FBI Nab another nut job wanna be terrorist

BillRM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 04:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye he could had gotten a hold of a gun or two so he is not a complete non-threat even it there is no indication that he could even had build a simple pipe bomb by himself.

The government should have arrested him for trying to get a hold of terrorists but feeding the poor fool a fantasy as to how he will be as great a terrorist as Carlos for over a year was a shameful waste of resources.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 04:30 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Hawkeye he could had gotten a hold of a gun or two so he is not a complete non-threat even it there is no indication that he could even had build a simple pipe bomb by himself.

Had he indicated that he was willing to be a martyr, that is willing to die in the act, then sure. That also would have told me as a person in charge of public safety that we need to get him in the system NOW, and that putting a year into building a bigger charge is not in the public good.
BillRM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 04:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
You do not need to be a martyr to shot people at random with a gun look at the Washington area sniper team.

Even without the skills of a sniper and just a handgun you could get away with killing any numbers of people with just a handgun such as the Son of Sam for example.

You could do it in a manner to send a message also such as shotting Jews on their way to temple.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:18 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

You do not need to be a martyr to shot people at random with a gun look at the Washington area sniper team
we had a case of a crazy guy shooting up a Forza coffee shop and killing 4 cops, but normally she someone does that they expect to die in the process, it is a form of suicide by cop. I dont get the impression that this portand wanna be bomber either wanted to die, or had the stones to get up close and personal like that. I have seen enough crime shows to doubt your assertion.
BillRM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I have seen enough crime shows to doubt your assertion.

Look up the Son of Sam and take note of the numbers of couples he got away with killings before the police found him,

In some of the Detroit suburbs you can watch a subgroup of Orthodox Jews who name I can not think of at the moment walking to temple with the men in black outfits with large hats and full beards with their families.

Sitting and defenseless targets for anyone with a handgun/shotgun driving by.

There is no need to do a suicide attack using a handgun as there are many targets where someone chance of killing and getting away afterward is sadly good.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:22 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Thomas wrote:
But I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know when a guilty mind is enough to convict someone in the absence of a guilty act.

A "guilty mind" is never enough without an act. There must be both mens rea and an actus reus.

OK, then what is the "guilty act" when I smuggle what I think is contraband, but what is in fact legal to import?
roger

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 07:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I have seen enough crime shows to doubt your assertion.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:16 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
OK, then what is the "guilty act" when I smuggle what I think is contraband, but what is in fact legal to import?

We've had this discussion before. In fact, we discussed your hypothetical. Frankly, I think the situation where the person smuggles legal goods is on the borderline between factual impossibility and legal impossibility. If it's a case of factual impossibility, then the would-be smuggler's guilty act would be his attempt to evade the customs authorities. If it's a case of legal impossibility, then there's no guilty act at all.
Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:26 am
@joefromchicago,
OK. So the would-be terroris''s guilty act would have been his attempt to blow up a bomb in the middle of that Portland crowd. The attempt was factually impossible, but that's no legal defense.

That leaves the issue of entrapment, or some moral equivalent of it. Here is the test Wikipedia's article on entrapment cites, albeit without sources. It says that for an entrapment defense to work, defendants need to show three things:

Wikipedia wrote:
  • The idea for committing the crime came from the government agents and not from the person accused of the crime.
  • Government agents then persuaded or talked the person into committing the crime. Simply giving him the opportunity to commit the crime is not the same as persuading him to commit the crime.
  • The person was not ready and willing to commit the crime before the government agents spoke with him.

Source
If the "Wikipedia test" accurately describes how the defense works—does it?—I don not see how either of the criteria are met. This sting doesn't even close enough to be a moral equivalent of entrapment.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:45 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
OK. So the would-be terroris''s guilty act would have been his attempt to blow up a bomb in the middle of that Portland crowd. The attempt was factually impossible, but that's no legal defense.

Correct.

Thomas wrote:
If the "Wikipedia test" accurately describes how the defense works—does it?—I don not see how either of the criteria are met. This sting doesn't even close enough to be a moral equivalent of entrapment.

Given what I know about this case, I agree.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 03:47 am
Quote:
But the FBI's approach has come under fire from some Muslims, criticism that surfaced again late last month after agents arrested an Oregon man they said tried to detonate a bomb at a Christmas tree-lighting ceremony. FBI technicians had supplied the device.

In the Irvine case, Monteilh's mission as an informant backfired. Muslims were so alarmed by his talk of violent jihad that they obtained a restraining order against him.

He had helped build a terrorism-related case against a mosque member, but that also collapsed. The Justice Department recently took the extraordinary step of dropping charges against the worshiper, who Monteilh had caught on tape agreeing to blow up buildings, law enforcement officials said. Prosecutors had portrayed the man as a dire threat.

Compounding the damage, Monteilh has gone public, revealing secret FBI methods and charging that his "handlers" trained him to entrap Muslims as he infiltrated their mosques, homes and businesses. He is now suing the FBI.

Officials declined to comment on specific details of Monteilh's tale but confirm that he was a paid FBI informant. Court records and interviews corroborate not only that Monteilh worked for the FBI - he says he made $177,000, tax-free, in 15 months - but that he provided vital information on a number of cases.

Some Muslims in Southern California and nationally say the cascading revelations have seriously damaged their relationship with the FBI, a partnership that both sides agree is critical to preventing attacks and homegrown terrorism.

