maplemkr1

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 06:32 am
@daysailor4,
Excellent collection of pictures! Real blast from the past! Thanks for taking the time to respond. Mark
0 Replies

sailoramy

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 04:50 pm
I attended Quanset in the early 60's. Loved it there. I remember the sharpies, the baybirds and the Ticonderoga that Papa Hammett sailed to take us on overnights. My favorite horse was "Too Much" and I used to pick carrots in the vegetable garden for him. What an idyllic experience. All children should have such nice memories.
sailoramy

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 04:54 pm
p.s. Pam Rook was at Quanset when I was there. Saw her mentioned in an earlier post. Another camper I remember was Aimee Schwietzer. There were terrific counselors too, but unfortunately I cant' remember any names...
Amy Nolan Woodruff
San Diego
0 Replies

northofthecape

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 08:34 am
@nicola bitossi,
Nicola, Viking actually has NOT been redeveloped. You can still drive down Namequoit Rd pretty close to the camp. There is a gate there with No Trespassing signs. This past spring I parked there and walked in with my family. There is no development, but also almost no sign of the former camp...I think I could see one old building, maybe the library or where the Lincolns lived, being overcome by vines and brush. When we were leaving, a woman who lives next door got a bit upset about us walking around...but I have no idea why, there was nothing to damage. Might be better to access from the beach if you had a boat or canoe.
0 Replies

Shanghai

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 04:14 am
@crazymama864,
Ann are you married to the Doug Kaplan of Namequoit. Budish, Mcdonald, Jones,Eileen, at Avalon era
0 Replies

wrigct

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:51 pm
@daysailor4,
I was also a camper in PBC, must have been 70-72. I was in Cape Cod on a family vacation a year ago and tried to look for the old camp but could not find it. Can still sing some of the songs ("Cheer for Pleasant Bay Camp, long may she live..."). Was a Quahog and a Master Sailor in 72, won the Chattam regatta and the sailor cup. Best summers a kid could ever have. I used to have pix, no longer can find them, but I did come across some old PBC and CYC pennants the last time I moved 3 or 4 years ago. Great memories.
daysailor4

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 04:15 pm
@wrigct,
hello, This is Ted Carpenter. I was a camper at PBC from 67 to 69 and a counselor from 72 to 75. If you are interested in seing alot of old pictures and reconnecting with old friends please check out the following face book site. You dont need to be a member to see the pictures. So just to make a guess is this Charlie Wright?...
http://www.facebook.com/s.php?sid=af6b2c3924d711733af5be758c03ac4a&init=q&sf=r&k=200000010&n=-1&q=pleasant%20bay#/group.php?sid=af6b2c3924d711733af5be758c03ac4a&gid=37843083609 .
0 Replies

Betsuli

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:11 am
@pbccup,
I saw Chuck last weekend Aug 22,2009 at the Orleansfarmersmarket.org
To see a lot of pics from PBC days go to Facebook their are hundreds
I grew up on the bay and still farm shellfish there
JW
0 Replies

sm2sm2

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 01:47 pm
I was a just listening oldies radio when a Paul McCartney’s Wings tune brought me back to summers at Namequiot and the pine forest around Leeward cabin. I was a camper each summer from 1970 " 1974, I think. Unfortunately my recollections are fragmented and all my photos, pins, patches and certificates were lost in a tragic self storage fiasco. But who could forget a month away on the Cape at sailing camp. Thank goodness for the tennis, shooting, archery, swimming, trips to the beach and Camps Avalon and Quanset, because to be frank, the thought of sailing solo on pleasant bay and not being able make it back in was one I never could shake.

The Poison Ivy, The junior life guard tests, Hospital corners and the woolen navy blue blanket with the “N”. I think that battered trunk is still at my parent’s house somewhere.

What better way to build character and self confidence that to be drafted onto the swim team with a borrowed speedo and surf trunk tanlines.

Care Packages and Charleston Chews from the commissary.

Does anyone remember a particularly stormy crossing to Nantucket in 1970? God did I get sick that day. How about the field trip to P-Town in the rain in 74. Neither my wife or daughter thinks “the old fork hole in the bottom of a bug juice cup joke” is particularly funny, but I still think its hilarious 35 years later. Old Golds anyone?

