Men -- Would You Wear Makeup if it were Socially Acceptable?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:25 pm
I think that it might bother me, if a man, not be able to wear, something, anything. As a woman, I can wear anything.. at least when I was thinner, I could wear a men's shirt and tight jeans, say, and have no one make conjectures re my sexuality. Men do have feminine aspects, whether gay or bi or not, but have more barriers socially to act that out than women do their masculine attributes.

On makeup, I have no idea. I have as a california woman barely used any make up in decades, too damn much trouble. It has seemed that women in NY use it much more than we do. Yes, a little concealer, some lipstick, color on brows if you are nearalbino. A little something if your undereyes are nearing swampy green.

I make up for this lack of interest with earrings.

Now there is another frontier for men, besides the odd ring or two.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:19 am
I do enjoy wearing jewelry, there is just something about accessories that I really like. But putting some gook on my face and acting like it makes me prettier than my natural face, even if I have scars and blemishes (which I do), is completely absurd and unnecessary.

As for women's clothing, I have not nor do I expect that I will ever have an urge to wear skin-tight, form-fitting, try-to-squeeze-an-extra-inch-in clothing. That was all left behind in the eighties, thank god!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 02:20 am
Subtle makeup - yes. Garish makeup - no.

Makeup should be used to "enhance" your natural beauty, unfortunately, some people try to "create" beauty through makeup !!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 03:13 am
Ceili wrote:
Up here, we call the mullet - hockey hair. Red neck hair. I live in a pretty masculine city, it seems 50% of the vehicles are pickups. We were almost at the point where the mullet was gone from the landscape, kicked out of the local fashion sense and dammit, I read an article stating it was back.
I can't imagine make-up ever becoming normal at least not till the mullet dies.

We call it the mullet in England too... oh my god- It's back??!! Kill it, for the love of God, kill it! It is the worst and most malevolent haircut every designed. Why would it be back?!

My opinion is that people should do what they want to do, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else or involve the unconsenting. Apart from people growing mullets, that is; anyone who does that in this day and age should face detention.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:29 am
Quote:
Dying of grey hair has been socially acceptable for men for some time but I don't bother with that either.

I didn't know it could kill you! I'd better get my locks colored ASAP.

Quote:
It was originally just a cigarette, I wonder what cig and fag have in common? Oh....

My one piece of information in the world. Prolly wrong. "Fag" or "faggot" comes from the old word for a bundle of firewood. Something you burned. For a cigarette the relationship is pretty obvious. For homosexuals it's pretty awful: think the holocaust.

As to makeup... absolutely not. Don't understand it on menfolk or on womenfolk. The idea of walking around with stuff smeared on my face is -- well, I don't much care for the thought.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:32 am
While we are on the topic, has anyone else noticed that the boys on 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' don't actually dress that well?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:39 am
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
Dying of grey hair has been socially acceptable for men for some time but I don't bother with that either.

I didn't know it could kill you! I'd better get my locks colored ASAP.

Silly boy! Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:53 am
Quote:
While we are on the topic, has anyone else noticed that the boys on 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' don't actually dress that well?

Blasphemer! I suppose you're going to say the Melissa and Joan Rivers were ugly dresses to the Oscars, too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:56 am
Heh heh....Mrs. cav met Melissa once, at an Oscar party and says in real life she's startin' to look like Skeletor.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:59 am
<GRIN>
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 09:06 am
I've been told more than once that I am a dead ringer for a young Charles Bronson.

Can you imagine makeup on that mug?

(Well, maybe I'll try just a little eyeliner.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 09:18 am
Spackle, gustav. Spackle.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:29 am
hmmm, patiodog with make-up.
it could work.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:36 am
I'm uncomfortable with synthetic fabrics next to my skin, never mind goop.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:38 am
Burt's Bees makes some wonderful, natural products... Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:54 am
Absoluteleeeeeee, sozobeeeee!
There are some lovely natural cosmetic products which would not be harmful to the patiodog.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:54 am
Slight tangent -- A year or so ago, a treehugger-hippie-bio-cosmetics chain store called "The Body Shop" advertized with posters saying "We don't test our products on animals. We use tyrants instead". Below that headline, there were pictures of Ghaddafi, Ceaucescu, Saddam Hussein, and I think Robert Mugabe, terribly mutilated with lipstick, makeup and eye shadow.

I loved that poster. This thread, combined with the pictures of Saddam Hussein's interrogation, brought the memory back to my mind these days.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:56 am
make up...men??? uh uh. how could I get all grabby on you if i'm worrying about getting your foundation all over me?

i think not. If i am not wearing it, neither should you be :-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:56 am
hehehe, the sister of the Body Shop's founder works here. She'd be quite amused by your description of it, Thomas. I'll have to save it for her.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:13 pm
Only time I wear make up is when I get drunk and smear my ex-girlfriend's lipstick all over myself while locked in my bedroom listening to "Every Rose Has it's Thorn."

Other than that...hell no. Wicked gay.
0 Replies