Men -- Would You Wear Makeup if it were Socially Acceptable?

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 05:56 pm
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/12/14/magazine/14makeup.184.jpg

You know you want to... Cool

I've been wondering when this would happen, seems like the logical next step in marketing to men. There are metrosexuals, there is "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" educating Joe Schmo about nose hair and mousse, and now Gaultier is doing big business in makeup for men -- 90% of sales to straight men, he says (though who knows how he got that number.)

Would you?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/magazine/14MAKEUP.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 9,138 • Replies: 89
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 05:57 pm
Quote:
Makeup for Men
By DAVID RAKOFF

Published: December 14, 2003

Heretofore, men's personal grooming has been more a matter of maintenance than augmentation; a haircut as opposed to a henna treatment. But in this age of rampant metrosexuality, when even Maxim magazine has its own line of hair color for men, the arrival of Jean Paul Gaultier's Tout Beau seems a cultural inevitability. Tout Beau is the first line of makeup specifically aimed at men. According to a Gaultier press release, the Tout Beau line -- including a powder bronzer, a concealer and kohl liner for eyes and lip balm in three shades: natural, fair skin and tawny -- is a ''bold, virile line of revolutionary tools'' designed to ''enhance masculinity'' and ''offer each and every man the right to be naturally handsome.''

The packaging is understated. The bronzer and brush are concealed in a shiny black cube, an architectonic plaything one might find on an executive's desk. The nail fortifier looks like a squat black marker, and the concealer/kohl pen is a dead ringer for a Pilot Razor Point.

The advertising, on the other hand, makes no attempt at obfuscating the ultimate purpose of Tout Beau. The face of the campaign is a pouting model in an open, French-cuff linen shirt. His black fedora is tilted jauntily over his right eye, while his left is rimmed in kohl. The kohl is everywhere, actually: the upper arch of his eyebrow is outlined in it; a sharp line of the stuff extends down from his sideburn, accentuating the angle of his cheekbone; and above his mouth -- a plummy, shining moue -- are two slender strokes of a painted-on mustache. He looks smooth and tandooried.

Gaultier has proclaimed that 90 percent of the sales of his men's makeup in France have been to straight men. And since Tout Beau was introduced in the United States last month, sales have been brisk -- Macy's moved $13,000 worth of men's makeup in the week after its debut. Fashion-world observers say they're not surprised that regular guys would be reaching for the mascara. ''With people living longer and longer,'' says Pete Born, vice president of Women's Wear Daily, ''they are expected to remain productive for a lot longer. All of a sudden, appearance is an integral part of one's ability to make money.'' Who knows? By this time next year, perhaps the innocuous corporate badinage of men across the country will have morphed from ''Hot enough for you?'' and ''Don't work too hard'' to ''Dude, where's my concealer?''
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:00 pm
If it were Socially Acceptable, Boss--subjunctive clause there . . .

No, but My Sweetiepie would probably decide i should, and bully me until i gave in . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:01 pm
Yer right!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:04 pm
On both counts ! ! !
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:07 pm
Er, I was hoping not to be nailed down on that second count, there...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:09 pm
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/weihnachten/xmas-smiley-041.gif

what an excellent idea for a christmas present! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/weihnachten/xmas-smiley-042.gif
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:09 pm
I saw the article. Not sure I'd ever do it. The guy in the photo looks good in a theatrical kind of way, as though he's about to perform somewhere.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with that, of course...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:15 pm
Actually I think the photo is awful. I think they could have done something much more appealing, that would make guys go hmmmm... like take someone with big bags/ dark smudges under his eyes and add concealer. (Before/ after pic.) Or just a little bronzer. More natural... the kohl kinda takes it over the top. Kinda.

(Wondering if Setanta will ever forgive me...)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:19 pm
The only reason I'd use it is to conceal blemishes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:22 pm
See what cosmetics have done for this guy! Laughing

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VAD!AgcbD7Gr63JZtcNFrZjh5fdmnL0zcGODX1snZExL2S8fYBWwUELb1KeWeecyWktxb*WVoptDxBjwALs3Nx*M*96E*!81Bavn0KispQ09QnwgXaTcQbVz*1NxkYhf/michaeljacksonface.jpg?dc=4675451464227717452
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:23 pm
Would I wear makeup? I don't think so -- problably not. Two reasons: One, my little sister, who is basically a clone of mine exept for that little X-chromosome mishap, almost never wears makeup either. Two, women who are on the technical/scientific/mathematical side like I am rarely wear makeup, although there are exceptions.

Obviously, I wouldn't mind having lipstick all over my face someday. But I don't think that's what you meant by "wearing makeup".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:30 pm
hmmm, so Thomas doesn't want to look better than his sister. Is that what he just said?

An old beau/friend used to like to have make-up applied when he was, errrr, in a slightly disinhibited state. Gotta admit, he was awfully pretty once he was done up. Prettier than I've ever been.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:30 pm
Quote:
See what cosmetics have done for this guy!

Never mind the scalpel.

I've dated a couple of guys that wore eyeliner, nail polish, back in my punk days. It never mattered to me. But then, our whole mission was to defy society conventions.
I think it would take a lot to make male makeup mainstream. Most of the guys around here were just starting to out the mullet and now its back in.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:35 pm
No way. I've done it for costume parties, but societal stigma or what not, it's just too much damn work.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:35 pm
Quote:
out the mullet

Celli- I don't understand that expression. They never said that in Brooklyn! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:37 pm
Oh, just saw Craven's post. Yeah, occasionaly I use makeup to cover blemishes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:40 pm
cav- OK, but you really ought to talk to your hairdresser about the stuff that she uses on your hair. I think that a bit more on the auburn side would be much more becoming! Laughing
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:42 pm
Up here, we call the mullet - hockey hair. Red neck hair. I live in a pretty masculine city, it seems 50% of the vehicles are pickups. We were almost at the point where the mullet was gone from the landscape, kicked out of the local fashion sense and dammit, I read an article stating it was back.
I can't imagine make-up ever becoming normal at least not till the mullet dies.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 06:45 pm
Celli- Aha- thanks!
0 Replies