mongkut4

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:04 am
@Gozzard 44,
I was at Namequoit around the same time, 78 - 80 (if memory serves), The last cabin I was in was Chateau in 80 (I think) but I left halfway through the summer. My favorite memories was watching 'Billy Jack' for the first time in the library, trips to Nantucket and the Lightship, Nauset beach and the onion rings, Bloody Benny, care packages, some of my counselors were Jeff Horner (Chateau I think), Doug Kaplan, ........uhh I guess I need to dig out the old photos. Cool that this thread still exists even if the posts are not often updated
0 Replies

Jay Edwards

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 10:08 am
Re: Namequoit
Jay Edwards <[email protected]>
In the summer of 1952 I attended Camp Namequoit with my cousin John Bergaman. We were both from New York and joined the group from Baton Rouge at Grand Central Station. Those boys from Baton Rouge were about as alien a bunch of kids as I can remember -- totally different accents, interests and world view. That summer we fought the Civil War (pardon, Waawaa of Northern Aggression) all over again. You would have thought it was 1866! I remember that I was one of only two Northerers in a cabin of Baton Rouge boys. Now, we never paid much attention to the Civil War in school. They, on the other hand, knew the details of every single battle, and how the South had won them all. Even the names of the battles were different.
Finally, one night, their unhappiness at having to reside with two Damn Yankees came to a head, and a fight started between me and their ring-leader, a tall, red-headed boy. I was smaller and thinner, but I had had some boxing lessons in my home town in Pittsburgh, PA. The cabin Councillor stopped the fight with a promise that it would be taken up the next day. Until then, I didn't even know that Namequoit had boxing, but we entered the ring that morning with large boxing gloves but no helmets. A large crowd of cheering kids surrounding the open-air ring. We were in the middle of the second round and I began to prevail with some well placed left hooks, when suddenly the fight was called off. I was told that it was because a boy in another simultaneous match had just suffered a concussion, but I always suspected that it was because they refused to see a Baton Rouge boy get beat. Thus ended the second Civil War.
P.S. For the last 45 years, I have been a professor at LSU in Baton Rouge. Go Tigers!
0 Replies

Cabin 6

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:27 pm
@sailoramy,
I also went to Quanset around 1960.Too Much was also my favorite horse!! I remember the riding instructors name was Honey and her assistant was Connie.I used to pick carrots in the garden when I was coming up from the beach,but I think I ate them myself.I was in a cabin near the archery field...I think.
0 Replies

Chopper1

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:09 pm
Hey all this is Chip Collingwood (originally from Pittsburgh)from the summer of '69 @ Namequoit. Just found this forum!
I was back on the Cape for the first time since, this past weekend. Did a little digging and found some info at the Orleans Historical Society. Also gave Todd Thayer a call and paid the Farnhams a visit to thank them for putting up with me. It seems that I was rather home sick for first couple weeks of camp...and a PITA. Went up to the old property and played a game of tether ball with my son at the pole around the corner from the tennis courts, walked around as much as I could to try to get my bearings.
I still have my old patches from camp, archery/riflery certificates. Also found some of the camp postcards I had sent home, and the Jibe Ho from '69. Found the pictures of our cabin "Schooner", the picture of CITs, and staff.
I remember the trip to Martha's Vineyard, Nauset Beach, Avalon social, 10 and under baseball with Farm Camp, and loosing 11-10 to Viking. I traded one of my Namequoit shirts to a guy on the Viking team..(had that shirt for a long time growing up) making Turks Heads, tether ball nonstop, skinny dippin in Pilgrim Lake...what great times they were!
I was able to rent a daysailer the next day from Nauti Janes and take my 5 year old son out on Pleasant Bay for an hour or so. It seems that I have got the bug again after 40 years...been looking into daysailers since we returned to Richmond, VA.
Take care all..If anyone is ever down this way shoot me a line

Chip
0 Replies

malcolm riggs

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 02:01 pm
@slidetax,
I was a Whistler in '66. She was a beautiful blonde Lightning . She phoned me after camp, and said she wasn't going back the next year since I wasn't going to be there....I put her off because I was ashamed that my parents were divorcing. Never met anyone again I loved so much, an can still see her angelic face.

