Judges NOT looking out for our children!!

goodfielder

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:24 pm
It IS an interesting thread. I'm finding it very informative.

I am biting my lip, or keyboard or whatever the appropriate metaphor is, because I suspect the English and Australian authorities on attempt may differ materially from the American authorities and I don't want to muddy the waters...........as well as that I'm not sure I even understand our authorities on attempts Embarrassed (So if I lose the control of my keyboard I will study up first Very Happy )
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 06:03 am
Debra_Law: I will take your inability to stick to the subject as a tacit concession on your part.

Thomas: Your question deserves a detailed reply. Unfortunately, I may not have the time to give one until much later. I will attempt to provide a reply when I have sufficient time.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:27 pm
Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Factual impossibility is never a defense.

Is that true? I have no basis for disagreeing, really, but this point seems strange to me.

I'll quote from Commonwealth v. Henley:
    Impossibility defenses were usually classified as either legal or factual in nature. "Factual impossibility denotes conduct where the objective is proscribed by the criminal law but a circumstance unknown to the actor prevents him from bringing it about. The classic example is the thief who picks an empty pocket." Legal impossibility was said to occur where the intended acts would not amount to a crime even if completed. A frequently cited case standing for this proposition is People v. Jaffe, 185 N.Y. 497, 78 N.E. 169 (1906). The Jaffe Court held that where an element of the completed crime required the goods be stolen, the fact that the goods were not stolen was a defense to the completed act. Consequently, an attempt to do an act which would not be criminal if completed could not itself be criminal regardless of the actor's intent.
So, for instance, if Shooter fires a rifle at Target, intending to kill him, but, unknown to Shooter, the rifle is loaded with blanks instead of bullets, then Shooter can still be charged with attempted murder.

In contrast (to give a familiar law school hypothetical), suppose Traveler decides to smuggle French lace into the country, thinking that there is an import duty on French lace. Traveler, however, is mistaken, and French lace may actually be imported freely into the country. That would constitute legal impossibility rather than factual impossibility, since even if Traveler completed the act as intended it still would not have been illegal (on the other hand, if French lace was subject to an import duty but Traveler mistakenly bought domestic lace not subject to a duty, then that would constitute factual impossibility -- see this discussion).

Thomas wrote:
To make up an extreme but illustrative example, say Alice hates Bob and wants to kill him. Because she is a devoted practitioner of voodoo, her method of choice is to take a voodoo doll representing Bob and sticking needles into it. Her sister Clara, who also believes in voodoo, catches her in the act and sues her for attempted murder, or attempted manslaughter, or attempted whatever Alice's crime would be if voodoo needles actually worked.

Based on these facts, would an American court find Alice guilty? By your argument, the answer appears to be yes -- but intuitively it just doesn't feel right to me.

In a jurisdiction that recognized legal impossibility as a defense, I think Alice would be acquitted of attempted murder. Most US jurisdictions, however, do not recognize legal impossibility, which means that, in those jurisdictions, Alice could be charged with attempted murder. Of course, it would be extremely unlikely that a prosecutor would actually bring charges in this case, but theoretically it's possible.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:59 am
joefromchicago wrote:
In a jurisdiction that recognized legal impossibility as a defense, I think Alice would be acquitted of attempted murder. Most US jurisdictions, however, do not recognize legal impossibility, which means that, in those jurisdictions, Alice could be charged with attempted murder.

I assume you meant factual impossibility here? It's factually impossible for Alice to kill Bob with voodoo, but legally possible to murder him by killing. Do American courts reject legal impossibility as a defense too, or just factual impossibility?

joefromchicago wrote:
Of course, it would be extremely unlikely that a prosecutor would actually bring charges in this case, but theoretically it's possible.

Now it makes more sense. I forgot the prosecutor is part of the law. (Which is embarrassing -- I usually accuse others of forgetting that.)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 08:21 am
Thomas wrote:
I assume you meant factual impossibility here?

No, I meant "legal impossibility."

Thomas wrote:
It's factually impossible for Alice to kill Bob with voodoo, but legally possible to murder him by killing.

No, that's not the distinction. "Factual impossibility," in essence, means that the defendant would have committed a crime if the facts were as he believed them to be. So the thief who reaches his hand into an empty pocket is guilty of attempted theft, even though it is impossible to steal something that isn't there, because it would have been theft if the circumstances had been as the thief believed them to be (i.e. a pocket filled with money rather than with nothing).

"Legal impossibility," on the other hand, means that the completed act would not have been illegal, even if it is carried out as intended. So the traveler who conceals domestic lace, thinking that he is really smuggling foreign lace, is not guilty of attempted smuggling because the act of bringing domestic lace into its country of origin does not constitute smuggling. In the case of voodoo Alice, we can say that pushing pins into a doll is not a criminal act, so Alice cannot be guilty of attempted murder even if she completed the act as she intended (it might be helpful to follow Canadian courts, which apparently call cases of legal impossibility "attempts to commit imaginary crimes" -- see United States v. Dynar).

In the case of a defendant accused of attempting to entice a minor into a sexual relationship, where the "minor" is actually an adult police officer, the courts have uniformly held that this is an instance of factual impossibility, not legal impossibility. It is a factual circumstance unknown to the defendant (i.e. the non-existance of the targeted minor) that makes the completion of the crime impossible. See, e.g. Chen v. State.

It should be noted, however, that the lines between factual and legal impossibility are often blurred. In my smuggling hypothetical, one could argue that it is really a case of factual impossibility (the domestic lace concealed in the luggage being the equivalent of the blanks loaded in the shooter's rifle) rather than legal impossibility. Because it is so difficult to distinguish between legal and factual impossibility, many courts and state legislatures have simply abandoned the distinction. As was stated in US v. Farner:
    The distinction between factual and legal impossibility is elusive at best. See, e.g., United States v. Everett, 700 F.2d 900, 905 (3rd Cir. 1983) (stating that the doctrine has become a "source of utter frustration" and a "morass of confusion"). Most federal courts have repudiated the distinction or have at least openly questioned its usefulness.

Thomas wrote:
Do American courts reject legal impossibility as a defense too, or just factual impossibility?

No court recognizes factual impossibility as a defense. As noted above, many courts have also rejected legal impossibility, although some courts still maintain the distinction.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 08:35 am
I'm still confused. On the one hand, as you say, "the traveler who conceals domestic lace, thinking that he is really smuggling foreign lace, is not guilty of attempted smuggling because the act of bringing domestic lace into its country of origin does not constitute smuggling." On the other hand, "as noted above, many courts have also rejected legal impossibility." In those courts, what would the traveller be found guilty of, if it's not attempted smuggling?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 08:41 am
Thomas wrote:
I'm still confused. On the one hand, as you say, "the traveler who conceals domestic lace, thinking that he is really smuggling foreign lace, is not guilty of attempted smuggling because the act of bringing domestic lace into its country of origin does not constitute smuggling." On the other hand, "as noted above, many courts have also rejected legal impossibility." In those courts, what would the traveller be found guilty of, if it's not attempted smuggling?

Let me amend my remarks to remove the confusion: "the traveler who conceals domestic lace, thinking that he is really smuggling foreign lace, is not guilty of attempted smuggling because the act of bringing domestic lace into its country of origin does not constitute smuggling in a jurisdiction that recognizes legal impossibility as a defense." In a jurisdiction that does not recognize legal impossibility as a defense, the traveler could theoretically be charged with attempted smuggling.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:00 am
Okay, now I get it. Thanks a lot, this is interesting. Not strictly relevant to the original problem of the thread, because in the online enticement case the impossibility was clearly factual, but very interesting.

To me, the distinction still seems to make a lot of sense. After all, the purpose of the law is to deter actual crimes. Considered before the act, attempting a crime creates a probability that a crime will actually be committed, even if it turns out after the act that the attempted crime was factually impossible. By contrast, attempting a non-crime does not create such a possibility. But I can understand that courts would trade off the benefits of this distinction for increased efficiency of trials.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 02:37 pm
goodfielder: Australian law on the impossibility defense seems to be even more confused than it is in the US, as this law school outline points out. In Victoria, at least, the defense of factual impossibility appears to have been eliminated by statute.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:52 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
goodfielder: Australian law on the impossibility defense seems to be even more confused than it is in the US, as this law school outline points out. In Victoria, at least, the defense of factual impossibility appears to have been eliminated by statute.

Thank you for the link joe, I will study that closely in hard copy. Yes it's confused for sure. Just reading that piece brought me out into a cold sweat Very Happy

I shall do a bit more reading and see if I can explain the situation in my own jurisdiction, not that it's crucial to the debate but it may be of interest.

I saw a reference to the Model Criminal Code of Australia. That's an interesting project which has been going for some years and is an effort to try and get some standardisation across Australia when it comes to criminal law. It's an almost impossible task but there has been some great work done on it.

http://www.aic.gov.au/links/mcc.html
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 01:11 pm
U.S. v. Helder
Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals decision:

http://www.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/06/06/053387P.pdf

Quote:
Jan P. Helder, Jr. was charged with using a facility of interstate commerce, the Internet, to attempt to entice a minor to engage in illegal sexual activity, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 2422(b). The district court granted Helder's motion for judgment of acquittal. The government appeals, arguing that the district court erred by granting Helder's motion for judgment of acquittal because § 2422(b) does not require the
intended victim to be an actual minor. We reverse.

A review of the decision and the law of criminal attempt discloses several constitutional defects in the prosecution of the defendant in this case.

Strong arguments can be made that:

1) The statute is constitutionally void for vagueness because it fails to provide notice of the elements of the crime of attempt and because it fails to provide courts with clearly defined standards for applying the law.

2) The federal court, in adopting the Model Penal Code (MPC) definition of criminal attempt, violated the constitutional separation of powers doctrine and usurped the power of the legislative branch to define crimes. The people of this country did not elect the American Law Institute (ALI) or the drafters of the MPC to make public policy decisions and to define crimes. The legislative branch's power to define crimes (to set forth the essential elements that constitute a crime) reflects the public policy decisions of our elected representatives in Congress and this power/duty cannot be delegated to the the ALI or the judicial branch.

