the message, you know something's gone wrong in the sending. It's like having to explain a joke.
djjd62

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:55 am
i believe that children are a direct threat to the future, think how much better the world would be in about a hundred or so years if there were no more children born starting today
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:56 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Has anyone heard the speech Michelle Obama made claiming obese children are a national security threat?

as has been pointed out - that isn't actually what she said. It is interesting that this is how you interpreted what was said.

Hopefully, the people who help her prepare her speeches/comments will work on how messages are presented.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:59 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
The craziest thing I see here is a willful misreading of a pretty straightforward statement. See my sig line.

I don't think you're correct in your assessment of AM's reading of the comments.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:59 am
@ehBeth,
I do know what you're saying. But at the same time I think there are limitations.

I don't think the "how it's taken" is always a good barometer. Some things are just plain twisted -- and this is a non-partisan issue. It happened to Bush +co, it happens to Obama + co.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 12:03 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I am sorry I brought it up.

You shouldn't be. After all, you're right: it was an extremely stupid thing for Michelle Obama to say.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 12:05 pm
Are you allowed to express opinions counter to the sense of the crowd in such matters? I'm just sayin' . . .