cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 11:24 pm
@McGentrix,
As a matter of fact, joefromchicago is my friend. And he's white! Let's see: including joefromchicago, I can also include ossobucco, Walter, georgeobrien, francis, frankapisa, George, JPB, farmerman, fbaez, Thomas, and many others.
Builder

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 11:36 pm
Looks like a train wreck in here.

McG has you running in circles.

So Donald gets second place in Iowa? But takes it on the chin.

I wonder if he uses speech writers, or has personality prompters, and analysts on his staff.

cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 11:44 pm
@Builder,
It seems 'all of the above' fits.
Builder

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 11:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He accuses you of posting off-topic once, while railroading the thread completely away from the OP. I drop in once in a while, but have to backtrack a couple of pages to see where things went awry.

But seriously, do you think Trump is ad-libbing mostly?

Or he has a staff of writers and aides?
cicerone imposter

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 02:01 am
@Builder,
I think he has consults, but uses his own words.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 09:55 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Why would you be concerned? Do you have a ranch on Federal lands? Own land bordering Federal land?

No, I'm not a moocher like the Bundys. I'm concerned about incidents like the standoff at the Malheur NWR because of the precedent they set. We know that federal inaction in the face of these armed confrontations simply breeds more of the same - the occupation at Malheur is the direct result of the feds' shameful, ignominious retreat from the ranch of welfare-king Cliven Bundy. When are we going to learn that we can't give in to the terrorists' demands? It just encourages them.

McGentrix wrote:
I've heard rumors you are not in Chicago anymore, but, would you be more concerned about walking the streets in some Chicago neighborhoods than around the country side of Oregon?

Yes, apparently I'm now in Canada, which comes as something of a surprise to me. But I'd rather walk around Chicago than eastern Oregon. Much easier to get a Polish sausage or an Italian beef sandwich in Chicago.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 09:56 am
@McGentrix,
What's next for Mr. Trump?
joefromchicago

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 09:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

As a matter of fact, joefromchicago is my friend. And he's white!

My secret shame is revealed. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 10:19 am
@cicerone imposter,
What the hell, now I am feeling left out ! Wink
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 11:36 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

What's next for Mr. Trump?

Most likely a win in New Hampshire.
puzzledperson

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 02:39 pm
@McGentrix,
The most reliable polls prior to the Iowa caucus showed Trump with a comfortable margin over Cruz, and Rubio a distant third. Instead, Cruz won by a comfortable margin over Trump and Rubio nearly came in second, right on Trump's heels.

The problem with these polls is that they do not include a category for "undecided" -- at least not in the poll results commonly presented on cable news and other popular media.

According to last night's O'Reilly Factor, about a third of Iowa's GOP voters had polled undecided. O'Reilly reported the results of an exit poll of previously undecided voters leaving the Iowa GOP caucus. I seem to recall that about 33% of those voted for Rubio, about 25% voted for Cruz, and just 14% voted for Trump. The rest were split between other candidates.

This would explain the actual caucus results pretty handily: Rubio's surprise overperformance due to a large chunk of previously undecided voters settling for him; and Cruz closing the margin then adding a winning margin, but not as big of a jump as Rubio.

As for New Hampshire, recent news items indicate that among Republicans, undecideds number about 7%. But a third of independents (who are expected to be about 40 percent of primary voters there) are undecided, which means another 13 percent or so in terms of the overall voter population. But only a portion of these self-identify as Republicans, so the percentage of those undecided, Republican leaning voters is smaller still; but they strongly lean towards candidates like Bush and Kasich. Or rather, they did five days ago:

https://www.wbur.org/2016/01/28/new-hampshires-undecided-independent-voters

But now, after Rubio's strong showing in Iowa, these moderate leaning Republican-identifying independents might consolidate their vote in Rubio.

Put together, the undecided Republicans and undecided Republican-leaning independents probably introduce 10-15 % uncertainty. But then you have the possibility of further shifts among weakly decided voters whose candidates did poorly in Iowa but who might be open to Rubio. Plus there is the possibility of a larger than expected voter turnout that includes more moderate leaning independents than expected.

So while it looks like a shoe-in for Trump, it may not be.

As far as I'm concerned, the issue of undecided and weakly decided voters may be the most significant but underreported topic in political news coverage. This may be why some candidates who consistently show low in the polls nevertheless continue to doggedly hang on.
McGentrix

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 03:20 pm
@puzzledperson,
Good post PP.
0 Replies

revelette2

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 08:38 am
Trump Says Skipping Debate May Have Hurt Him in Iowa

Quote:
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said that skipping the last debate may have hurt him in the Iowa caucuses, but he is looking forward to next Tuesday's primary in New Hampshire.

"We're just going to do what I have to do. And if it works out, Tom, that's great. And if it doesn't, that's okay, too," Trump said in a press conference responding to a question from ABC's Tom Llamas ahead of an appearance at a rally in Milton, NH.

Trump said maybe him skipping the debate hurt him -- but he said he doesn't regret fundraising for vets during the forum. Trump skipped the debate amid a feud with hosts Fox News and the moderator of the first debate, Megyn Kelly.

Trump is now taking aim at the two others who claimed the top three spots in Iowa's caucuses -- the victor Sen. Ted Cruz as well as third place finisher Sen. Marco Rubio.

"How come the person that comes in third on many of the networks is being covered like it’s one of the great victories of politics in this country. And the person that’s not a professional politician, I’m a job creator,” Trump said. Later on he made fun of Rubio’s finish again -- “fantastic win!”

Trump repeatedly attacked the media for how his finish was being categorized.

"You know when you think the amazing thing is, the press, not all of them, some were great," said Trump, who received the endorsement of former Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown. "Some were saying, he came in second, he started off in 10th and came in second. But with me, they don't like to hear second.”

Trump will campaign tomorrow in Little Rock, Ark and returns to New Hampshire Thursday with multiple stops.

0 Replies

revelette2

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 08:47 am
@Builder,
I doubt Trump would let anyone else put words in his mouth, but that is just my impression after reading several articles on him. I am tempted to buy a whole book on him. I don't want him for president, but I admit to finding him an interesting read. But then again, I am addict to the Investigation Discovery Channel and occasionally read horror stories.
ehBeth

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:21 am
@revelette2,
Ask your local library to order books on Trump. Better than using your own money Wink plus it makes them available to others who might have an interest.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 12:15 pm
@revelette2,
Simply put, Trump is a wealthy loud mouth, a racial bigot, and a media darling.
BillRM

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 12:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Trump is a wealthy loud mouth, a racial bigot, and a media darling.

While I agree completely concerning your opinions of Trump, however I also find it amusing that you are a supporter of both Sharpton and Jackson who share being a wealthy loud mouth, a racial bigot, and a media darling along with Trump.
cicerone imposter

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 12:59 pm
@BillRM,
Show me where I ever supported Sharpton and Jackson.
BillRM

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 01:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
My my you have supported Sharpton rallies and his comments such as no justice and no peace when it came to such cases as Zimmerman.

Now if you wish to be so dishonest as to denial having done so I frankly do not care to search through tens of thousand of postings to dig up your comments out, so you can get away with being dishonest if you care to be.
0 Replies

Builder

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 03:29 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I doubt Trump would let anyone else put words in his mouth, but that is just my impression after reading several articles on him.

Then he's certainly wrong for the job. Speeches are written, and the prez is supposed to read them verbatim. Part of the job description.