FBI Nab another nut job wanna be terrorist

BillRM

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert they surrounded this kid with agents and play unneeded games with him all a year or so!!!!!!! I agree with you if they feel he could not be useful as bait he should had been charge at once.

The whole damn thing seem to be nothing but expense government theatre aim at the public.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:37 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
The whole damn thing seem to be nothing but expense government theatre aim at the public.
the government putting on security theater is not exactly a new show.....
djjd62

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
the government putting on security theater is not exactly a new show.....

true, my favourite, the pantomime show those guys put on in Dallas a few years back, pretending to protect the president, funny stuff
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Why are you asking me this? I made very clear that I think the police should have acted sooner, rather than later and you are construing my position as if I call for them to "stand back" for some reason (probably because it's an easier position to argue against).

No, you didn't make that very clear at all, but thanks for making that explicit now.

Robert Gentel wrote:
I think they should have charged him with the weaker charges that being a wannabe terrorist soliciting help to commit murder allowed them. This would have allowed them to prevent further attacks without being so complicit in the logistics of the fake attack.

By helping Mohamud "dig his own grave," so to speak, the government wasn't being "complicit" in the crime. After all, the government lacked any intent to commit the crime -- indeed, it was actively working to prevent the crime. Mohamud, on the other hand, willingly took each additional step forward toward furthering the plan -- you yourself admit there was no entrapment here.

Let's say that the plan to explode the bomb in Portland consisted of steps 1, 2, 3, and 4. The steps are sequential, and at each step Mohamud could have stopped and said "I won't go any further." In addition, at each step the government could have stopped and arrested Mohamud, although the crimes increase in magnitude at each step, so that step 1 would be of a lesser magnitude than step 2 and so on. Now, if Mohamud was willing to go all the way from step 1 to step 4, why is the government morally obligated to stop him at step 1?
Thomas

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Was there any realistic chance that this was was going to be a successful terrorist?

I don't know.

hawkeye10 wrote:
Is a fake truck bomb a "weapon of mass destruction"?

No, but as I understand American criminal law, this may not matter for purposes of arresting the man who ignited it. The wannabe terrorist's "guilty mind" may be enough. Jay Feinman's book Law 101, for example, describes a case where customs officers arrested a man who smuggled something that was in fact legal, but that the smuggler thought was illegal to import. The arrest turned out to be lawful. The same logic may apply here. But I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know when a guilty mind is enough to convict someone in the absence of a guilty act.

hawkeye wrote:
Should agents of the US government EVER be hatching plots to attack america?

No they shouldn't. But I don't think you showed that the US government ever did hatch a plot to attack America. As you said yourself, they were hatching a plot to explode a fake bomb. I don't see the big problem with that.
boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 05:08 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
they surrounded this kid with agents and play unneeded games with him all a year or so!!!!!!! .

They "surrounded" him with two agents who met with him 7 times over a year and a half:

Quote:
August: Mohamed Osman Mohamud e-mails unindicted associate one (UA1) in Pakistan.

December: In code UA1 and Mohamud discuss "traveling to Pakistan to prepare for violent jihad."

Early months: Mohamud makes multiple attempts to contact a second unnamed associate (UA2) but uses the wrong e-mail.

June: Undercover FBI employee contacts Mohamud, posing as an affiliate of UA1.

July 30: The undercover FBI employee meets Mohamud in Portland; Mohamud says he thought of putting an explosion together but needed help doing so.

Aug. 19: Two undercover FBI operatives meet Mohamud in a Portland hotel. Mohamud says he has identified a potential bomb target: the annual Christmas-tree lighting ceremony in Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Sept. 7: The two operatives meet Mohamud again at a downtown Portland hotel. One agent tells Mohamud to do "what's in your heart." The agents ask Mohamud to buy bomb parts and find a "place to put the bomb."

Sept. 27 and 30: An undercover FBI operative receives bomb parts in the mail from Mohamud.

Oct. 3: Two FBI operatives and Mohamud meet at a Corvallis hotel and discuss logistics and the need for Mohamud to leave the country after the explosion.

Nov. 4: The three meet in Corvallis, travel to remote Lincoln County and detonate a test bomb. Mohamud gives the agents a thumb drive with maps and instructions for the attack. "I want whoever is attending that event to leave, to leave either dead or injured," Mohamud says.