3) If the common law definition of the crime of attempt is applied to this case--rather than the MPC definition--then the evidence was insufficient as a matter of law to prove the overt act (CONDUCT) element of the offense. It cannot be proved that the defendant's conduct came dangerously close to the commission of the actual crime.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 03:26 pm
Uniform Laws and Model Acts

http://library.law.smu.edu/resguide/ula.htm

Quote:
The National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws (http://www.nccusl.org/) has been involved in legislative reform activity since 1892, proposing and enacting uniform laws in those areas in which uniformity would be beneficial. Representatives from each state—lawyers, judges, scholars, and government officials—serve as commissioners and meet annually to promulgate and promote uniform laws. Each state can adopt a uniform law as proposed, modify it, or reject it. The National Conference also proposes and promulgates model acts and court rules.

Legislatures are encouraged to adopt uniform acts exactly as written to promote uniformity in law among the several states. Model acts, in comparison, are intended to serve as guideline legislation which states can borrow from or adapt to suit their respective situations. Uniform laws and model acts do not have any legal effect in a state unless actually adopted by the state’s legislature. When adopted, they appear in the state’s session laws and statutes....

MODEL ACTS

Model acts are designated as such if it is unlikely that the entire act will be uniformly adopted, but the drafters have an expectation that individual states are likely to adopt, or modify and adopt, parts of the act. The National Conference has drafted some model acts, but two of the more influential model acts were developed by the American Law Institute: the Model Penal Code and the Model Business Corporation Act....

Uniform laws and model acts are debated and devised by PRIVATE organizations--not by GOVERNMENT organizations--and offered as proposed statutes for elected legislative bodies to consider and pass (adopt) or reject in whole or in part. A criminal code reflects the policy decisions of the people's elected representatives in the legislative branch. The judicial branch of the government does not have the power to adopt uniform laws and model acts.

But, see the following:

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Appellee, FRANCIS CROWLEY,Defendant-Appellant, 2003 U.S. App. LEXIS 1694,*;318 F.3d 401; 60 Fed. R. Evid. Serv. (Callaghan) 553.

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE SECOND CIRCUIT

Quote:
... To establish an intent to commit an offense, the government must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant "(1) had the intent to commit the crime, and (2) engaged in conduct amounting to a 'substantial step' towards the commission of the crime." United States v. Rosa, 11 F.3d 315, 337 (2d Cir. 1993) (quoting United States v. Martinez, 775 F.2d 31, 35 (2d Cir. 1985)) (internal quotation marks omitted)....

A. Substantial Step

Taking the issues in reverse order, assuming it was proved that Crowley intended to forcibly penetrate Vincent, there is no question whatsoever that he engaged in a substantial step toward completing that crime. The substantial step standard, which has been adopted by this Court as the test for the wrongful act element of federal attempt crimes, United States v. Stallworth, 543 F.2d 1038, 1040-41 (2d Cir. 1976), derives from the American Law Institute's Model Penal Code, where it represented the code drafters' "proposed solution of the problem of framing criteria to determine when the actor has progressed sufficiently toward his criminal objective to have committed an attempt." Model Penal Code § 5.01 cmt. 6, at 329 (1985).

The problem faced by the drafters was that to punish as an attempt every act done to further a criminal purpose, no matter how remote from accomplishing harm, risks punishing individuals for their thoughts alone, before they have committed any act that is dangerous or [*13] harmful; yet, if the law punished only the very last act necessary to accomplish the criminal result, legal intervention would be delayed to a point at which it may well be too late to prevent harm. The Model Penal Code test "was designed to widen the ambit of attempt liability" beyond the confusing and conflicting tests developed by common law courts, which generally set the dividing line between criminal attempts and mere preparatory conduct at the point where an actor came dangerously close to the completion of the crime. United States v. Ivic, 700 F.2d 51, 66 (2d Cir. 1983) (Friendly, J.), overruled on other grounds, National Org. for Women, Inc. v. Scheidler, 510 U.S. 249, 127 L. Ed. 2d 99, 114 S. Ct. 798 (1983). As this Court has defined it, "[a] substantial step must be something more than mere preparation, yet may be less than the last act necessary before the actual commission of the substantive crime." United States v. Manley, 632 F.2d 978, 987 (2d Cir. 1980)....

Case available online at:
http://www.lexisone.com/

NOTE: The COURT, not the CONGRESS, adopted the MPC definition of attempt in order to effectuate a public policy decision and weaken the overt act (conduct) element of the criminal attempt--the essential element that required that the overt act come dangerously close to the actual commission of the underlying substantive offense before the defendant was held criminally liable--in order to make it easier for the prosecution to obtain a conviction. It is not within the power of our courts to define the elements of a crime--that power belongs exclusively to the legislative branch.

The Eighth Circuit also adopted the MPC "substantial step" definition of the overt act essential element of the crime of attempt. See the Helder decision (link above) wherein the Court applied the MPC "substantial step" element and U.S. v. Bird, 372 F.3d 989 (8th Cir. 2004):

Quote:
... our cases have frequently adopted the Model Penal Code's approach to the law of attempt, under which there must be an intent to commit the predicate crime and a "substantial step" toward its commission. See United States v. Joyce, 693 F.2d 838, 841 (8th Cir. 1982); see also Model Penal Code § 5.01 (1985)....

Case available for review at http://www.lexisone.com/

This case discusses the difference between the common law definition of attempt and the MPC definition of attempt:

COMMONWEALTH vs. JERRY HAMEL:

Quote:
3. Doctrine of criminal attempt. The Massachusetts law of criminal attempt harks back to Justice Holmes. Holmes tried to give to "external" or "objective" standards a controlling force in criminal law (as well as in the law of torts).(7) There were some conventional offenses, however, where guilt was explicitly made dependent on certain personal intentions of the accused. Criminal attempts were in this class. Holmes reconciled his external-standards thesis to this condition, as his biographer Professor Howe observed, by propounding "that the law's occasional concern for the actual intent which motivated conduct was not the reflection of its disapproval of a sinful mind but of its recognition that the probability of injury is increased when the offender intends to do harm."(8) The law must be careful not to overplay the role of intention in such an inchoate crime as attempt, lest the result be precisely to punish the mere possession of a sinful mind. The consequence of Holmes's line of reasoning, as developed in The Common Law 65-70 (1881), and his opinions in Commonwealth v. Kennedy, 170 Mass. 18 (1887), and Commonwealth v. Peaslee, 177 Mass. 267 (1901),(9) was that in the duality of intention and overt act that is the heft of the crime of attempt, what the actor in fact did toward fulfilling the intention must have been dangerously close to the consummation of the object crime to serve as the crucial overt act. Holmes summed up the matter thus in the last of his three opinions discussing criminal attempts: "An attempt, in the strictest sense, is an act expected to bring about a substantive wrong by the forces of nature. With it is classed the kindred offence where the act and the natural conditions present or supposed to be present are not enough to do the harm without a further act, but where it is so near to the result that if coupled with an intent to produce that result, the danger is very great." Holmes, J., dissenting in Hyde v. United States, 225 U.S. 347, 387 (1912) (contrasting criminal attempt with conspiracy).

Holmes's view concentrates attention on the distance or gap between the defendant's actions and the (unachieved) goal of the consummated crime -- the distance must be relatively short, the gap narrow, if the defendant is to be held guilty of a criminal attempt.(10)

Overall, Holmes is concerned with the dangerousness of the actor's conduct as the key to criminal attempt. There is a contrasting position, adopted by the Model Penal Code, that the criterion should be the actor's dangerousness, his disposition to commit a crime.(11) But as the dangerousness of an individual who tries to commit a crime but does not succeed, equates or nearly so with the dangerousness of one who succeeds, the Code abandons a proximity-of-conduct standard and accepts less stringent signs of personal dangerousness to ground convictions for criminal attempt. So the Code dwells on what the actor did toward attaining the substantive offense rather than on what he had yet to do: the law should look to a "substantial step in a course of conduct planned to culminate in [the] commission of the crime," which step was "strongly corroborative of the actor's criminal purpose." Model Penal Code and Commentaries § 5.01(1)(c) & 2), Criminal Attempt (1985). The Code thus tends to broaden the base of criminal attempt, to make convictions easier to reach.

The Code formula for criminal attempt, or an approach thereto, has been adopted by legislation in a number of States.(12) A change veering in the direction of the Code was proposed for the Commonwealth in 1972,(13) but, as noted in the attempt case, Commonwealth v. Ortiz, 408 Mass. 463, 472 (1990), the Legislature has not acted.(14)

The MPC adoption of the "substantial step that corroborates the accused's intent" element of the crime of attempt, and its rejection of the "overt act (conduct) that comes dangerously to the actual commission of the substantive offense," reflects a policy choice to focus on the accused's state of mind rather than his conduct. However, the drafters of the MPC do not have the power to make that policy choice for us--only our elected representives in our state legislatures or in Congress have the power to make that policy choice. Although the MPC definition of attempt has been adopted by the LEGISLATURES of several states, the MPC definition of attempt has NEVER been adopted by CONGRESS.

In a 1964 Oklahoma case, the criminal court of appeals recognized that the defendant's alleged criminal conduct (an alleged attempt to commit a theft) could not, as a matter of law, come dangerously close to receiving stolen property when the property was not stolen. Booth v. State, 398 P.2d 863 (Okl. Cr. 1964) If the state desired to penalize the defendant's belief that the property was stolen, the state would have to amend its criminal attempt statute. The criminal court of appeals suggested that the LEGISLATURE adopt the language found in the model penal code. The criminal court did not usurp the legislature's power to define crimes and properly left the policy choice to the people's elected representatives. In 1965, the Oklahoma legislature, publicly debated the issue and ultimatedly amended its criminal attempt statute to adopt the language of the MPC with some variation.

The MPC language with respect to the law of criminal attempt is a mere proposal that an elected legislative body may adopt or reject, in whole or in part. It is a policy decision to be made by the legislative branch with respect to the definition of crimes and their essential elements. The judicial branch is not endowed with legislative power and it violates the constitutional doctrine of separation of powers for any court to usurp legislative functions.