Citing Monteilh's actions and what they call a pattern of FBI surveillance, many leading national Muslim organizations have virtually suspended contact with the bureau.

"The community feels betrayed," said Shakeel Syed, executive director of the Islamic Shura Council of Southern California, an umbrella group of more than 75 mosques
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/04/AR2010120403710.html?hpid=topnews

The American citizen has absolutely been betrayed by the federal government, who no longer respects the sovereignty and the rights of the citizen. It is critical that we communicate to the Muslim community that it is not they who have been abused by the government, it is all of us.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 12:08 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Quit trying to construe everything I write as some kind of nefarious plot to twist your words and make you out to be a hypocrite. It just makes you look like a paranoid crybaby.

I don't see it as any "nefarious plot", just pedestrian intellectual dishonesty really and there is no profit to be had in a discussion with you if you make up my position for me.

If having the temerity to ask you to exhibit elementary intellectual honesty makes me a "paranoid crybaby" then so be it.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 12:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes, I can see how that's much easier than actually trying to address my argument.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 12:49 pm
@joefromchicago,
What argument would that be Joe? I didn't notice anything new, just questions that I felt I'd already answered. I'm not interested in repeating myself but if there is something of substance that I have missed please point it out.

So far all the arguments from you that I can identify center around misrepresenting my arguments. Correcting your misrepresentation of my position is an appropriate response to these so-called arguments whether or not you devolve into namecalling as a result.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 04:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

What argument would that be Joe? I didn't notice anything new, just questions that I felt I'd already answered. I'm not interested in repeating myself but if there is something of substance that I have missed please point it out.

You can start by answering my questions in this post.

Robert Gentel wrote:
So far all the arguments from you that I can identify center around misrepresenting my arguments. Correcting your misrepresentation of my position is an appropriate response to these so-called arguments whether or not you devolve into namecalling as a result.

Please point out where I misrepresented your argument.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 02:04 am
Quote:
One story has now been openly reported – that Mohamud’s own father turned him into the FBI nearly one year ago -- an event that ultimately led to the FBI sting operation and the arrest.

Many Americans of all backgrounds are wondering why instead of using the tip to help the teenager, the FBI instead allegedly groomed him for entrapment. Why, instead of stopping a young alleged would-be terrorist from becoming radicalized and a danger to others, the FBI apparently assisted him in continuing along that very path.
so, it turns out to be true...

Quote:
Perhaps no one second-guessed these things because the tight-knit Somali-American community as a whole never had reason, until now, to feel that one of their own could be "used against" them, as Yussuf says many feel. Mainly because the community is authentically grateful to have been welcomed in the United States. "We the people who came to this country are the peace-loving people. We are happy to be in this country. This is the only country right now we have left for us," Yussuf adds.

Now that he has been arrested, many people, including his lawyer, are considering the possibility that any double life Mohammad Osman might have lived could have been bolstered by a very powerful -- and presumably for a teenager, intimidating -- source: the government itself.

"The information released by the government raises significant concerns about the government manufacturing crime -- or entrapment," his lawyer stated this week. But whether he was brainwashed and intimidated by authority figures or, as the government alleges, he acted on his own, Mohamud has a long road to travel before he can clear his name, if ever

Reports are that he is going for the entrapment defense.
JPB

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 10:30 am
@hawkeye10,
I would say that at this point you can only say, "it turns out to be alleged". How did you get all the way to "true"?
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 10:48 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Reports are that he is going for the entrapment defense.

Duh.

There really isn't another defense they can use.

In the bombing case that just ended here the defense argued that the deaths weren't caused by their clients because all they did was leave a bomb in front of the bank -- the deaths were caused by the cop who picked up the bomb and blew himself and another cop to bits.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 12:20 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
I would say that at this point you can only say, "it turns out to be alleged". How did you get all the way to "true"?
I was getting at that this guys own family turned him in, which I earlier said makes the government running the charges up even more reprehensible.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 05:50 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

You can start by answering my questions in this post.

I was hoping you'd be more specific and less, you know, repetitive. But I'll humor you.

Quote:
Well then what is your problem? If the government didn't entrap the guy, and it wasn't complicit in his crimes, then what exactly did it do that was so wrong?

I called it merely "dubious", and I was already clear on what I dislike about it but I'll make it bold this time to be easier to spot:

I believe that without the government's participation it is unlikely that this individual would have attempted such an act. He seemed incapable (without their charade) despite his willingness and they could have taken him in earlier on lesser charges without becoming the producers in the terrorist attack charade.

I do not think the government entrapped him (which would violate their obligations), merely that it was untoward in how it, as hawkeye put it, "ran up the score" on wannabe teenage terrorist.

Quote:
If you were talking about morality, then you were necessarily talking about obligations, since there are no morals if there are no obligations to be moral.

I do not think there I have any obligation to share my lunch with a hungry beggar, but I do think that refusing to do so, and taunting him with my food is untoward. Similarly I can find the government's actions untoward without considering them to have broken an obligation. I do not think they quite crossed that line but I think they strayed too close to it for my comfort.

Quote:
Untoward? What does that mean in this context?

Much the same as it does in any: inappropriate, unseemly.

Quote:
Please point out where I misrepresented your argument.

Why? I already have and you... replied (remember your "could" vs. "should" wordplay?). I'd rather not type all the same letters again in the same order given the whole dislike for repetition thing I've got going on.