Sidecut

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:48 am
PBIR
No way Tony Roth would have been able to skipper all 4 races. There was a Viking skipper named Nat King who won every race he sailed in PBIRs and after that a rule was put into effect that prevented anybody from skippering or crewing more than 2 consecutive races.

Have you guys been to the Viking website:

http://campvikingcapecod.org/

Big reunion next summer.

My kids are also up at CCSC
0 Replies

venoak

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 06:44 pm
Pleasant Bay Camp
Daysailor,
I was a camper at Pleasant Bay (Sailing) Camp 1970 - 73. Master Sailor all three years and won the Camp Sailing Cup one year as skipper. I had great sailors as my crew. I still have the Master Sailor award plates. I fondly remember those Summers. I remember that we were all very competitive Sailors. My Baybird usually sailed without a counselor on Race days. Also, I was on the Nile when we got stuck on a sand bar (low tide) at the OSB. Does anyone know what happened to the Master Sailor Boards that lined the walls around the Dinning Hall? I've been in Southern California for almost 30 years now, but I often long for the feeling I had as a kid on the Cape. Daysailor, are you a Carpenter? I noticed that Jim Nathanson - Sailing instructor when I was there - is associated with one of the Yacht clubs on the bay.
daysailor4

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 01:25 pm
Re: Pleasant Bay Camp
Venoak,
I am a Carpenter. The eldest one. I remember the Nile getting stuck on the sand bar. Both Capt Jim and Jim Nathanson werent real happy with me about that. PBC always had great sailors and really taught the kids well, but i always felt that jim Nathanson taught me the most about sailing. Both my brother and sister were at PBC during those years. Do you remember them? My sister lives in northern california and my brother just moved to south california. As for the Master sailor boards, i think Capt Jim may still have some of them. he lieves in Maine and I heard from him about a year ago. I am not sure if you remember, but we had my boat at PBC for each summer for the month of august and used to race it . I also miss those days. well stay in touch and If you know of anyone else from that time, let them know about this blog..
venoak wrote:
Daysailor,
I was a camper at Pleasant Bay (Sailing) Camp 1970 - 73. Master Sailor all three years and won the Camp Sailing Cup one year as skipper. I had great sailors as my crew. I still have the Master Sailor award plates. I fondly remember those Summers. I remember that we were all very competitive Sailors. My Baybird usually sailed without a counselor on Race days. Also, I was on the Nile when we got stuck on a sand bar (low tide) at the OSB. Does anyone know what happened to the Master Sailor Boards that lined the walls around the Dinning Hall? I've been in Southern California for almost 30 years now, but I often long for the feeling I had as a kid on the Cape. Daysailor, are you a Carpenter? I noticed that Jim Nathanson - Sailing instructor when I was there - is associated with one of the Yacht clubs on the bay.
fishlegs

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 01:41 pm
track meets
do you all remember the CCC track meets? I was at camp Kirkland and we competed with Tonset, Namequoit and Viking, where we usually did pretty well. On the other hand in baseball, we were pathetic against all of them/you.

Are all three of those camps now extinct?
0 Replies

deetch25

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 05:12 pm
Camp Namequoit 66'-77'
How bizarre to find this thread. I was there 11 summers from 66 to 77 My name is Frank DeSimone and I remember getting initiated by Doug Kaplan for the PBIR, seaweed and crap spread over you.

But who could forget the nurse from England, the blonde?

Love to hear from anyone, Dave Noble was still the nicest guy I ever met.