"[N]o federal crime can exist except by force of statute." MORISSETTE v. UNITED STATES, 342 U.S. 246 (1952). Inasmuch as Congress has NOT adopted the language of model penal code, our federal courts must resort to the usual method of statutory construction when Congress enacts a statute and makes it a crime for an individual to commit certain acts or "attempt" to do so. The Supreme Court has stated the following:

Quote:
The spirit of the doctrine which denies to the federal judiciary power to create crimes forthrightly admonishes that we should not enlarge the reach of enacted crimes by constituting them from anything less than the incriminating components contemplated by the words used in the statute. And where Congress borrows terms of art in which are accumulated the legal tradition and meaning of centuries of practice, it presumably knows and adopts the cluster of ideas that were attached to each borrowed word in the body of learning from which it was taken and the meaning its use will convey to the judicial mind unless otherwise instructed. In such case, absence of contrary direction may be taken as satisfaction with widely accepted definitions, not as a departure from them.

MORISSETTE v. UNITED STATES, 342 U.S. 246, 263 (1952).

Undeniably, the language of the MPC with respect to defining the elements of criminal attempt enlarges the reach of conduct that is subject to criminal liability. Our federal courts are without power to enlarge the crime of attempt beyond its common law components (through judicial adoption of the MPC). If the incriminating components of the crime of attempt are to be enlarged, then CONGRESS must expressly direct the courts through the enactment of a statute that provides a new definition of the crime. In other words, it is a policy choice for CONGRESS (our elected representatives) to make--not the courts--whether the MPC definition of attempt shall be adopted or rejected.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 03:37 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
U.S. v. Helder
Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals decision:

http://www.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/06/06/053387P.pdf

Quote:
Jan P. Helder, Jr. was charged with using a facility of interstate commerce, the Internet, to attempt to entice a minor to engage in illegal sexual activity, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 2422(b). The district court granted Helder's motion for judgment of acquittal. The government appeals, arguing that the district court erred by granting Helder's motion for judgment of acquittal because § 2422(b) does not require the
intended victim to be an actual minor. We reverse.

A concise, well-reasoned, and thoroughly correct decision.

Debra_Law wrote:
A review of the decision and the law of criminal attempt discloses several constitutional defects in the prosecution of the defendant in this case.

Strong arguments can be made that:

1) The statute is constitutionally void for vagueness because it fails to provide notice of the elements of the crime of attempt and because it fails to provide courts with clearly defined standards for applying the law.

The elements of a crime under Section 2422 are plainly set forth in the statute, and were summarized in the court's opinion:
    [A] person must "knowingly" (1) actually or attempt to (2) persuade, induce, entice, or coerce (3) a person under 18 years of age (4) to engage in sexual activity that would constitute a criminal offense.

What's vague about that?

Debra_Law wrote:
2) The federal court, in adopting the Model Penal Code (MPC) definition of criminal attempt, violated the constitutional separation of powers doctrine and usurped the power of the legislative branch to define crimes. The people of this country did not elect the American Law Institute (ALI) or the drafters of the MPC to make public policy decisions and to define crimes. The legislative branch's power to define crimes (to set forth the essential elements that constitute a crime) reflects the public policy decisions of our elected representatives in Congress and this power/duty cannot be delegated to the the ALI or the judicial branch.

I see no reference to the MPC in the opinion. But even if the court cited it, so what? If congress makes it illegal to attempt to violate section 2422, and if congress did not choose to define "attempt" in the act itself, then the court is free to interpret the term in a manner consistent with the purpose of the statute. That's not judicial lawmaking.

Debra_Law wrote:
3) If the common law definition of the crime of attempt is applied to this case--rather than the MPC definition--then the evidence was insufficient as a matter of law to prove the overt act (CONDUCT) element of the offense. It cannot be proved that the defendant's conduct came dangerously close to the commission of the actual crime.

You continue to use a "came dangerously close to the commission of the actual crime" standard despite the court's own ruling which holds that the government must show only that: (1) the defendant "acted with the kind of culpability otherwise required for the commission of the underlying offense;" and (2) "the defendant engaged in conduct which constitutes a substantial step toward the commission of the crime." There is no requirement, under the common law or the MPC or anywhere else for that matter (except maybe in antitrust law), where "coming dangerously close to the commission of the actual crime" is the legal criterion for an "attempt."
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:50 pm
Paraphrased from Findlaw:

VOID FOR VAGUENESS DOCTRINE

A statute runs afoul of our constitutional guarantee of due process if the statute:

1. fails to give adequate guidance to those who would be law-abiding,

2. fails to advise defendants of the nature of the offense with which they are charged, or

3. fails to guide courts in trying those who are accused.

Acts which are made criminal ''must be defined with appropriate definiteness.'' Cantwell v. Connecticut, 310 U.S. 296, 308 (1940).

''There must be ascertainable standards of guilt. Men of common intelligence cannot be required to guess at the meaning of the enactment. The vagueness may be from uncertainty in regard to persons within the scope of the act . . . or in regard to the applicable tests to ascertain guilt.'' Winters v. New York, 333 U.S. 507, 515 -16 (1948). Cf. Colten v. Kentucky, 407 U.S. 104, 110 (1972).

The statute:

Whoever, using the mail or any facility or means of interstate or foreign commerce, or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States knowingly persuades, induces, entices, or coerces any individual who has not attained the age of 18 years, to engage in prostitution or any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title and imprisoned not less than 5 years and not more than 30 years.

18 U.S.C. § 2422(b).

Attempt is an inchoate (incomplete) crime. The essential elements of the incompleted crime of attempt are

1) mens rea: specific intent to commit the underlying substantive offense and
2) actus reus: overt act.

What is the applicable test to determine the sufficiency of the conduct (actus reus) necessary to subject the accused to criminal liability?

Remember, the law regulates CONDUCT. In order for conduct to be subject to criminal liability, there must be a "guilty act."

Let's briefly examine CONDUCT though the example of receiving property:

The act (conduct) of receiving (e.g., by purchase) property is not a criminal act in and of itself. People buy and sell property every day in this country.

The act (conduct) of receiving STOLEN property is the kind of conduct that the law may seek to prohibit.

The law might make it a criminal offense for any person to receive STOLEN property. To establish that the person is guilty, the government would have to prove 1) that the accused received the property; and 2) that the property was stolen. Accordingly, the act of receiving property would not be a crime as a matter of law if the property was not stolen.

However, it has been traditionally recognized that some harmful conduct is simply more "blameworthy" than other conduct based on the mental state of the accused. Accordingly, crimes are often defined to include a "bad intent" element. Thus (with the exception of strict liability crimes), the law prohibits harmful CONDUCT, but the individual who engages in that prohibited harmful conduct must be blameworthy before that individual is subjected to penalties for his conduct. We cannot lose sight of the critical fact that our criminal law seeks to prohibit harmful CONDUCT (the actus reus), and the mens rea element of a crime serves merely to ascertain the blameworthiness of the accused who engages in the prohibited harmful conduct. A guilty mind unassociated with a guilty act is not liable to criminal punishment.

At common law, it was recognized that CONDUCT that came dangerously close to the commission of the prohibited wrong engaged in by a person with specific intent to commit the prohibited wrong should be punished--but punished less severely than the completed crime. At common law, a criminal attempt was a misdemeanor. But, for an individual to be subject to criminal liability, his conduct was required to come dangerously close to the actual commission of the offense. Although someone's sinful mind might be morally reprehensible, the law does not regulate or punish individual thoughts or beliefs--it regulates and punished prohibited CONDUCT. Again, that conduct must come dangerously close to the commission of the underlying substantive offense before the law would punish that conduct.

At all times, the law focused on the individual's conduct.

However, the model penal code attempts to shift the focus from the actor's conduct to the actor's mind. Even if the actor's conduct when complete would not constitute a crime (e.g., buying property that is NOT STOLEN is not a crime) and therefore could not be punished as an attempt at common law, the MPC seeks to punish the actor's sinful mind and beliefs. Accordingly, under the model penal code, if the actor believes the property is stolen even if it's not stolen when he buys it--he is guilty of a crime. The MPC's test to ascertain guilt merely requires a "substantial step" that CORROBORATES the actor's guilty mind. (This brings into issue the 8th Amendment prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment because it is clearly unconstitutional to punish an individual for his bad intent or beliefs rather than for engaging in prohibited conduct).

BUT, the MODEL PENAL CODE is not the law of the land. It is a proposed law that the ALI drafted and one that a legislature may adopt or reject in whole or in part.

At common law, the applicable test to determine whether the actor is subject to criminal liability for an attempt is the dangerous-proximity test that focuses on conduct that comes dangerously close to the commission of the substantive offense. Under the MPC, the applicable test to determine whether the actor is subject to criminal liability is the substantial step test that focuses on corroboration of the actor's the evil mind. The MPC greatly expands the criminal liability for attempts.

What test do we apply to ascertain guilt? Under Supreme Court precedent, the courts are required to apply the common law test unless otherwise directed by CONGRESS. However, our federal courts are applying the MPC test that the courts unilaterally adopted. Accordingly, the law fails to guide courts in trying those who are accused. If the Courts are free to pick and choose what standard they will apply--maybe the C/L standard; maybe the MPC standard (that was never enacted into law)--then it is apparent that federal statutes that criminalize attempts fail to provide ascertainable standards of guilt and CONGRESS may not delegate the duty to establish standards of guilt to our courts.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:20 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

There is no requirement, under the common law or the MPC or anywhere else for that matter (except maybe in antitrust law), where "coming dangerously close to the commission of the actual crime" is the legal criterion for an "attempt."

