SealPoet

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:41 pm
Monument Beach... just past the public marina is a bridge to a private island, part of which is the ancestral summer home. Little bit o' paradise, five minutes off the Bourne Bridge. Was there for a short visit Thanksgiving, because my mother (Falmouth) had a house full.

My old summer camp is now condos in Orleans. Nauset with my kids every summer 'cept this last 'cuz it was cold and rainy most of the time. My old summer job is still a small grocery store, passed ownership four times since, but the place is still pretty much the same.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:44 pm
aaah...

I was going through some old photos this weekend and came across some good memories. We rented a very cool old house in Brewster for many years until the owners wanted to rent no more (or at least not to us). It had a private beach <sigh>.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:03 pm
mercantile mall i think it's called, across from ace, where the beachbreak is. i think it's the same people but not sure.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:10 pm
yep, that's the name of that restaurant! The Beachbreak....
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:21 pm
wild place in the summer, my kids love it, i only go sometimes in the winter. too rowdy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:24 pm
I've only been for breakfast... rowdy you say? Sounds fun!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:26 pm
It would be so much fun to meet you guys it seems like I have known y'all forever. Maybe this spring, like May that would be good. When I was in the Boston area in 85 it was August, way hot the whole week but not as hot at Tejas, hmm, maybe August would be the best time to get outta Cow Town.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:28 pm
August is a hugh tourist time here - all summer is really. May would be better for ease of travel and for a little sense of solitude.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:33 pm
The major highway on Cape Cod is route 6. A picturesque drive is route 6A which follows the shore on the bay side. Down in Chatham or Eastham thereabouts the two roads join for a brief way then split again. At the point that they split there used to be a famous sign saying:

' Provincetown Either Way'

People used to say, 'That's Provincetown alright!' Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:38 pm
haha!
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:41 pm
don't come in august Joanne, you'll hate it, too much traffic, crowded, too many tourists. before the middle of june or after labor day is best. if you hit it right it get's kinda quiet after the 2nd week in august but i wouldn't bet on it.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:42 pm
sealpoet

I always liked Monument beach.
My ex and I rented a cottage there in 1972 or '73
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 03:42 pm
It'll be interesting to see what happens when the aquifer is finally poisoned...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 05:07 pm
Eef, I hope we get back before anything's poisoned!

We go to the Cape every year (have for the past 5 years), to -- ack! pre-senior moment! I can't remember the name of the town!

It'll come to me, in the middle of the night, I'll wager.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 06:15 pm
My mother brought me to the Cape as a child...ALWAYS to Yarmouthport....even then I was like..arent there any other towns?

Then, the family decided to do one weekend there together every year....Hyannis.

ho hum after a while
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 07:01 pm
just after labour day was divinely lovely. the roads going south but saying north are interesting. the back roads and ice cream are FINE!
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 07:08 pm
i know what you mean beth, rt 28 from orleans goes south to chatham, but the sign says north. rt 6 heads east but you are actually going north.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 07:14 pm
I enjoyed the adventure of driving around the cape with l'k - sans map - just following our whim and the 'SHOE SALE" signs.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 07:21 pm
kinda hard to get lost here with only 2 main roads....you really used a map to get to the shoe stores?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 07:31 pm
no map
no map at all
0 Replies