Does anyone remember the kid who burned down the outer beach house?
commodore

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 07:43 am
I don't believe this!
Frank,
Thanks for the compliment. Don't remember who burned down the beach house. Have to ask Dougie about that. He has a great memory. Do remember when you were painting the pier and got stuck in the middle with paint on both sides. How are you? Where are you? I've been in Mass. for the past 28 years. Couldn't get away after Namequoit. Ran into Mike Haddad, now a TV weatherman in Manchester, N.H., about a year ago. Al is retired but still visits Art every year. Let me know what you are doing.
Dave Nobil
commodore

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 07:48 am
Re: Camp Namequoit 66'-77'
Frank,
Thanks for the compliment. Don't remember who burned down the beach house. Have to ask Dougie about that. He has a great memory. Do remember when you were painting the pier and got stuck in the middle with paint on both sides. How are you? Where are you? I've been in Mass. for the past 28 years. Couldn't get away after Namequoit. Ran into Mike Haddad, now a TV weatherman in Manchester, N.H., about a year ago. Al is retired but still visits Art every year. Let me know what you are doing.
Dave Nobil

deetch25 wrote:
How bizarre to find this thread. I was there 11 summers from 66 to 77 My name is Frank DeSimone and I remember getting initiated by Doug Kaplan for the PBIR, seaweed and crap spread over you.

But who could forget the nurse from England, the blonde?

Love to hear from anyone, Dave Noble was still the nicest guy I ever met.

Does anyone remember the kid who burned down the outer beach house?
Jerry Carbone

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:07 pm
Namequoit camper 71', 72'
I don't know you Frank, however I attended Namequoit in 71 and 72.

Had good times, but I hated the dark blue bathing suits!

Snuck out of camp one time in a canoe to get candy at the local store with two older campers. They picked me to sit and wait in the bottom of the canoe while they ran to the store. I tried it the next year and got caught.

I remember running to the candy shack after dinner, always came in second to this one guy I could not beat, older dark hair?

I also remember a few guys...

Jay Solomon and Alex from NY

Two brothers from NY, big Mets fans called each other bro. Older brother played an endless game of cards in his cabin and kept the score on the walls.

Three brothers from Texas, good sailors and boat builders.

And a buddy who lived in New Orleans, seemed like a long way away for a kid from New England.
0 Replies

deetch25

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 05:36 pm
@commodore,
dave,

email me at [email protected]

0 Replies

Hughwc

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:50 am
@slidetax,
I'll take you up on tht round. We must have been cabin mates those years.

I was in Comet in 72 (Remember with Bruce and Gordon as Counselors). Whister in 73 with Bart and Gordon, and Dutchman in 75 with Ted and Noel

Hughwc

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 03:51 pm
@debraswolf,
pleasant bay camp
Mark:
I remember PBC - Pleasant Bay Camp - I was a camper there for many summers in the 70's. It was located in S. Orleans, MA. I have been to the area recently - most of the camp is no longer there - new homes built on the site overlooking Little Pleansant Bay. The tennis court is still there and part of Main Deck is now part of a new home. Also, Nature Shack was still there too. I have no idea what happened to the owners - the Melchers (aka Captan Jim).

Debraswolf:

After a little Googling I found a link of what Capt Jim has been doing. He has built a new boat and has sailed to quite a few places. here is the link

http://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/Alert.htm

0 Replies

danbeardsley

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:24 am
NAMEQUOIT!
Google is truly an amazing service.

Dan Beardsley. I was a Camper-CIT-Counselor from 1979-1986. Windward, N, P, Chateau, Leeward, P, Leeward, Q. Reading through the discussion thread brings back many many memories. Those summers on the Cape were some of the best I have ever had.
There were many names I remembered: Ivan Wasserman, Jon Duskin, Greg Schwartz, Todd Schroeder, Charlie Shimberg, Mark Kraft, Dan Beardsley, Billy Ortner, Eric Orda (Kochendorfer), Sebastian Fornier Inigo Fernandez, David Slade, Mike Cohen, Will Minton, Beeker, Nicolas Fournier, Adam Marsh, Field Ogden, Ty Schlobohm, Shuey Hosoi, Dan Shrag, Micah Zimmerman, Beaver Taylor, Steve Monowitz, Drew Levine, Matt Saurage, Peter Levine, Dave Noble, Kieth Schroeder, Jeff Horner, Andy Seibert, Greg Zlotnic, John Heron, the Haddads, and of course Art Farnham.

