Sidecut

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 01:19 pm
Just got back from the Viking reunion. Quanset Camper, Nick Shephard was there as was P. J. (Pam Rook) Adler. She was from Quanset.
0 Replies

sbodow

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 06:40 am
Namequoit
Just found this discussion Googling for Namequoit, after going sailing last week for the first time in years and getting nostalgic. A little sad to find it's gone. I was there 1980-82, in Leeward, T and Chateau...
Ivan I'd love to be in touch w/any of those guys you mentioned too. Drop a line if you ever found anyone. -Steve Bodow
0 Replies

tpkeogh

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:00 pm
Camp Namequoit
I was a camper 70-72 I know one of my cabins was Leeward. I also remember Roger Carol, Art, the Boston Whaler that was there and of course CJ. I had lots of fun there.
0 Replies

mongkut4

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:06 am
Re: Camp Namequoit
It's too bad that so few former Namequoit campers can connect using this forum. It would be great if we had a campnamequoit.org of our own.

I think I found Father Karl who used to tell the Bloody Benny tale. I can't imaging there are too many Father Karl A. Zeuners. I'm thinking about dropping him a note to see if he would be willing to jot down the Bloody Benny story.

If I remember correctly someone had posted a link to a satellite image of the camp in the days before it was torn down. I'll have to look for that.

Somewhere I still have some pictures of camp, but I think my other items like patches all got lost long ago.

I just thought I'd post this to keep the thread alive.

Rob

(Namequoit 78 - 80)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:08 am
So . . . is a cape cod a fish that wears a little cloak?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 10:04 pm
Sometimes a large cloak. Of seaweed. With a seashell clasp. And a top hat.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 10:17 pm
Next time Setana is in Boston take him to the Statehouse and show him the Sacred Cod.
0 Replies

Champlin77

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 11:06 am
Camp Namequoit Camper
My name is Bill Champlin, and I attended Camp Namequoit from 1958 to 1963. I have fond memories of those days. I have been back to visit the Camp two times once in 1988 and once in the 90's. It is all prime real estate now. I still have a group picture of the entire campers from 1958.
My email is [email protected]. I would love to hear from former campers.
0 Replies

Champlin77

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 03:31 pm
Camp Namequoit
My name is Bill Champlin, and I firts attended Camp Namequoit as a 7 year old boy. I was very homesick the first day or so but got used to the camp and its activities. I attended from 1958 to 1963. I still have a picture of the 1958 members taken on the softball field across from the infirmary. I also have some archery certificates from 1958. I remember going to the ocean in Pleasant Bay and catching black sea bass. What about the old liberty ship that sat on a sand bar in the bay. I say jets straff the ship one summer day. I love Cape Cod and last visited Chatham, MA in 2000. I am 56 years old now but will always remember the happy times on the Cape. Email me at [email protected] if you so desire. What happened to all the banner awards in the old dining hall?
linnell

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 07:31 pm
Cape Cod
I was a camper at Pleasant Bay Camp in the summer of '79. I think it closed shortly thereafter. Best summer of my childhood. Is it still there?
daysailor4

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 11:16 am
Re: Cape Cod
linnell wrote:
I was a camper at Pleasant Bay Camp in the summer of '79. I think it closed shortly thereafter. Best summer of my childhood. Is it still there?

I beleive that PBC closed after the next summer. I bleieve some of the old cabins are still there, but most of the land was sold and there are private homes overlooking little bay...
0 Replies

beartrade

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 04:06 pm
Camp Namequoit
My God, what a stroll down memory lane this thread has been. I was at Camp Namequoit from 1979 - 1981. I was in Q cabin in '79, Chateau in '80 and was a CA in Halyard for three weeks in '81 before getting shown the door for getting caught drinking. Even then, Art Farnham was a true gentleman.

That summer in Chateau had to have been one of the best summers of my life. We felt like kings and the pranks we pulled were non-stop!!! Jeff Horner was our counselor and what a group of guys: Dave Frifield, Chris Hastings, John Roach, Hubert Deguise, Ben Mendes.....

I visited about 7 years ago and like everyone else discovered it was upscale housing now. I would have loved to have sent my son there.
0 Replies

linnell

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:09 pm
beartrade,

This world is getting way too small. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I am quite sure that Jeff Horner was my counselor at PBC in '79. I remember him as a tall man with slightly long blond hair (although everybody was taller than me back then!).

Thanks to you and all the others for helping to bring back some of those memories. Although it has been close to 30 years, I can remember it as if it were last summer.....
0 Replies

chateauopen2

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 03:03 pm
Re: Camp Namequoit
I was at Namequoit from '76 to '83. It's great to see these posts and remember those days. I'd like to add a little to the memories:

Do you guys remember the "color wars", which didn't go by that name at Namequoit. For a few years they had names for the teams like Marlins and Tarpons. I think they ended with relay races that involved everyone on the team. As I remember it, those climaxed with a rowboat race out to the CJ to retrieve one of the younger campers who upon returning to land would run to ring the meal bell to end the race.