The camp mixer with the girls of Avalon. The rock and roll band that played our party and my introduction to Steppenwolf’s “Born to be Wild” and “Magic Carpet Ride”. Who were those talented camp counselors? Anyone remember a beautiful young lady and Avalon camper Candy?
0 Replies

murray

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:51 am
Had fun at Namequoit for the one year I was there. I was in charge of the waterfront and my wife was the secretary. The one night off per week was not enough, but it was a good experience.
0 Replies

Scout123

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 01:21 pm
@craig fenno,
Froggy: David Streett here. I stumbled upon this thread, or whatever it is and your name cought my eye. I'm following you: I went to St Lawrence ('83), and am a lawyer in St Louis.

You turned me on to, among other things, Little Feat way back in 1975. I havent been the same since.

Keep up the good work.

David
0 Replies

adam mott

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 05:20 pm
@danbeardsley,
i was at namequoit (best summers of my life) from 1950-1960. started as middler and ended as sailing counselor. cj thayer was boss. brooks came later as did art farnham. still friends with a lot of the folks i met there. my sister went to avalon. what memories... loved it all..
0 Replies

adam mott

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 05:29 pm
@commodore,
my name is adam mott and i was at namequoit from 1950 - 1960. loved every minute of it. started as a middler and ended up as sailing counselor.
0 Replies

adam mott

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 05:33 pm
@danbeardsley,
my name is adam mott (namequoit 1950-1960) and we had a group we called the phantom flippers. we swam across the little avalon bay in the dead of nite and pulled all their rowboats out to the moorings. then went thru the camp and left phantom flippers cards on each cabin door. then swam back and went back to sleep.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 06:29 pm
Of all the years I growing up in Massachusetts, I've only the pleasure of visiting Cape Cod 2 or 3 times.

But I do love this song so much I hope you don't mind the group's utter brashness...
The band is Vampire Weekend and their tongue in cheek song is called Walcott:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In9pX_E-krY
Quote:
Walcott, don't you know that it's insane?
Don't you want to get out of Cape Cod, out of Cape Cod tonight?
Walcott, Mystic seaport is that way
Don't you know that your life would be lost out of Cape Cod tonight?

Walcott, the bottleneck is a **** show
Hyannisport is a ghetto out of Cape Cod tonight

Lobster's claw is sharp as knives
Evil feasts on human lives
The Holy Roman Empire roots for you

Walcott, all the way to New Jersey
All the way to the Garden State, out of Cape Cod tonight

Walcott, **** the women from Wellfleet
**** the bands from Provincetown
Heed my words and take flight

(Walcott, don't you know that it's insane?
Don't you want to get out of Cape Cod, out of Cape Cod tonight?)

Another version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Qgdt9tTlk
0 Replies

andiw5

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:57 am
@sailoramy,
I went to Quanset in the late 1950's. I too loved it there! There was no better way to spend a summer! I loved sailing and horseback riding and my favorite horse was Silvertail! I can still remember him. Honey was the riding instructor.

I remember we could have two freshly picked carrots every day. They were so good.

Remember singing in the DR? all those camp songs. I still remember some of them.
andiw5

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 11:32 am
@QuansetCamper,
My name is Andi (Escalette). I went to Quanset in the late 50's. I don't remember your name Nancy (you were probably younger than me) but i do remember Buffy Berg. Isn't that funny?
0 Replies

sppurdy

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:43 pm
@Ann Kaplan,
Ann- Sharon Price Purdy having a blast and lots of laughs tonight! Hi Doug! Still in Chicago, sailing with Laura Johnston Studders on Lake Michigan occasionally. Oh, these are truly the best memories- time to find the photo albums!
0 Replies

sppurdy

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:49 pm
@ChristinaDillonCohen,
Hi Christina- I, too, was an Avalon counselor in the mid- seventies. Not sure where you live but one of our daughters has attended, and is now a counselor, at an old time all-girls sailing camp in northern Wisconsin. It's lake sailing but a wonderful place called Clearwater in Minocqua, WI. It is truly another camp treasure. Sharon
0 Replies

sailoramy

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:35 pm
@andiw5,
Hi Andi,
Honey and Silvertail were still there when I was. In fact, I probably have Silvertail on an old roll of film my father took during a "horse show" on parents' weekend.
The songs were great fun - I can remember singing on the bus trips to Nauset Beach and P-Town. "Jacob's Ladder", "Angels Watching Over Me" and "Michael Rowed His Boat Ashore" still reverberate in my brain!
0 Replies