Nov. 18: The operatives and Mohamud drive from Corvallis to Portland to scout the area and identify a spot Mohamud thought would inflict the most casualties.

Nov. 26: The FBI operatives show Mohamud an inert bomb in the back of a van. Mohamud says it is "beautiful." At 4:45 p.m. they leave a Portland hotel and drive the van to a parking spot designated by Mohamud. From a different location, Mohamud twice tries to detonate the inert device by dialing a cell phone. Agents arrest him

Source: Criminal complaint filed Friday by FBI Special Agent Ryan Dwyer

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 05:35 pm
@boomerang,
I am getting the impression that this 19 year old did not know how to make a garden variety IED, much less a "weapon of mass destruction". I also think that he neither knew where to find a bomb maker nor a bomb nor had he the funds to pay for either. It is a very long stretch to claim that without the FBI he had any ability to do harm.

Quote:
Mohamud gives the agents a thumb drive with maps and instructions for the attack
that would be a mapquest printout of downtown Portland and the instructions of "drive bomb to Pioneer Square, park, get out and walk 6 block, detonate bomb with cell phone" Considering that he was to have the bomb delivered to him ready to go in a van, what planning was required? This guy was little more than a driver and a button pusher.

I think that the more we look into the words that the agents of the state use the less impressive the truth of the facts will be.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 05:36 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
No, you didn't make that very clear at all, but thanks for making that explicit now.

In post #4431134 I said "they could have charged the guy long before the mock terrorist attack scenario took place."

Quote:
By helping Mohamud "dig his own grave," so to speak, the government wasn't being "complicit" in the crime. After all, the government lacked any intent to commit the crime -- indeed, it was actively working to prevent the crime.

I don't think legal impropriety has taken place and have also already made that clear (Edit: but I would agree that my colloquial use of "complicit" is not). My position is that the government over-engineered this sting and let it go much further than necessary by providing logistical opportunity, even if it was fake. But, yes, this is not legal "complicity" to any crime.

Quote:
Mohamud, on the other hand, willingly took each additional step forward toward furthering the plan -- you yourself admit there was no entrapment here.

Yes, I "admit" (it's not a confession or even a concession Joe, it's my original position that you twisted into an appeal to "stand by") that the government did not break any laws in doing what they did.

Quote:
Let's say that the plan to explode the bomb in Portland consisted of steps 1, 2, 3, and 4. The steps are sequential, and at each step Mohamud could have stopped and said "I won't go any further." In addition, at each step the government could have stopped and arrested Mohamud, although the crimes increase in magnitude at each step, so that step 1 would be of a lesser magnitude than step 2 and so on. Now, if Mohamud was willing to go all the way from step 1 to step 4, why is the government morally obligated to stop him at step 1?

I never said anything about any "obligation" moral or otherwise that the government has, this is wording you introduced to the thread. That might be hawkeye's point but I haven't used any moral absolutism here and have only called it "dubious" morally.

I don't think the government has any legal or moral obligation to not hand its citizens a rope to hang themselves but I find the degree to which the government helped provide opportunity to be untoward. They had a strong enough case to act against him without providing fake supplies for the bomb plot. Though it would have been a lesser crime it would have served the purpose of deterrence and involved less provision of opportunity on the government's part.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
In post #4431134 I said "they could have charged the guy long before the mock terrorist attack scenario took place."

"Could" isn't "should."

Robert Gentel wrote:
I don't think legal impropriety has taken place and have also already made that clear (Edit: but I would agree that my colloquial use of "complicit" is not). My position is that the government over-engineered this sting and let it go much further than necessary by providing logistical opportunity, even if it was fake. But, yes, this is not legal "complicity" to any crime.

Well then what is your problem? If the government didn't entrap the guy, and it wasn't complicit in his crimes, then what exactly did it do that was so wrong?

Robert Gentel wrote:
Yes, I "admit" (it's not a confession or even a concession Joe, it's my original position that you twisted into an appeal to "stand by") that the government did not break any laws in doing what they did.

Oh please. You admitted it. That's not some kind of "gotcha," it's just a plain fact. Quit trying to construe everything I write as some kind of nefarious plot to twist your words and make you out to be a hypocrite. It just makes you look like a paranoid crybaby.

