Swimming with seals -- or not

George

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 06:45 am
Chatham's Harbor Master's office issued a public notice after the sightings
Thursday, saying the waters surrounding Chatham are "now a year-round home
to a few thousand seals." Seals are a main source of food for large sharks, and as
recently as August 28, a large shark was seen feeding on the body of a seal near
Chatham's waters, the notice said.

It advised people to avoid swimming near seals.

I love that.

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 07:40 am
@George,
Me too.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:59 am
@George,
I agree. The Farralon Islands off the California coast have had these conditions for a long time now. Seals are Great White food. Swimmers on surf boards (or just in the water) look enough like seals to a big dumb hungry shark to put swimmers at risk.

Once the seal population around Chatham returned to normal levels this was bound to happen.

The ocean is a giant soup bowl for everything that lives in it. Pass at your own risk.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:26 pm
Sharks don't like the taste of people but that won't stop them from biting you if you look like a seal.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 06:28 pm
A bunch of Great White sharks have also been spotted and they are discouraging people from swimming.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 04:06 am
have you heard the story of bethany hamilton from hawaii. she was on her surfboard, looking just like a seal and lost an arm.
http://talbronstein.org/archive/2004_01_bethany_h.htm
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 10:40 am
@George,
Well for me the issue would be moot. If you saw me in the water with seals it wouldn't be me swimming with the seals but me drowning nearby some seals. I can't swim or even doggy paddle to save my life.

So, if you see me in the water with a couple of seals, I would like to ask in advance for a life preserver ring, s'il vous plait.

But this whole scenario of people being potentially compelled to swim out to see the seals sounds like its a situation ripe for future Darwin Award winners. Wink There are bound to be more then several yahoos who will openly ignore the official warnings and lament that fact after the fact if they are victims of a shark attack and are lucky enough to survive.
0 Replies