How about the mail room and waiting for care packages. I remember being able to read some of the names on the packages through the window, and we would wait there salivating after lunch until our counselor would get there to retrieve the mail.

For a while the nurse and her husband had a sheep dog that whenever the meal bell was rung would run back and forth from the mess hall to the infirmary on the other side of the camp, nearly running kids over along the way.

How about when the canteen was open after a meal? Haddad would exhort us all to "WALK"!!!! And then there would be bodies flying towards the canteen to get candy. I think the "walk" business began because some kid fell running one time and broke his arm.

No one seems to have noted all the Latin campers who attended Namequoit. I always thought it was great to have kids from Venezuela, Spain and Mexico with us. Definitely not the routine kids from home.

Namequoit was where the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry solidified for me. I was from NYC, and remember the Red Sox fans making fun of my World Champions hat from '77 during the summer of '78. Ha! They got paid back well for their insolence!

Mid-summer "Odin is coming" calls during meals . . . Everyone would chant "PBIR! PBIR!" I get chills thinking about it.

Trophy ceremonies at the end of the summer . . . That's when trophies actually meant something, not now when every kid gets one. I still have mine.

Green-head flies . . .

Pizza days . . . We'd keep count of the number of slices we ate to see who could eat the most. We had whomever was getting the food from the counter run as fast as they could, drop the pie off and run right back up to get more.

Sunday brunches outdoors, with Farnham making eggs, and sugar cereals and donuts available! Those were the best meals.

I've got more, but I'll stop. Hopefully others can add.

Billy O.
0 Replies

namequoit76

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 11:40 pm
John Heron was the cook at Namequoit
0 Replies

slidetax

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:54 pm
Pleasant Bay Camp
I went to PBC in 72, 73 and 75 when I was 10, 11 and 13. My brothers and sisters all went before me.

Several of the other posters on this thread must have been there with me. I was in Comet, Whistler and Flying Dutchman and made Master Sailor my last year.

I'm now sending my son to what appears to be the closest thing I can find to PBC, which is Cape Cod Sea Camps. My Nephews went there and liked it, but I'm sure my nostaligic recollections will never be satisfied by reality.

Any other PBC alums from that era ever want to get together, I always buy the first round.
capeguy

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 12:04 pm
I went to Viking for 3 summers, actually 1/2 summers, around the 79-81 timeframe, not sure to be honest. Found this thread as most did by google and am now spending the afternoon remembering those times.

I visit the Cape often (Truro mostly) and have boated in Little Pleasant and always check out Viking. Looks the same. Hard to believe some of the old boats are there.

My last year, my then Viking pal Tony Roth led us to victory in PBIR winning, I believe, all four races he skippered. Never heard from him again.

It is a shame that my kids will not have the chance to have experiences like that.
0 Replies

commodore

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 08:51 pm
Camp Namequoit
I was at Namequoit from 1966-1980. Can't believe I found this forum. You guys are bringing back so many memories I have forgotten. Charlie, you have a great memory! Are your trampoline skills still good? There has never been a reunion since the late 1970's. Would anyone be interested? Blog back.
0 Replies

daysailor4

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:41 am
Re: Pleasant Bay Camp
slidetax wrote:
I went to PBC in 72, 73 and 75 when I was 10, 11 and 13. My brothers and sisters all went before me.

Several of the other posters on this thread must have been there with me. I was in Comet, Whistler and Flying Dutchman and made Master Sailor my last year.

I'm now sending my son to what appears to be the closest thing I can find to PBC, which is Cape Cod Sea Camps. My Nephews went there and liked it, but I'm sure my nostaligic recollections will never be satisfied by reality.

Any other PBC alums from that era ever want to get together, I always buy the first round.

Slidetax,
I was at PBC first as a camper from 67 to 69 and then as a counsellor from 72 to 75. My brother and sister were also campers during this time. I was a sailing counsellor and lived in all the cabins you mentioned. Those were great sailing years for PBC. Both my brother and sister also made Master Sailor while at PBC. I miss those years alot and the camp. I did hear from Capt Jim about a year ago and he is living in Maine. I also heard from another counsellor during that time and he is also living in New England. He told me that Chuck Melcher has alot of pictures from form those days and we joked thatw e should set up a web site for them
If i am ever up there again, i will take you up on the first round.
cheers...
northofthecape

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:03 pm
Camp Viking
Hey Cape Guy...I was at Viking from 76 to 83, and was a good Viking pal of Tony Roth as well. I think I went skiing with him one or two times after Viking, but have not heard from him since either...great skipper, smart guy, great times. Sending my oldest off to his first overnight camp tomorrow, have to go to New Hampshire though.