Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:02 pm
Narcissism No Longer a Psychiatric Disorder
By TARA PARKER-POPE
Scott Menchin

Narcissistic personality disorder, characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance and the need for constant attention, has been eliminated from the upcoming manual of mental disorders, which psychiatrists use to diagnose mental illness.

As Charles Zanor reports in today’s Science Times, the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders — due out in 2013 and known as D.S.M.-5 — has eliminated five of the 10 personality disorders that are listed in the current edition. The best known of these is narcissistic personality disorder.

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:05 pm
@dyslexia,
My guess is that the term "narcissistic" has been so over used/misused that its become meaningless.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:09 pm
@dyslexia,
We could call it the Cassius Clay Syndrome .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:15 pm
A disorder has to be an outstanding personality trait. Perhaps narcissism has become pervasive in our society. (only half joking).
dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:20 pm
@littlek,
actually no, it has to be a dysfunctional personality trait.
littlek

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:21 pm
@dyslexia,
Ah. Maybe it ceased to be dysfunctional because the society is more egocentric as a whole.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:21 pm
No DSM-5 designation?

No Social Security disability $$$.

No more getting paid for being an a$$hole.

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:24 pm
@PUNKEY,
you can't spell asshole? try "dyslexia"
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 04:58 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Ah. Maybe it ceased to be dysfunctional because the society is more egocentric as a whole.

you are onto something here.
Ceili

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 05:04 pm
@chai2,
Apparently, half the users of facebook fit that (old) description, so I'd have to agree with lil'k too.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 05:10 pm
@dyslexia,
This will kill half of the threads where people talk about why they divorced their spouse.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 05:13 pm
I have to re-read the article, forget the details, but it's not really as simple as "narcissism no longer exists." It's more a classification thing -- the person who would currently be labeled as "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" would now be "Personality Disorder with [various specific elements of Narcissism]."

Excerpt from the article I read (not actually Tara Parker Pope's):

Quote:
Actually, they aren’t happy about the elimination of the other four disorders either, and they’re not shy about saying so.

One of the sharpest critics of the DSM committee on personality disorders is a Harvard psychiatrist, Dr. John Gunderson, an old lion in the field of personality disorders and the person who led the personality disorders committee for the current manual.

Asked what he thought about the elimination of narcissistic personality disorder, he said it showed how “unenlightened” the personality disorders committee is.

“They have little appreciation for the damage they could be doing.” He said the diagnosis is important in terms of organizing and planning treatment.

“It’s draconian,” he said of the decision, “and the first of its kind, I think, that half of a group of disorders are eliminated by committee.”

He also blamed a so-called dimensional approach, which is a method of diagnosing personality disorders that is new to the DSM. It consists of making an overall, general diagnosis of personality disorder for a given patient, and then selecting particular traits from a long list in order to best describe that specific patient.

This is in contrast to the prototype approach that has been used for the past 30 years: the narcissistic syndrome is defined by a cluster of related traits, and the clinician matches patients to that profile.

The dimensional approach has the appeal of ordering à la carte — you get what you want, no more and no less. But it is precisely because of this narrow focus that it has never gained much traction with clinicians.

It is one thing to call someone a neat and careful dresser. It is another to call that person a dandy, or a clotheshorse, or a boulevardier. Each of these terms has slightly different meanings and conjures up a type.

And clinicians like types. The idea of replacing the prototypic diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder with a dimensional diagnosis like “personality disorder with narcissistic and manipulative traits” just doesn’t cut it.

(Emphases mine.)

The reclassification system claimed some other disorders too, not just NPD.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/health/views/30mind.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:23 pm
@PUNKEY,
I think you're right. Damn!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:22 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

My guess is that the term "narcissistic" has been so over used/misused that its become meaningless.

My guess is that the author(s) of the new edition of "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders " are narcissistic themselves and tired of hearing about it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:43 pm
@dyslexia,
I read tara parker pope but I don't take her as on top of all that is new in science, just a voice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:39 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:

The term may well be over-used, & inappropriately used, too ... I can go along with that, dys.
But a meaningless term, no.
I lived with one for close to 20 years & let me say, some harm was done.

But, that said, I can see absolutely no good reason why you shouldn't celebrate yourself! Very Happy
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 04:16 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
I am the greatest.
Ahhh...sylexadic...you were good, not great....sorry.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 05:32 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Narcissism No Longer a Psychiatric Disorder
By TARA PARKER-POPE
Scott Menchin

Narcissistic personality disorder, characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance and the need for constant attention, has been eliminated from the upcoming manual of mental disorders, which psychiatrists use to diagnose mental illness.

As Charles Zanor reports in today’s Science Times, the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders — due out in 2013 and known as D.S.M.-5 — has eliminated five of the 10 personality disorders that are listed in the current edition. The best known of these is narcissistic personality disorder.

Fine, but what does this have to do with ME????
dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 08:55 am
@FBM,
What it means is that using the new DSM Narcissistic personality disorder will no longer be a billable diagnosis for insurance purposes, which is the primary function of the DSM.
Eva

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 09:34 am
@dyslexia,
Aha. Well, that makes a lot more sense now.