Malcolm Riggs
[email protected]
0 Replies

Ehschaefer

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 10:56 am
@pbccup,
Hi Tracy,
Not sure if you remember me, I'm Elisabeth Hatab and I knew you at PBC in 1975 and 1976. I have a black &white picture of you in front of the Beetlecat cabin.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 10:07 am
Quote:
Cape Cod train service to begin

At exactly 9:36 this morning, the CapeFlyer — the MBTA’s new train service from South Station
to Hyannis — set off on its inaugural run.

The service is set to officially debut next weekend, but several hundred T and commuter rail
officials, along with general train fanatics, boarded the car today to ride along on its trial run.

Next weekend will be the first time in about 25 years service from Boston to Cape Cod will be
offered.

Fred Breimyear, 69, of Wellesley, was the first in line to board the train. For him, the opportunity
to take a trip on the CapeFlyer before most people was one he couldn’t pass up.

“Why would we not want to be on this train?” said Breimyear, a confessed transit devotee and
member of the Massachusetts Bay Railroad Enthusiasts. He had already scoped out the spot he
wanted — top floor of the double-decker car closest to the front, left side, so he could get the
best view.

His wife, Adele Langevin, was right there alongside him — though, she admitted, she was a little
less exhilarated.

“I’m here because I’m married to him,” she joked. “I have my Kindle.”

Saturday’s train was scheduled to take passengers down to the Cape, where they would be met
with a press conference and the chance to take a bus tour of Hyannis. After that, the train and
its passengers were to return to South Station in the afternoon.

Beverly Scott, general manager of the MBTA, took a window seat in the bar car, right up front.
She was prepared for a lesiurely trip, a Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee in hand and a copy of the
New York Times at her side.

“It’s like being able to get a little slice of heaven,” Scott said, “and you don’t even have to drive!”

In its previous iterations, train service to Cape Cod was shuttered because of low ridership and
the need for state government subsidies. But Scott said she is confident this reboot will be a success.

“I think this one’s going to be a no-brainer,” Scott said.
(globe)
0 Replies

Redplane

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 08:34 pm
@Gozzard 44,
I was a camper there for a handful of years in the 80s, at the tail end before Nammy closed its doors. Just read Art passed away a few days ago. He was an amazing guy. I agree with Keith, I learned a lot about sailing and life from that place - mainly from people like Keith and Micah.

Adam Bornstein

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx?n=arthur-edwin-farnham&pid=180158735&referrer=0&preview=True
0 Replies

Bhammatt

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 10:54 am
@quonsetkate,
Tioga’s last sail was during the summer of 1976, the year Quanset was sold. She stayed in her boathouse until the camp property was sold in 1979. She was then moved to a location near the former camp yacht club/boathouse. The high water in the storm of 1987 floated her into the adjacent marsh. She was then moved up away from the shore near the Hammatt’s house. Uncovered there she deteriorated until she was destroyed in 2009. Her transom was saved and hangs in my barn along side her anchor. Her spars, mast, boom and gaff were donated to the Osterville Historical Society. She had been built by Charles Crosby, in Osterville, in 1904 for Henry Cummings of Orleans. Camp Quanset bought her in 1909.
B Hammatt Jr
0 Replies

jjanes

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 01:39 am
Anyone know of any alumna of Quanset Sailing Camp for Girls circa '66-72?
0 Replies

Wacraneacfob

Reply Thu 10 May, 2018 10:31 pm
@TimJ,
Mr. Johnson, nice to know you're on this side of the grass. I'm in Newport, RI Saturday sailing after all these years - Bill C.
0 Replies

cathymc

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2024 09:42 pm
My father Conrad McEachern attended Camp Namequoit in the 40s. He was from a small town north of Shreveport called Vivian. my grandparents sent him on the train through Chicago and over to Cape Cod. He met his best friend Pendery Gibbens (from Baton Rouge) on the train with other campers. They went to LSU and were fraternity brothers and lifelong friends.
We toured the remnants of the camp around 1996-1997. What a beautiful place for a camp—i wish it could still be active today. An amazing place with many happy memories for so many. He always talked about sailing, and hot dogs in special buns (different than what was in Louisiana back in the day).
Would love to see photos from that era if anyone has any to post.
⛵️ Cathy McEachern, Dallas
0 Replies