Cats are incapable of feeling guilt.

BillRM

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 02:30 pm
@Roberta,
Not being pack animals I do not think that guilt is big with cats however I am sure they can and do feel love.

What more can you ask for or from an animal or a human?
roger

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 02:32 pm
@BillRM,
Interesting. I never thought of a relationship between packs and guilt. That might make someone a good dissertation topic.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 02:54 pm

Cats have been & r very capable
of showing their emotions thru their facial expressions and their body language.

It can be DRAMATIC.

David
roger

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 04:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Body language, for sure. Facial expressions? Maybe - if you mean ear positioning.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 11:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Body language, for sure. Facial expressions? Maybe - if you mean ear positioning.
Its more than that,
including movements of facial muscles n eye movements,
changes of head posture; very similar to humans. Its surprizing.

David
roger

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 12:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David, the wretched beasts can watch an axe murder with less visible interest than the fluttering of a moth.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 02:53 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
David, the wretched beasts can watch an axe murder
with less visible interest than the fluttering of a moth.
So have humans.
That 's just not what rings their feline bells.

I speak on the basis of observation.
(However, I am carefully keeping all of my axes safe from molestation.)

Fido

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 06:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

roger wrote:
David, the wretched beasts can watch an axe murder
with less visible interest than the fluttering of a moth.
So have humans.
That 's just not what rings their feline bells.

I speak on the basis of observation.
(However, I am carefully keeping all of my axes safe from molestation.)

We do it all the time... We can see it on television, and the fact that we cannot see every life snuffed out like a candle does not stop us from watching events over and over again.... There are movies from long ago in China with people standing knee deep in bloody mud, stretching the necks of other Chinamen with their pig tails for them to be lopped off and swung through an arc onto a mountain of other disconnected heads.... We have video records right up to the present moment of people brought to their deaths and executed, and it is all so macabre to know it is going on at this moment, and only our unwillingness to disregard it stands between us and our ability to stop it.. .

People going to church on Sunday can find themselves on Wenesday night howling for the life of some codemned prisoner, and the fact that the animal whose life they want extinguished may never have known humanity, kindness or mercy does not silence them... Such people in our midst may be an indictment of our treatment of others, of the failure of our society, but our defense of injustice generally seals our fates and justifies every injustice we must endure... What shall such people do when evil confronts them and demands their death's??? Will they hold up their hands and ask for mercy??? Mercy for such people is death, so they are there-by relieved of living their lives confounded by hypocracy and blindness and deafness to human suffering...

Cats have no sense of beauty, no sense of love, and no hint of the meaning of life... How often they may kill with a full belly because some bird or mouse has become their cat's paw never concerns them... It should concern us... We know that to sow the wind is to reap the whirl wind, and we do it every day... Only our unreasonable expectation that we are blessed to be above all the strife and war and suffering allows us our actions and inactions... Rationally, we should know better; that the misery we set loose, and the killers we export must some day return and destroy us... But we flop down and watch the bug light as we await our turn...
BillRM

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:09 am
@Fido,
Quote:
Cats have no sense of beauty, no sense of love, and no hint of the meaning of life...

You poor poor person never having the love of a cat direct toward you.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:26 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Cats have no sense of beauty, no sense of love, and no hint of the meaning of life...
U have no way of knowing WHAT the cat is thinking, nor his opinions.

David
Fido

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:27 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

You poor poor person never having the love of a cat direct toward you.
I just had to push the cat off my lap to write this; but her being their could signify many things... I am the go to guy around here and the animals figure that out...
Fido

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Fido wrote:

David
That is correct, but we might say the same of a person, that if they can express no human thought they are not having human thought...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:31 am
@Fido,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Fido wrote:

David
Fido wrote:
That is correct, but we might say the same of a person,
that if they can express no human thought they are not having human thought...
Sometimes that's true.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:32 am
@Fido,
If you have cats in your life then you know or should know damn well they love.

Hell I just been outside and was told that my cat was glue to the window watching me and crying until I came in.

My wife sure the hell does not do that. Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 10:00 am
For those that think one can't read a cats face...

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc386/Shellina63/Moosh12152010-1.jpg

I can tell you, without a doubt, that THIS face says "Geesh! Stop screaming like that every time I scratch you!"

Of course, this is also ALWAYS her expression.
roger

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 02:42 pm
@squinney,
Exactly! If you are making a movie that calls for a cat to have various facial expressions or do tricks, it's best to get similar looking cats for each expression or trick.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 02:49 pm
@squinney,
That beagle always makes me smile.
Oh, sorry, tangent, she says penitently.
roger

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 03:29 pm
@ossobuco,
S'okay. That is one guilty looking dawg.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 03:31 pm

Its only FAIR that u give them Miranda.
roger

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 04:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Miranda? That's Deb's cat, and she hasn't even joined in to tell us how empathetic her little darling is.