Joe:

The common law clearly required that the critical overt act come dangerously close to the commission of the actual crime before the actor could be held criminally liable for attempt. It's called the "dangerous proximity" test and is found on all law school criminal law outlines. It's in virtually all the cases applying the common law to criminal attempt.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 09:23 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
At common law, it was recognized that CONDUCT that came dangerously close to the commission of the prohibited wrong engaged in by a person with specific intent to commit the prohibited wrong should be punished--but punished less severely than the completed crime. At common law, a criminal attempt was a misdemeanor. But, for an individual to be subject to criminal liability, his conduct was required to come dangerously close to the actual commission of the offense. Although someone's sinful mind might be morally reprehensible, the law does not regulate or punish individual thoughts or beliefs--it regulates and punished prohibited CONDUCT. Again, that conduct must come dangerously close to the commission of the underlying substantive offense before the law would punish that conduct.

How can you set up a "dangerous proximity" standard without reviving the thoroughly discredited factual impossibility defense?

Debra_Law wrote:
However, the model penal code attempts to shift the focus from the actor's conduct to the actor's mind.

No it doesn't. The MPC test requires both mens rea and an actus reus. The MPC test, then, no more concentrates on the defendant's state of mind than does Holmes's "dangerous proximity" test, while, at the same time, not suffering from the flaw of resurrecting the factual impossibility defense.

Debra_Law wrote:
Even if the actor's conduct when complete would not constitute a crime (e.g., buying property that is NOT STOLEN is not a crime) and therefore could not be punished as an attempt at common law, the MPC seeks to punish the actor's sinful mind and beliefs. Accordingly, under the model penal code, if the actor believes the property is stolen even if it's not stolen when he buys it--he is guilty of a crime.

And it has ever been thus.

Debra_Law wrote:
The MPC's test to ascertain guilt merely requires a "substantial step" that CORROBORATES the actor's guilty mind. (This brings into issue the 8th Amendment prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment because it is clearly unconstitutional to punish an individual for his bad intent or beliefs rather than for engaging in prohibited conduct).

Oh please! There would be no eighth amendment implications here, even if you were correct.

Debra_Law wrote:
At common law, the applicable test to determine whether the actor is subject to criminal liability for an attempt is the dangerous-proximity test that focuses on conduct that comes dangerously close to the commission of the substantive offense.

Well, first of all you simply have not made a convincing argument for that point. Historically, there was some divergence of opinion regarding the law of attempts. Secondly, even if the "dangerous proximity" test was the common law test for attempts, the simple response to that is that the common law is judge-made law, and that if judges have switched to the MPC test, then the MPC test is ipso facto the new common law.

Debra_Law wrote:
What test do we apply to ascertain guilt? Under Supreme Court precedent, the courts are required to apply the common law test unless otherwise directed by CONGRESS. However, our federal courts are applying the MPC test that the courts unilaterally adopted.

Courts can create new common law rules. That's how the common law works.

Debra_Law wrote:
The common law clearly required that the critical overt act come dangerously close to the commission of the actual crime before the actor could be held criminally liable for attempt. It's called the "dangerous proximity" test and is found on all law school criminal law outlines. It's in virtually all the cases applying the common law to criminal attempt.

Apart from some quotations from Holmes (including some from a case having very little to do with the law of attempts), I don't see any evidence that the "dangerous proximity" test was universally accepted as the common law test. Furthermore, I do not understand how a "dangerous proximity" test can be squared with the common law's rejection of the factual impossibility defense. If the Helder court followed the "dangerous proximity" test, should it have ruled in favor of the defendant, even though a defendant cannot (and, indeed, never has been able to) plead a defense based upon factual impossibility?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 12:44 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

How can you set up a "dangerous proximity" standard without reviving the thoroughly discredited factual impossibility defense?

We start with the basics of criminal law set forth in Winship: Due process protects the accused against conviction except upon proof beyond a reasonable doubt of EVERY FACT NECESSARY to constitute the crime with which the accused is charged.

The government must prove the essential elements of the crime charged. The essential elements of the crime of attempt are 1) specific intent to commit the underlying substantive crime, and 2) overt act.

The critical overt act element must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. EVIDENCE of the overt act must be sufficient to prove (to allow a rational jury to conclude) that the accused engaged in CONDUCT "very near to the accomplishment" of the attempted offense. People v. Rizzo, 246 N.Y. 334, 158 N.E. 888, 889 (N.Y. 1929). The law of criminal attempt "considers those acts only as tending to the commission of the crime which are so near to its accomplishment that in all reasonable PROBABILITY the crime itself would have been committed but for timely interference." Id.

Under Rule 401, Federal Rules of EVIDENCE, ""Relevant evidence" means evidence having any tendency to make the existence of any fact that is of consequence to the determination of the action more probable or less probable than it would be without the evidence. Rule 402 provides, "All relevant evidence is admissible, except as otherwise provided by the Constitution of the United States, by Act of Congress, by these rules, or by other rules prescribed by the Supreme Court pursuant to statutory authority. Evidence which is not relevant is not admissible."

Certainly, in a prosecution for the crime of attempt, any evidence that shows that the Defendant's conduct did or did not come dangerously close to the accomplishment of the attempted offense is relevant and admissible. There is no existing ACT of CONGRESS or Supreme Court rule that makes evidence of "impossibility" inadmissible to demonstrate the probable existence or nonexistence of an essential element of a crime (e.g., the critical overt act element of the crime of attempt). Although you claim "impossibility" has been "thoroughly discredited" as a defense, you cannot deny that evidence of "impossibility" is relevant and admissible if the evidence tends to make the existence of a essential fact (element) of a crime less probable.

In defining crimes, Congress often uses the word "endeavor" in place of the word "attempt." Although the Supreme Court previously failed to apprehend that the two words are synonymous when it said in dicta that using the word "endeavor" gets rid of the technicalities which might be urged as besetting the word "attempt," see U.S. v. Russell, 255 U.S. 138 (1921), no substitution of a word in a statute can evade the essential purpose of the law to regulate and punish wrongful CONDUCT. Accordingly, the Court later noted that an "endeavor" to commit a crime cannot be punished unless the endeavor has the "natural and probable effect" of bringing about the wrong that the law seeks to prohibit. See United States v. Aguilar, 515 U.S. 593 (1995).

In United States v. Aguilar, the defendant was convicted of endeavoring to obstruct the due administration of justice. The Court examined the relevant evidence admitted at trial to determine whether the evidence was sufficient to sustain the conviction. The Court, citing Pettibone v. United States, 148 U.S. 197 (1893) stated, "a person is not sufficiently charged with obstructing or impeding the due administration of justice in a court UNLESS it appears that he KNEW or had notice that justice was being administered by such court." A person lacking knowledge of a judicial proceeding lacks the evil intent to obstruct. Accordingly, the elements of "endeavoring" to obstruct the due administration of justice are 1) specific intent to obstruct a pending proceeding, and 2) an overt act that has the "natural and probable effect" of obstructing a pending proceeding.

The Court stated:

"We have traditionally exercised RESTRAINT in assessing the REACH of a federal criminal statute, both out of deference to Congress [citation omitted], and out of concern that 'a fair warning should be given to the world in language that the common world will understand, of what the law intends to do IF A CERTAIN LINE is passed.'"

[Note: At common law, evidence of mere preparation to commit a crime was insufficient as a matter of law to constitute a criminal attempt. The CERTAIN LINE, where criminality would attach, was drawn at the point where the conduct came dangerously close to the commission of the actual crime.]

In Aguilar, the Court considered conduct that falls before or after that CERTAIN LINE. If the defendant had delivered his false statement directly to the grand jury, then he would be criminally liable for endeavoring to obstruct justice. However, defendant's conduct fell short of that CERTAIN LINE. Defendant delivered his false statement to a government agent who was not subpoenaed or otherwise directed to appear before the grand jury. It is far too speculative to determine whether his conduct would tend to obstruct justice. The Court stated, "We think it [defendant's conduct] cannot be said to have the 'natural and probable effect' of interfering with thedue administration of justice.

In response to Scalia's dissent, the Court said:

"JUSTICE SCALIA'S dissent criticizes our treatment of the statutory language for reading the word 'endeavor' out of it, inasmuch as it excludes defendants who have an evil purpose but use means that would 'only unnaturally and improbably be sucessful.' This criticism is unwarranted. Our reading of the statute gives the term 'endeavor' a useful function to fulfill: it makes conduct punishable where the defendant acts with an INTENT TO OBSTRUCT justice, in in a manner that is LIKELY TO OBSTRUCT justice, but is foiled in some way."

In other words, the essential overt act element of the crime of "endeavor" (like the overt act element of the crime of attempt) must be an act that will LIKELY (naturally and probably) be successful (e.g., come dangerously close to the actual commission of the prohibited wrong) unless it is foiled in some way. Accordingly, unless the accused KNOWS that an actual pending proceeding--and unless the accused KNOWS that his false statements will in fact be delivered to an actual pending proceeding--it is improbable (impossible) for him to endeavor to obstruct the due administration of justice, and THUS, he is NOT CULPABLE.

I find the Aguilar case to be a PARADOX in many respects--and worthy of considerable discussion--but in final analysis, the fact remains that no matter how hard the legislature or the courts work to GET RID of the "technicalities" that allegedly plague the law of criminal attempt--those "technicalities" were developed at common law for a reason. Fundamental due process and the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishments does not allow the law to penalize an individual's thoughts or beliefs (or status) no matter how morally reprehensible those thoughts or beliefs (or status) may be. The law may only constitutionally prohibit and penalize harmful conduct--and conduct that has no likelihood of causing the harm that the law seeks to prohibit is NOT CULPABLE.

Accordingly, due to fundamental constitutional principles, the PROBABILTY or IMPROBABILITY (and thus POSSIBILITY and IMPOSSIBILITY) of success in committing the intended crime will ALWAYS be admissible evidence that is relevant to the culpability of the accused actor's CONDUCT with respect to the inchoate crime of attempt (and the synonymous inchoate crime of endeavor).

Debra_Law wrote:
However, the model penal code attempts to shift the focus from the actor's conduct to the actor's mind.

Joe wrote:
No it doesn't. The MPC test requires both mens rea and an actus reus. The MPC test, then, no more concentrates on the defendant's state of mind than does Holmes's "dangerous proximity" test, while, at the same time, not suffering from the flaw of resurrecting the factual impossibility defense.