Robert Gentel wrote:
I never said anything about any "obligation" moral or otherwise that the government has, this is wording you introduced to the thread. That might be hawkeye's point but I haven't used any moral absolutism here and have only called it "dubious" morally.

You said: "I agree with those who question its moral legitimacy." If you were talking about morality, then you were necessarily talking about obligations, since there are no morals if there are no obligations to be moral. On the other hand, if you were questioning the moral legitimacy of the government's actions without talking about morality, then what the hell were you talking about?

Robert Gentel wrote:
I don't think the government has any legal or moral obligation to not hand its citizens a rope to hang themselves but I find the degree to which the government helped provide opportunity to be untoward. They had a strong enough case to act against him without providing fake supplies for the bomb plot. Though it would have been a lesser crime it would have served the purpose of deterrence and involved less provision of opportunity on the government's part.

Untoward? What does that mean in this context?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 10:55 am
I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I think there's a significant line that is crossed when someone actually pushes a button that they think will kill people.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 11:17 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
But I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know when a guilty mind is enough to convict someone in the absence of a guilty act.

A "guilty mind" is never enough without an act. There must be both mens rea and an actus reus.
BillRM

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 11:51 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I think there's a significant line that is crossed when someone actually pushes a button that they think will kill people.

And why did the government need to take it that far?

They could had cheerfully arrested him a year of so before so this is all PR silliness that should never be mixed up with law enforcement in my opinion at least.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 12:11 pm
@BillRM,
Because there's a difference between someone who thinks they would like to kill people, and someone who actually attempts to kill people.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 12:18 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Because there's a difference between someone who thinks they would like to kill people, and someone who actually attempts to kill people
no doubt, but what is the justification for running up the charges? Why not arrest him on a conspiracy charge a year ago, get him off the streets and in jail for a couple of years, and give the shrinks a chance to fix him? Where is the public benefit for investing a year into building a more substantial charge? I think that the public has been ill served, because a citizen has been abused, a life is probably beyond fixing now, plus we will likely end up paying to warehouse him in prison for life.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 01:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
I can think of several reasons, actually. To name a few: to make a stronger case, to give our counter-terrorist agents more experience, and, perhaps the most compelling, to make sure the dumbass is actually working alone.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 01:25 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
to make sure the dumbass is actually working alone.
this was never a matter of doubt, they knew that he was trying to hook up with somebody but had not. Was he ever going to find a cell that wanted him? I dont think so. It would be good to hear from an expert, as I dont dont know that the terrorists want 18-19 year olds. My impression is that they want people who are older, more reliable in their sustainable hatred for the West, mid twenties at least.
roger

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 01:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
Nice theory, but it fails to account for a whole raft of suicide bombers in the Middle East. A tool is a tool.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 01:46 pm
@roger,
Quote:

Nice theory, but it fails to account for a whole raft of suicide bombers in the Middle East. A tool is a tool
you must have missed the part where this guy not only had no plans to kill himself, but also had elaborate plans to leave the country in order to stay safe. He was never going to be a suicide bomber, so the fact that in the middle east suicide bombers are sometimes as young as 14 YO is not justification for the FBI's behaviour in this case.
roger

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 01:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, here is what you missed.

Quote:
My impression is that they want people who are older, more reliable in their sustainable hatred for the West, mid twenties at least.

When you wrote "they" you had to be speaking of more than one specific instance. When you wrote "people", do you really intend for us to understand that "people" speaks of one person and one instance?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 02:05 pm
@roger,
Quote:
When you wrote "they" you had to be speaking of more than one specific instance. When you wrote "people", do you really intend for us to understand that "people" speaks of one person and one instance?
"they" refers to ongoing terrorist organizations, and given that this guy was trying to hook up with such an organization and that he claimed that he could not launch an attack by himself which is a credible assertion as he seems a fool .....if the terrorists organizations never took this guy in he was never going to be a threat. The likelihood or unlikelihood that he would ever find assistance should have gone into the risk assessment. If such an assessment turned out low, as I suspect that it should have, investing the time to trump up the charge as well as the making a PR event to claim that he is a big risk was not in the best interests of the people and thus was not a worthy endeavor for our government.