I still have many of my pennants and the patches (archery & riflery). I too hope that the dining hall has some of that “stuff.” If you look at the satellite pictures on the internet, it looks like one of the houses was built into the old dining hall building.

Who remembers the geniuses who tried to sail to Avalon in the Day Sailor one afternoon in 1983 and broke the centerboard trying to tack into that little bay where the girls kept their boats? (I was one)

I think that one of the posts indicated that Art Farnham still lives up on Pilgrim Lake. He was an outstanding role model and mentor. I have two sons that I would have loved to send to Namequoit. On top of the sailing, racing and other activities the camaraderie is something that will stay with me forever.

It would be great to establish contact again. Send an me eMail if you have a chance ([email protected]).
CapeFanatic

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:04 am
@slidetax,
Slidetax,
I'll buy the second round. I was at PBC just before you, 1968-1971. I was just looking at the most recent updates to this thread, and I was suddenly reminded of the time in 1971 when another kid and I snuck (sneaked?) out of camp during rest hour (thinking we were extremely cool) and walked all the way to the local general store to buy illicit candy (yeah, we were so cool that we were nervously looking over our shoulders every few seconds expecting to see a posse looming behind us) . Of course we got caught coming back to camp, and did we ever get reamed by Cap'n Jim!! I think I had a number of clashes with him that year, as I was entering a pre-adolescent rebellious period, but I loved the place anyhow. It's so strange to see people posting here who are referring to their children...for me, in my mind, all the folks at PBC are frozen in time, just as they were so many years ago.
jbkinca

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:31 am
@deetch25,
Frank, I remember you. I was at Namequoit from 72-80,82. I came across this threat looking for a Namequoit logo to start a Linkedin group. The memories of camp on the Cape in those years are some of my fondest! Jeff Kise.
jbkinca

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:37 am
@commodore,
The amazing power of the internet! Dave, I share Frank's sentiment and have the fondest memories of those years. My family was nearly able to move to Orleans . . . alas 6 years later we're on the other coast in Carmel, CA. Starting to make sailing friends here, although nothing compares to sailing in the Northeast. I was thinking of starting a Namequoit Group on LinkedIn. I still talk to Scott Anderson a lot and Jeff Studley periodically. Take care, Jeff Kise.
Henri Rauschenbach

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 09:24 pm
PBIR's - Hi - I'm a former sailing master for the Cape Cod Sea Camps and we have an annual alumni regatta at Courageous Sailing Center on Boston Harbor in Charleston every year. Several years ago some guys who went to Namequoit sailed with us. We now think it would be fun to have a PBIR Alumni Race for all the folks who used to sail it at CYC. If there is an interest in this, please contact me. We will organize it: Henri Rauschenbach, Alumni Director, Cape Cod Sea Camps, Brewster, MA 02631 508-896-3451 or [email protected]
Henri Rauschenbach

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:32 pm
Any interest to reconstruct the PBIR's in Boston Harbor at Courageous Sailing Center this spring? CCSC runs an Alumni Regatta there every spring and the thought was maybe would be fun to open it up to all the CYC camps. Henri Rauschenbach/[email protected]
0 Replies

sail

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 09:29 pm
@commodore,
David,
I can not believe I found this site. We had some great times. Remember Ted Gilman and all the wonderful sailing experiences. I still remember you crashing your car into a house. Where are you living? Married? Kids?
All the best.
Ted Baker
pbccup

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:49 pm
I too can't believe I found this site. I think often of PBC - my whole family went there (McNallys). While I hardly ever sail, I think it would be a hoot to sail in a PBIR again.
Tracy
pbccup

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:54 pm
@daysailor4,
Where is Chuck? I would love to see pictures from those days. I was a camper from about '72 to '76. I was actually just entertaining creating a facebook page to see if anyone would join.