If you research the MPC, its provisions, the drafter's comments, and the cases that apply the language, you will see that it indeed shifts the focus of the law of criminal attempt from the dangerousness of the actor's CONDUCT to the dangerousness of the actor's mind. The law of criminal attempt as proposed by the drafters of the MPC (and as adopted in part by several states) is not interested in punishing culpable conduct (conduct that has passed that CERTAIN LINE as set forth above), but is most interested in punishing persons who are predisposed to commit a crime even if their conduct is not truly culpable.

The MPC defines the "substantial step" element NOT as conduct that is culpable in and of itself because it is harmful (e.g., comes dangerously close to the commission of the actual crime), but rather, the MPC defines "substantial step" as an act that CORROBORATES the actor's evil intent. When a statutory provision requires corroboration, it is not establishing an element of the crime. It is establishing a "sufficiency of the evidence test." In essense or substance, the MPC uses the "substantial step" as a "sufficiency of the evidence test" with respect to the essential element of specific intent. In substance, then, the MPC eliminates the actus reus and the actor is punished solely on the basis of his dangerousness as demonstrated by his GUILTY INTENT.

Debra_Law wrote:
Even if the actor's conduct when complete would not constitute a crime (e.g., buying property that is NOT STOLEN is not a crime) and therefore could not be punished as an attempt at common law, the MPC seeks to punish the actor's sinful mind and beliefs. Accordingly, under the model penal code, if the actor believes the property is stolen even if it's not stolen when he buys it--he is guilty of a crime.

Joe wrote:
And it has ever been thus.

You now appear to be in agreement that the Common Law punishes culpable (dangerous) conduct that is likely to cause harm and refuses to punish conduct that is unlikely to cause harm, whereas the MPC punishes beliefs (located solely in the actor's mind) or evil intent even though it is improbable (or impossible) that any harm will result from his conduct. (The language of the MPC punishes the guilty mind even when there is absolutely NO DANGER that the actor will accomplish the prohibited wrong.)

Debra_Law wrote:
The MPC's test to ascertain guilt merely requires a "substantial step" that CORROBORATES the actor's guilty mind. (This brings into issue the 8th Amendment prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment because it is clearly unconstitutional to punish an individual for his bad intent or beliefs rather than for engaging in prohibited conduct).

Joe wrote:
Oh please! There would be no eighth amendment implications here, even if you were correct.

Punishing an individual's beliefs (or erroneous beliefs) or evil intent rather than his culpable conduct is just as reprehensible under our Constitution as punishing status rather than culpable conduct. See ROBINSON v. CALIFORNIA, 370 US 660 (1962).

Debra_Law wrote:
At common law, the applicable test to determine whether the actor is subject to criminal liability for an attempt is the dangerous-proximity test that focuses on conduct that comes dangerously close to the commission of the substantive offense.

Joe wrote:
Well, first of all you simply have not made a convincing argument for that point. Historically, there was some divergence of opinion regarding the law of attempts. Secondly, even if the "dangerous proximity" test was the common law test for attempts, the simple response to that is that the common law is judge-made law, and that if judges have switched to the MPC test, then the MPC test is ipso facto the new common law.

In concluding that I have not made a convincing argument, you have ignored all the supporting authority that I have provided throughout this entire thread. At the same time, you state your own conclusions and fail to provide any authority at all. Your proclamation that the MPC test is the "new common law" defies all reason and logic--it has no basis in fact or in law.

When Congress uses the term "attempt" in a federal criminal statute without defining the term, Congress adopts the common law definition. See U.S. v. Morrissette, (citation and quote previously provided). It is a canon of jurisprudence (arising out of the nondelegation doctrine) that "the power to create crimes and punishments in derogation of the common law inheres solely in the democratic processes of the LEGISLATIVE branch." See, e.g., Perkins v. State, 576 So. 2d 1310, 1312 (Fla. 1991). The judicial branch does not have the power to abolish the common law definition of the essential elements of the crime of attempt and adopt the language of the MPC in its place. That power belongs solely to CONGRESS.

Debra_Law wrote:
What test do we apply to ascertain guilt? Under Supreme Court precedent, the courts are required to apply the common law test unless otherwise directed by CONGRESS. However, our federal courts are applying the MPC test that the courts unilaterally adopted.

Joe wrote:
Courts can create new common law rules. That's how the common law works.

Inasmuch as there are no federal common law crimes, it defies logic for anyone to proclaim that our federal courts may create "new common law rules" to apply to federal STATUTORY crimes. The significance of the Court's statement in Morrisette appears to escape your comprehension at this time.

Under the separation of powers doctrine, our courts may not usurp legislative power to alter or amend the essential elements of a crime. From the beginning of our constitutional republic, the power to define a federal crime and establish the punishment has always belonged solely to Congress. U. S. v. Hudson, 7 Cranch 32, 11 U.S. 32, 3 L.Ed. 259 (1812). A federal court does not have the power to punish any act that is not forbidden by federal STATUTE. There are no federal common law crimes.

Again, when Congress enacts a federal criminal STATUTE uses a term of art such as "attempt" that was highly developed by the common law, Congress is presumed to have adopted all the concepts that embody that term UNLESS Congress expressly states otherwise. (See Morrisette.) If CONGRESS chooses to alter (or water down) the essential elements of the crime of attempt in order to make it easier for the prosecution to secure convictions, then CONGRESS must do so explicitly and through a statutory enactment. It is a policy decision for CONGRESS--not the courts--to make whether the common law definition of the elements of criminal attempt should be abolished and whether the MPC language ought to be substituted in its place.

Debra_Law wrote:

Joe wrote:
Apart from some quotations from Holmes (including some from a case having very little to do with the law of attempts), I don't see any evidence that the "dangerous proximity" test was universally accepted as the common law test.

Your inability to see is often times referred to as "willful blindness." Traditionally and historically, the law does not hold innocuous conduct to be criminally culpable. The law has always required that an individual's conduct cause or constitute a prohibited wrong or harm or a cause or constitute a dangerous probability that the prohibited wrong or harm will result BEFORE subjecting an individual to punishment entailing the loss of liberty.

Joe wrote:
Furthermore, I do not understand how a "dangerous proximity" test can be squared with the common law's rejection of the factual impossibility defense. If the Herder court followed the "dangerous proximity" test, should it have ruled in favor of the defendant, even though a defendant cannot (and, indeed, never has been able to) plead a defense based upon factual impossibility?

I believe you are talking about the Jan Helder case. As always, the government must prove the essential elements of the crime.

Let's give the statutory terms "endeavor" and "attempt" the synonymous meaning these terms inherently possess and apply test provided by the Supreme Court in Aguilar:

1) specific intent to commit the criminal offense, and

2) an overt act that has the "natural and probable effect" of accomplishing the criminal offense.

In other words, was Helder's conduct LIKELY (naturally and probably) to be successful (e.g., come dangerously close to the actual commission of the prohibited wrong) unless it was foiled in some way? The answer is NO. Helder's conduct did not have the "natural and probable effect" of accomplishing the criminal offense. Under the facts and circumstances of the case, it is not likely (highly improbable) that Helder's conduct would be successful. Helder's conduct NEVER came dangerously close to actually enticing a minor.

If CONGRESS wants to alter the common law definition of attempt and adopt the language of the MPC in order to impose criminal liability based on an individual's erroneous belief, Congress must explicitly say so in the statute. Just like Aguilar's act of making a false statement to a government agent who might or might not testify at a grand jury did not cross that CERTAIN LINE where his conduct was likely to cause the prohibited harm (obstructing justice), Helder's act of enticing a fictitious minor did not cross that CERTAIN LINE where his conduct was likely to cause the prohibited harm (enticing an actual minor). Inasmuch as Helder's conduct was unlikely to accomplish the wrong that the statute seeks to prohibit, Helder was not guilty of an criminal attempt as a matter of law.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 04:32 pm
Debra_Law wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
No it doesn't.

See the following:

STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA v. ROCCO WILLIAM DISANTO, 2004 SD 112:

Quote:
. . . But before we begin, we must first consider the definition of attempt under the Model Penal Code, and distinguish cases decided under its formula. In response to court decisions that hiring another to commit murder did not constitute attempted murder, many jurisdictions created, sometimes at the urging of the courts, the offense of solicitation of murder. As an alternative, another widespread response was to adopt the definition of attempt under the Model Penal Code. This is because the Model Penal Code includes in criminal attempt much that was held to be preparation under former decisions. Rollin M. Perkins, Criminal Law 561 (2d ed 1957). This is clear from the comments accompanying the definition of criminal attempt in Tentative Draft No. 10 (1960) of the American Law Institute’s Model Penal Code, Article 5 § 5.01. The intent was to extend the criminality of attempts by drawing the line further away from the final act, so as to make the crime essentially one of criminal purpose implemented by a substantial step highly corroborative of such purpose. Model Penal Code § 5.01(1) (Proposed Official Draft (1962)).

[Discussion of Cases applying MPC]

. . . Knowing that the Model Penal Code relaxes the distinction between preparation and perpetration, we exclude from our analysis those murder for hire cases using some form of the Code’s definition of attempt. Obviously, we cannot engraft a piece of the Model Penal Code onto our statutory definition of attempt, for to do so would amount to a judicial rewriting of our statute.

The South Dakota Supreme Court understands that the MPC shifts the focus of the law of attempt from the actor's conduct to the actor's mind. The Court also understands that it does not have the power to define crimes by adopting the MPC. A court may not usurp power that belongs exclusively to the legislative branch.

See also COMMONWEALTH vs. JERRY HAMEL:

Quote:
Doctrine of criminal attempt. The Massachusetts law of criminal attempt harks back to Justice Holmes. Holmes tried to give to "external" or "objective" standards a controlling force in criminal law (as well as in the law of torts).(7) There were some conventional offenses, however, where guilt was explicitly made dependent on certain personal intentions of the accused. Criminal attempts were in this class. Holmes reconciled his external-standards thesis to this condition, as his biographer Professor Howe observed, by propounding "that the law's occasional concern for the actual intent which motivated conduct was not the reflection of its disapproval of a sinful mind but of its recognition that the probability of injury is increased when the offender intends to do harm."(8) The law must be careful not to overplay the role of intention in such an inchoate crime as attempt, lest the result be precisely to punish the mere possession of a sinful mind. The consequence of Holmes's line of reasoning, as developed in The Common Law 65-70 (1881), and his opinions in Commonwealth v. Kennedy, 170 Mass. 18 (1887), and Commonwealth v. Peaslee, 177 Mass. 267 (1901),(9) was that in the duality of intention and overt act that is the heft of the crime of attempt, what the actor in fact did toward fulfilling the intention must have been dangerously close to the consummation of the object crime to serve as the crucial overt act. Holmes summed up the matter thus in the last of his three opinions discussing criminal attempts: "An attempt, in the strictest sense, is an act expected to bring about a substantive wrong by the forces of nature. With it is classed the kindred offence where the act and the natural conditions present or supposed to be present are not enough to do the harm without a further act, but where it is so near to the result that if coupled with an intent to produce that result, the danger is very great." Holmes, J., dissenting in Hyde v. United States, 225 U.S. 347, 387 (1912) (contrasting criminal attempt with conspiracy).

Holmes's view concentrates attention on the distance or gap between the defendant's actions and the (unachieved) goal of the consummated crime -- the distance must be relatively short, the gap narrow, if the defendant is to be held guilty of a criminal attempt.(10)

Overall, Holmes is concerned with the dangerousness of the actor's conduct as the key to criminal attempt. There is a contrasting position, adopted by the Model Penal Code, that the criterion should be the actor's dangerousness, his disposition to commit a crime.(11) But as the dangerousness of an individual who tries to commit a crime but does not succeed, equates or nearly so with the dangerousness of one who succeeds, the Code abandons a proximity-of-conduct standard and accepts less stringent signs of personal dangerousness to ground convictions for criminal attempt. So the Code dwells on what the actor did toward attaining the substantive offense rather than on what he had yet to do: the law should look to a "substantial step in a course of conduct planned to culminate in [the] commission of the crime," which step was "strongly corroborative of the actor's criminal purpose." Model Penal Code and Commentaries § 5.01(1)(c) & 2), Criminal Attempt (1985). The Code thus tends to broaden the base of criminal attempt, to make convictions easier to reach.

The Code formula for criminal attempt, or an approach thereto, has been adopted by legislation in a number of States.(12) A change veering in the direction of the Code was proposed for the Commonwealth in 1972,(13) but, as noted in the attempt case, Commonwealth v. Ortiz, 408 Mass. 463, 472 (1990), the Legislature has not acted.(14)

Again, the Massachusetts Court explains how the common law focuses on the actor's conduct whereas, in contrast, the MPC focuses on the actor's mind (i.e., his dangerousness as demonstrated by his criminal intent/purpose).

Also, the Massachusetts Court understands that it's solely within the power of the legislature to decide whether to change the law of attempt and adopt the MPC elements. The MPC change was proposed, but the Legislature has thus far declined to alter or amend its existing law.

See also Booth v. Oklahoma, 398 P.2d 863 (1964):

Quote:
John Fletcher BOOTH, Jr., Plaintiff in Error,

v.
The STATE of Oklahoma, Defendant in Error
Court of Criminal Appeals of Oklahoma
398 P.2d 863 (1964)
NIX, Judge.

John Fletcher Booth, Jr., was charged by information in the District Court of Oklahoma County with the crime of Receiving [p. 865] Stolen Property, and was found guilty of the lesser crime of Attempt to Receive Stolen Property. The jury assessed his penalty at Two Years in the Oklahoma State Penitentiary, and to pay a fine in the amount of $150.00. From said judgment and sentence the defendant appeals.

The record before this Court reveals that this case arose out of a circumstance as testified to by a self-admitted, well-known thief bearing the name of Charley Stanford, whose FBI 'rap sheet' covers 8 pages of arrests extending over a period of 15 years. He was obviously braggadocio about his convictions and related from the witness stand that he had been arrested approximately 300 times on everything in the book, short of murder and rape. He admitted serving 4 terms in the penitentiary, and having been committed to a mental institution twice. He testified, in substance, that in the early morning hours he was walking in the parking lot at the YMCA in Oklahoma City and sighted a topcoat in a parked automobile. That he jimmied the window and removed the coat, took it to his home at 308 N.E. 8th Street, where he retired until about 7:00 at which time he proceeded down to a pay telephone where he called his attorney (the defendant herein). He testified that he advised him he had the coat he had ordered, and agreed to let him have the coat for $20.00. Arrangements were made for the defendant to meet him at the thief's home at approximately 11:00 A.M. where the transfer was to be made. He returned home, and a friend came by and invited him to go get a drink. He started from his house to his friend's car and was arrested by Lt. Anthony of the Oklahoma City Police Department. He was wearing the stolen coat at the time of his arrest. Lt. Anthony took Stanford to the police station, and asked him where he had gotten the coat and he confessed getting it from the car in the YMCA parking lot.

Lt. Anthony testified, in substance, that he received an anonymous telephone call at approximately 7:00 a. m. on the morning of the day in question, and proceeded to the YMCA and located the owner of the vehicle that had been burglarized. They went then to the vehicle and observed the wing glass had been broken, pried open, and a gray cashmere coat and some shirts were missing. Officer Anthony proceeded to the 300 block on N.E. 8th and saw an ex- convict by the name Charley Stanford leaving his house wearing a gray cashmere coat. Anthony then and there arrested Stanford for Burglary and took him to the police station. He then called Mr. Gothard to the police station, where he identified the coat as his and asked Lt. Anthony for the coat, but was advised that they needed it as evidence. Officer Anthony, Officer Reading and Stanford proceeded to 308 N.E. 8th taking the recovered coat with them. After arriving, they took their position behind a closet door containing 'peep-holes' and waited for the arrival of defendant Booth. According to the testimony of Anthony, the following transpired:
'A. We then went back to the 300 block on 8th Street and I concealed myself in the closet and Mr. Stanford stayed in the other part of the house which was a combination of or the apartment was a combination of a kitchen with a divan on the west side of the room. He laid the overcoat on the divan. And in the door of this clothes closet there was small pin holes and I left the door ajar slightly. Shortly after eleven o'clock Mr. John Booth came to the front door. * * *
'Q. May I ask you and interrupt you at this point. Is that person in the courtroom?
'A. Yes sir.
'Q. Would you please point him out to the Court and Jury, Officer?
'A. That person. (Points to defendant, John Booth)
'Q. Go ahead.
'A. Booth entered the house, and I heard Charlie say. * * *
[p. 866] 'BY THE COURT: (Interrupting) Who do you mean by Charlie:
'A. Charlie Stanford.
'BY MR. THOMAS:
'Q. Then what?
'A. I heard Charlie Stanford say, 'John, I got the coat which you wanted.' 'I need the twenty dollars right away.' And Mr. Booth said, 'This is child support month, Charlie, come to my office later and I will give you a check.'

There was other conversation.
'Q. Was there any other conversation relative to the deal?
'MR. BAUCUM: Now we are going to object to that as leading and very suggestive, Your Honor.
'BY THE COURT: That's leading and suggestive.
'BY MR. THOMAS: I was just asking about the conversation.
'BY THE COURT: I know, but it has all the import of being one. You go ahead and ask the question, and the court will sustain the objection or overrule it, which ever is proper. Don't suggest anything to him.
'BY MR. THOMAS:
'Q. Officer Anthony you testified about * * *. ,STRIKE THAT. Officer Anthony, how long was Mr. Booth in the house? With Charlie Stanford?
'A. I would judge about ten minutes.
'Q. At which time you were in the closet?
'A. Yes, sir.
'Q. With the door ajar?
'A. Yes, sir. But I was looking mostly through the small pin holes.
'Q. Were you able to look through the holes?
'A. Yes, sir.
'Q. Tell what you observed.
'A. They came into this particular room. * * *
'Q. Who is 'they'?
'A. John Booth and Charlie Stanford. They * * * well, Booth picked up the coat in his arms and there was conversation of and he warned him that the thing was 'hot'.
'Q. Who warned who?
'A. Charlie Stanford warned John Booth that the thing was 'hot'.
'Q. That the coat was 'hot'?
'A. Yes, that's the way he termed it.
'Q. What did Mr. Booth say?
'A. He said, 'well, I know how to handle things like this, don't worry about it, Charlie.'
'Q. Then what happened?
'BY MR. SAMARA: I object your honor, it is going beyond the scope of direct examination. And involving matters that are unconcerned.
'BY THE COURT: The objection will be overruled.
'BY MR. THOMAS:
'Q. You testified that Charlie Stanford told him the coat was 'hot'.
'A. He warned him the coat was hot, it was criminal talk, hot or stolen.
'Q. What did Booth say?
'A. Booth said 'I know how to handle these things'.
'Q. 'I know how to handle these things'?
'A. Yes, and 'don't worry about it, Charlie.'
'Q. Then what happened?
'A. At this point they went into a rest-room and what went on in there, I didn't hear. Then they came back out, and Booth went to his car and put the coat in the turtle-back of his car and then returned to the house and that is about all that occurred.
[p. 867] 'Q. Altogether then Mr. Booth was in Charlie Stanford's house about how long?
'A. About ten minutes.
'Q. Did he leave?
'A. Yes, he left.'
After taking Stanford to the police station, Anthony obtained a search warrant and then maintained a surveillance of Booth's house until he arrived. He then entered the premises, arrested Booth, and again recovered the coat.

Though defendant Booth was charged with Receiving Stolen Property, at the conclusion of the evidence and after the state and defendant had rested their case, the trial judge gave the following instruction:
'You are instructed that under the law of this case you are at liberty to consider only the included offense of whether the defendant John Fletcher Booth may be guilty of the crime of Attempt to Receive Stolen Property. In this regard you are instructed, an attempt to commit a crime is defined as being the compound of two elements.
'(1) The intent to commit a crime. (2) A direct ineffectual act done towards its commission.
'Preparation alone to an attempt to commit a crime is not sufficient. * * *'
No doubt this instruction was given based upon the theory that once stolen property has been recovered by the police it loses its character as stolen property. This appears to have been the contention of defense counsel as reflected by the record. When defendant rested his case, the following Motions were made:
'Comes now the defendant at the close of the evidence of the state heretofore rested their case and demurs to the evidence for the reason that the same is wholly insufficient to establish the crime of Receiving Stolen Property or any lesser included offense and further request that the court at this time to direct the jury to bring in a verdict of Not Guilty.'
(Overruled by the Court, Exceptions allowed.)
Then the following Motion was made by defense counsel:
'The defendant at this time renews his motion to quash the information for the reason that the evidence introduced in this trial substantially shows that the crime of Receiving Stolen Property could not have been committed under the circumstances of this case, to-wit: The fact that the officers and all of the state's witnesses admitted that the alleged stolen coat had been recovered by the police, that the owner had identified it, that the police checked it and later turned it over to a thief for the purpose of delivery to this defendant.'
(Overruled and exception.)
The trial judge then adjourned court until the following day, stating that there were no guide-lines or guide-posts in this state and that it would take some little time to prepare the instructions. Thus the prepared instruction number two as heretofore recited was given.

In view of said instruction, we are justified in assuming that the trial judge and all parties concerned were in agreement. That under the testimony in the instant case, the coat had lost its' character as stolen property when recovered by the police, and the owner apprised of the recovery and identified the coat as the one taken from him.

The general rule evidently adopted by the trial court is stated in 76 C.J.S. Receiving Stolen Goods § 5, pg. 7, as follows:
'In order to convict of receiving stolen goods, the goods in question must have retained their stolen character at the time they were received by accused; if they were stolen, they continue to be stolen goods until they are recovered by their owner or some one for him. Hence, where the actual physical possession of stolen goods has been recovered [p. 868] by the owner or his agent and afterwards carried to the receiver either by the original thief or the instrumentality through which the thief originally intended to convey it, at the express direction of the owner or his agent, for the purpose of entrapping the receiver, his receiving of the goods is not a receiving of stolen goods.'
The rule, well stated, is to be found in U. S. v. Cawley, 255 F.2d 338 (Circuit Court of Appeals for 3rd Circuit):
'When stolen goods are recovered by owner or his agent before they are sold, goods are no longer to be considered stolen, and purchaser cannot be convicted of receiving stolen goods.'
In People v. Finkelstein, 21 Mis.2d 723, 197 N.Y.S.2d 31, (1960) the court said:
'A defendant may not be convicted for receiving stolen property if property is no longer in category of stolen property when he receives it.'
The law seems to be clear on this point, leaving the only question to be decided as whether or not the defendant could be convicted of an attempt to receive stolen property in such cases. It is the defendant's contention that if he could not be convicted of the substantive charge, becuase the coat had lost its character as stolen property; neither could he be convicted of an attempt because the coat was not in the category of stolen property at the time he received it.

The briefs filed in the case, and extensive research has revealed that two states have passed squarely on the question--New York and California. It is definitely one of first impression in Oklahoma.

The New York Court, in passing upon the question, laid down the following rule in the case of People v. Jaffe, 185 N.Y. 497, 78 N.E. 169, 6. L.R.A., N.S., 263, on the following facts:
'A clerk stole goods from his employer under an agreement to sell them to accused, but before delivery of the goods the theft was discovered and the goods were recovered. Later the employer redelivered the goods to the clerk to sell to accused, who purchased them for about one-half of their value, believing them to have been stolen.
'Held, that the goods had lost their character as stolen goods at the time defendant purchased them, and that his criminal intent was insufficient to sustain a conviction for an attempt to receive stolen property, knowing it to have been stolen.'
The Jaffe case, supra, was handed down in 1906, and has prevailed as the law in New York state 58 years without modification--being affirmed in People v. Finklestein, supra; People v. Mills, 178 N.Y. 274, 70 N.E. 786, 67 L.R.A. 131; People v. Teal, 196 N.Y. 372; 89 N.E. 1086, 25 L.R.A.,N.S., 120; People v. Jelke, 1 N.Y.2d 321, 152 N.Y.S.2d 479, 135 N.E.2d 213; and finally, in the case of People v. Rollino (1962), 37 Misc.2d 14, 233 N.Y.S.2d 580.

The State of California has passed upon the question several times and up until 1959, they followed the rule laid down in the Jaffe case, supra. (See, People v. Werner, 16 Cal.2d 216, 105 P.2d 927; People v. Schroder, 132 Cal.App.2d 1, 281 P.2d 297; People v. Zimmerman, 11 Cal.App. 115, 104 P. 590 (Calif).)

In 1959, in the case of People v. Camodeca, 52 Cal.2d 142, 338 P.2d 903, the California Court abandoned the Jaffe rationale that a person accepting goods which he believes to have been stolen, but which was not in fact stolen goods, is not guilty of an attempt to receive stolen goods, and imposed a liability for the attempt, overruling its previous holding to the contrary in the above cited cases. The Camodeca case, supra, was affirmed in People v. Rojas, 55 Cal.2d 252, 10 Cal.Rptr. 465, 358 P.2d 921, 85 A.L.R.2d 252, 1961.

Though the instant case, insofar as it pertains to the specific crime of attempting to receive stolen property is one of first impression in Oklahoma. This Court held in the Nemecek v. State, 72 Okl.Cr. [p. 869] 195, 114 P.2d 492, 135 A.L.R. 1149, involving attempting to receive money by false pretenses:
'An accused cannot be convicted of an attempt to commit a crime unless he could have been convicted of the crime itself if his attempt had been successful. Where the act, if accomplished, would not constitute the crime intended, there is no indictable attempt.'
In the Nemecek case, supra, the Court quotes with approval, In re Schurman, 40 Kan. 533, 20 P. 277; wherein the Kansas Court said:
'With reference to attempt, it has also been said that 'if all which the accused person intended would, had it been done, constitute no substantive crime, it cannot be a crime, under the name 'attempt,' to do, with the same purpose, a part of this thing.''
The two paramount cases of latest date; Rojas of Calif.1961, supra, and Rollino of New York 1962, supra; present two rationales directly contrary to each other relative to an attempt to receive stolen property after it had been recovered by the police.

Before, adhering too closely to either rationale, it is deemed advisable to briefly discuss the development of the 'attempt to commit crimes' and the complexity pertaining thereto.

A thorough historical background of 'attempt to commit crimes' is given by J. Irwin Shapiro, Justice of the Supreme Court, Queens County, Post 11, N. Y. It is to be found in the Rollino case, supra. In that case, Judge Shapiro relates in substance that the development of attempts apparently stems from the decision of the Kings Bench in Rex v. Schofield, Cald. 397 (1784). There, the defendant was tried for arson. He had placed a lighted candle among combustibles in a certain house, with intent to burn it. There was, however, no proof of burning adduced. The court held that the COMPLETION of the criminal act was not required to constitute criminality if the attempt was committed with the necessary intent. It logically inquired:
'* * * Is it no offense to set fire to a train of gunpowder with intent to burn a house, because by accident, or the interposition of another, the mischief is prevented?'
That attempts were indictable as such was restated and definitively determined in Rex. v. Higgins, 2 East 5 (1801). Fifty-six years later, the question of 'impossibility' was raised for the first time in Regina v. McPherson, Dears & B. 197, 201, (1857), when Baron Bramwell said:
'* * * The argument that a man putting his hand into an empty pocket might be convicted of an attempt to steal appeared to me at first plausible; but suppose a man, believing a block of wood to be a man who was his deadly enemy, struck it a blow intending to murder, could he be convicted of attempting to murder the man he took it to be?'
Subsequently, in Regina v. Collins, 9 Cox C.C. 497, 169 Eng.Rep. 1477 (1864), the Court expressly held that attempted larceny was not made out by proof that the defendant pickpocket actually inserted his hand into the victim's pocket with intent to steal. Chief Justice Cockburn, declaring, at page 499:
'We think that an attempt to commit a felony can only be made out when, if no interruption had taken place, the attempt could have been carried out successfully, and the felony completed of the attempt to commit which the party is charged.'
This very broad language, encompassing as it did all forms of 'impossibility', was subsequently rejected by the English courts and it was held that the inability of the pickpocket to steal from an empty pocket did not preclude his conviction of an attempted larceny. Regina v. Ring, 17 Cox C.C. 491, 66 L.T. (N.S.) 306 (1892).

In this country it is generally held that a defendant may be charged with an attempt [p. 870] where the crime was not completed because of 'physical or factual impossibility', whereas a 'legal impossibility' in the completion of the crime precludes prosecution for an attempt. (Smith, 'Two problems in Criminal Attempts', 70 Harvard Law Review, 422.)

What is a 'legal impossibility' as distinguished from a 'physical or factual impossibility' has over a long period of time perplexed our courts and has resulted in many irreconcilable decisions and much philosophical discussion by legal scholars in numerous articles and papers in law school publications and by text writers. See, for example: 'Contemporary Problems of Criminal Attempts' by Paul Kichyun Ryu, Rpofessor Law, Seoul University in Korea, 32 New York University Law Review, page 1170 (1957); 'The Effect of Impossibility on Criminal Attempts' by John S. Strahorn, Jr., 78 University of Pennsylvania Law Review, page 962 (1930); 'Criminal Attempts--The Rise and Fall of an Abstraction' by Honorable Thurman W. Arnold, Dean of University of West Virginia Law School and visiting Professor of Law at Yale (later Associate Justice, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia), 40 Yale Law Journal, page 53 (1930); 'criminal Attempts' by Francis Bowes Sayre, Professor of Law, Harvard Law School, 41 Harvard Law Review, page 821 (1928); 'Criminal and Non-Criminal Attempts' by John W. Curran, Professor of Law, DePaul College of Law, 19 George Town Law Journal, Part I, page 185--Part II, page 316 (1931); 'Criminal Attempts at Common Law' by Edwin R. Keedy, Professor of Law Emeritus, University of Pennsylvania, 102 University of Pennsylvania Law Review, page 464 (1954).

The reason for the 'impossibility' of completing the substantive crime ordinarily falls into one of two categories: (1) Where the act if completed would not be criminal, a situation which is usually described as a 'legal impossibility', and (2) where the basic or substantive crime is impossible of completion, simply because of some physical or factual condition unknown to the defendant, a situation which is usually described as a 'factual impossibility'.

The authorities in the various states and the text-writers are in general agreement that where there is a 'legal impossibility' of completing the substantive crime, the accused cannot be successfully charged with an attempt, whereas in those cases in which the 'factual impossibility' situation is involved, the accused may be convicted of an attempt. Detailed discussion of the subject is unnecessary to make it clear that it is frequently most difficult to compartmentalize a particular set of facts as coming within one of the categories rather than the other. Examples of the so-called 'legal impossibility' situations are:
(a) A person accepting goods which he believes to have been stolen, but which were not in fact stolen goods, is not guilty of an attempt to receive stolen goods. (People v. Jaffe, 185 N.Y. 497, 78 N.E. 169, 9 L.R.A.,N.S., 263).
(b) It is not an attempt to commit subornation of perjury where the false testimony solicited, if given, would have been immaterial to the case at hald and hence not perjurious. (People v. Teal, 196 N.Y. 372, 89 N.E. 1086, 25 L.R.A.,N.S., 120).
(c) An accused who offers a bribe to a person believed to be a juror, but who is not a juror, is not guilty of an attempt to bribe a juror. (State v. Taylor, 345 Mo. 325, 133 S.W.2d 336).
(d) An official who contracts a debt which is unauthorized and a nullity, but which he believes to be valid, is not guilty of an attempt to illegally contract a valid debt. (Marley v. State, 58 N.J.L. 207, 33 A. 208).
(e) A hunter who shoots a stuffed deer believing it to be alive is not guilty of an attempt to shoot a dear out of season. State v. Guffey, 262 S.W.2d 152 (Mo.App.).
Examples of cases in which attempt convictions have been sustained on the theory [p. 871] that all that prevented the consummation of the completed crime was a 'factual impossibility' are:
(a) The picking of an empty pocket. (People v. Moran, 123 N.Y. 254, 25 N.E. 412, 10 L.R.A. 109; Commonwealth v. McDonald, 5 Cush. 365 (Mass.); People v. Jones, 46 Mich. 441, 9 N.W. 486).
(b) An attempt to steal from an empty receptacle. (Clark v. State, 86 Tenn. 511, 8 S.W. 145) or an empty house (State v. Utley, 82 N.C. 556).
(c) Where defendant shoots into the intended victim's bed, believing he is there, when in fact he is elsewhere. (State v. Mitchell, 170 Mo. 633, 71 S.W. 175).
(d) Where the defendant erroneously believing that the gun is loaded points it at his wife's head and pulls the trigger. (State v. Damms, 9 Wis.2d 183, 100 N.W.2d 592, 79 A.L.R.2d 1402).
(e) Where the woman upon whom the abortion operation is performed is not in fact pregnant. (Commonwealth v. Tibbetts, 157 Mass. 519, 32 N.E. 910; People v. Huff, 339 Ill. 328, 171 N.E. 261; and Peckham v. United States, 96 U.S.App.D.C. 312, 266 F.2d 34).
Your writer is of the opinion that the confusion that exists as a result of the two diverse rationales laid down in the Rollino case (NY) supra, and the Rojas case (Calif) supra, was brought about by the failure to recognize the distinction between a factual and a legal impossibility to accomplish the crime. In the Camodeca case (Calif) supra, the facts revealed a prevention of the crime because of a factual situation as stated on page 906, 338 P.2d:
'In the present case there was not a legal but only a factual impossibility of consummating the intended offense * * *.'

In the Rojas case, supra, wherein was adopted the departure from the Jaffe case, by saying:
'The situation here is materially like those considered in People v. Camodeca.'
The Rojas case was definitely not materially the same. In the Rojas case the facts reveal a legal and not factual impossibility.

In the case at bar the stolen coat had been recovered by the police for the owner and consequently had, according to the well-established law in this country, lost its character as stolen property. Therefore, a legal impossibility precluded defendant from being prosecuted for the crime of Knowingly Receiving Stolen Property.

It would strain reasoning beyond a logical conclusion to hold contrary to the rule previously stated herein, that,
'If all which the accused person intended would, had it been done, constituted no substantive crime, it cannot be a crime under the name 'attempt' to do, with the same purpose, a part of this thing.'
If a series of acts together will not constitute an offense, how can it be said that one of the acts alone will constitute an indictable offense? Bishop Crim.Law § 747.

The rule is well stated by the English Court in the case of R. V. Percy, ltd. 33 Crim.App.R. 102 (1949):
'Steps on the way to the commission of what would be a crime, if the acts were completed, may amount to attempts to commit that crime, to which, unless interrupted, they would have led; but steps on the way to the doing of something, which is thereafter done, and which is no crime, cannot be regarded as attempts to commit a crime.'
Sayre, 41 Harvard Law Review 821, 853-54 (1928) states the rationale in this manner:
'It seems clear that cases (where none of the intended consequences is in fact criminal) cannot constitute criminal attempts. If none of the consequences which the defendant sought to achieve constitute a crime, surely his unsuccessful efforts to achieve his object cannot constitute a criminal attempt. The partial fulfillment of an object [p. 872] not criminal cannot itself be criminal. If the whole is not criminal, the part cannot be.'

The defendant in the instant case leaves little doubt as to his moral guilt. The evidence, as related by the self-admitted and perpetual law violator indicates defendant fully intended to do the act with which he was charged. However, it is fundamental to our law that a man is not punished merely because he has a criminal mind. It must be shown that he has, with that criminal mind, done an act which is forbidden by the criminal law.

Adhering to this principle, the following example would further illustrate the point.

A fine horse is offered to A at a ridiculously low price by B, who is a known horse thief. A, believing the horse to be stolen, buys the same without inquiry. In fact, the horse had been raised from a colt by B and was not stolen. It would be bordering on absurdity to suggest that A's frame of mind, if proven, would support a conviction of an attempt. It would be a 'legal impossibility'.

Our statute provides that defendant must attempt to Knowingly Receive Stolen Property before a conviction will stand. How could one know property to be stolen when it was not? The statute needs to be changed so it would be less favorable to the criminal.

J. C. Smith, a Reader in Law, University of Nottingham, B.A., Cambridge, 1949, LL. B1, 1950, M. A., 1954, said in an article (70 Harvard Law, Review 422) supporting the Jaffe case, supra, and the above reasoning:
'If it appears wrong that the accused should escape unpunished in the particular circumstances, then it may be that there is something wrong with the substantive law and his act ought to be criminal. But the remedy then is to alter the substantive crime. Otherwise 'there is no ACTUS REUS because 'the accident has turned up in his favour'' and the accused ought to be acquitted. When a man has achieved all the consequences which he set out to achieve and those consequences do not, in the existing circumstances, amount to an ACTUS REUS it is in accordance both with principle and authority that that man should be held not guilty of any crime.'

We earnestly suggest that the Legislature revise the law on Attempts in accordance with The American Law Institute for the adoption of a 'Model Penal Code', which Article 5.01 defines 'Criminal Attempts' in the following manner.
'(1) DEFINITION OF ATTEMPT. A person is guilty of an attempt to commit a crime if, acting with the kind of culpability otherwise required for commission of the crime, he:
'(a) purposely engages in conduct which would constitute the crime if the attendant circumstances were as he believes them to be; or,
'(b) When causing a particular result in an element of the crime, does or omits to do anything with the purpose of causing or with the belief that it will cause such result, without further conduct on his part; or,
'(c) purposely does or omits to do anything which, under the circumstances as he believes them to be, is a substantial step in a course of conduct planned to culminate in his commission of the crime.'

The Clerk of this Court is requested to send a copy of this decision to the Legislative Council for consideration, as our Court can only adjudicate, it cannot legislate.

In view of our statutory law, and the decisions herein related, it is our duty to Reverse this case, with orders to Dismiss, and it is so ordered. However, there are other avenues open to the County Attorney which should be explored.

The Criminal Court of Appeals reversed an attempt conviction and informed the LEGISLATURE, if it wanted to hold people accountable for their erroneous beliefs even though their conduct unaccompanied by an erroneous belief would not constitute a crime--the LEGISLATURE had to change the law and the Court suggested the MPC.

The Court correctly noted, "our Court can only adjudicate, it cannot legislate." The federal courts ought to know that they can only adjudicate and that they cannot legislate. Federal circuit court adoptions of the MPC to define the crime of attempt usurp legislative powers in violation of the Constitution. Pursuant to Article I of the United States Constitution, all legislative powers are vested in Congress.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 12:06 am
Another case discussing the MPC's focus on the actor's mind:

People v. Dlugash:

Quote:
The approach of the draftsmen of the Model Penal Code was to eliminate the defense of impossibility in virtually all situations. Under the code provision, to constitute an attempt, it is still necessary that the result intended or desired by the actor constitute a crime. However, the code suggested a fundamental change to shift the locus of analysis to the actor's mental frame of reference and away from undue dependence upon external considerations. The basic premise of the code provision is that what was in the actor's own mind should be the standard for determining his dangerousness to society and, hence, his liability for attempted criminal conduct. (Wechsler, Jones and Korn, Treatment of Inchoate Crimes in Model Penal Code of American Law Institute: Attempt, Solicitation and Conspiracy, 61 Col L Rev 571, 578-585; see, also, American Law Institute, Model [*735] Penal Code [Tent Draft No. 10], Comments to § 5.01—Criminal Attempt, pp 30-38.)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:00 am
Debra_Law: I won't respond to everything that you've written -- I don't have the time or the inclination to engage in that kind of unbillable research. Furthermore, I don't see why I should be obligated to address all of your arguments when you haven't addressed all of mine. To focus our attention, then, please respond to my previous question:

I know that you attempted to address this question in one of your earlier posts, but this time I'd like you confine your answer to the question that I actually presented, not the one that you wanted me to ask.
0 Replies