ASherpick

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 03:32 pm
@sail,
Are Quanset avalon folks allowed to post on this site? Ann Sherpick here -- Quanset 72-75 Avalon 76-81 -- something like that. PBIR revisited???? Sounds like fun....
0 Replies

ASherpick

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:38 pm
Are Quanset avalon folks allowed to post on this site? Ann Sherpick here -- Quanset 72-75 Avalon 76-81 -- something like that. PBIR revisited???? Sounds like fun....
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:44 pm
@ASherpick,
ASherpick wrote:

No idea what or who Quanset avalon folks are exactly but you're free to post away all you like. Welcome aboard a2k.
0 Replies

daysailor4

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 05:42 pm
Hey..do any of you guys from namequoit remember Billy Crane. I beleive he was a counselor there in 1973 and 1974. He also worked at PBC in 1975. If anyone knows him can you tell him about this page so we can get in touch with him...Thanks...
0 Replies

Bruce Kessler

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 01:13 pm
@daysailor4,
I attended PBC in 1971?......Attended for 6 weeks...... but took me 4 weeks to pass my swimming test. Not much sailing due to that fact but had a great time. Still remember the camp song much to the disappointment of my wife. "When the baybirds come across the line, you know that PBC is not behind....." Loved the wood working shop. Have a vague memory of one of the bigger boat sinking at it's mooring........ Something about planking had shrunk when it was out of the water....

Bruce Kessler
scoopj

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:22 am
Like many of you I spent my summers on the Cape, specifically Quanset. '68 - '72 (Gail Batchelder) and I still drag out the old pics and reminisce. They were the best summers of my life!
Lightening

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 02:15 am
@daysailor4,
Daysailor, it looks like it's been 2 years since this post, re: PBC. I've searched for years, feeling a little sentimental about camp and all the friends I 'grew up up' with over those wonderful years. I think there may be a 'jumper' out there somewhere...if you ever visit this site again, and see this would love to share some memories... Lightening
Lightening

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 02:24 am
@Bruce Kessler,
P L E A...S A N T ... B A Y spells Pleasant Bay....Wow...there IS someone else out there from camp. I was a PBC lifer...from 1965 till 73! It was my home away from home. I always recall my mother telling me that when my brother attended..he cried wanting to go home, and I cried when I had to go home.
Sailing and rowing and those lovely sailing/picnic trips to the O.S.B.
I recall with special fondness a song a friend and I made up..about the O.S.B.
Do you recall the (annoying) revelry from the camp next door that started up just before our 'rise and shine' bell ringing?
Lightening

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 02:28 am
@Bruce Kessler,
Any relation to Amy? I think we were there at the same time. Maybe there's another Kessler as well...seem to recall Kanga, and little Roo...oh the memories!
0 Replies

Lightening

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 02:46 am
@Jim Melcher,
Oh Cap'Jim! You made my day! I so often wondered what ever happened to PBC. A few of my relatives still live on the cape, but I left Mass in 78, and each year I visited home, I drove back to the Cape to see if the camp was still there.
I was a camper from 65-73 ( you may have seen a few other posts ..also from today) recalling my favorite summer memories, or more admittedly, some of my fondest childhood memories. The friends I made, and the things I learned have stayed with me over all of these years and am glad to see that there are a handful of us that share those special times. If you can believe it, I still have several of the booklets we received on the last night of camp, and of course MANY photos. I have ALL of the group pictures, and several that your sons took, that I think we could purchase(?). You may remember a song that 2 of us Turnabouts made up about Capt. Jim taking us to the O.S.B.... I hope you are well, and thank you for those wonderful years!
0 Replies

Lightening

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 03:01 am
@jbvoiceguy,
John! "Jenny" Drew...wow, it's been ...let's just say 'ages' since I've been called that. I wonder what happened to 'da Worm' as well. I have some hilarious photo's of Tom, sitting on the deck of the crafts building, near the potters wheel... getting a trim. off of his side parted long straight 'hippy' hair!
We 'had such class...with an A up the ..." if I recall one of his imfamous sayings..
50 this year and after reading some of these posts...feel 13 again...that age doesn't even seem possible.
0 Replies

daysailor4

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 12:57 pm
@Lightening,
Lightening...hello...I do actually visit this site from time to time....there is actually a better one one facebook with lots of pictures and many, many old friends. I do know a "Jumper"...If you were at PBC from 72 to 79 you will find pictures..I am not sure if you know, but Jim Melcher passed away on April 2. There are alot of details on the facebook site...do come join...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000187440925
0 Replies

gregs

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 09:43 pm
@Henri Rauschenbach,
Henri,
you posted this more than a year ago, but I only just saw it. As a former camper/counselor at Namequoit now living in Boston, would love to sail with you all at Courageous.
Greg Schwartz (PBIR 1981-83)
0 Replies

gregs

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 09:50 pm
@jbkinca,
You guys were our heroes! I was a Namequoit camper from '77-'83 and a counselor from '84-'86. I remember Jeff Kise, Scott Anderson, Ted Gilman, Ted Baker, John Mayo, ... and all the rest of you winning PBIR in 1979, in a gale! We tried to repeat your win in later years of '81-'83 and failed. Dave Nobil - you were great to me, and a wonderful cabin counselor to my brother Peter in N cabin in '79.
Greg Schwartz
0 Replies

quansetkin

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:33 am
@scoopj,
just found this site I am a QUANSET camper in'70and'71 actually im poppa granddaughter and mr hammatt's niece marygeorge hammatt and i just finished looking at our "yearbooks" and remembering what a great time it was to be able to spend 2 months each summer having such a wonderful time. i only made it to nimmie 1 and 2 but for all the old timer i see on this site you might remember twerpi or nancy (older sisters) I was reading and just happened to get on computer and looked up Quanset. Cheer then for Quanset, hail her bright name...
0 Replies

quansetkin

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:39 am
@scoopj,
you were in QT when i was in nimmie 1 and Glasshouse when i was nimmie 2 don't those words bring back memories, i was just looking through yearbooks, Cheer than for QUANSET, hail her great name....
0 Replies

Aime Schweizer

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 10:17 am
Hi, Aime Schweizer Richards, Quanset 1957 thru 1968(missed 1966 - was a bad girl in 1965 - Dorothy couldn't take a joke) and returned for more fun in 1975( didn't want to grow up)

- I have just found this sight and am thrilled to think someone may try to get some/all of us together - recently bought in So Dennis ( couldn't afford So.Orleans, boo, but there is alway hope). I swear a part of me has never left Little Pleasant Bay and never wants to. regular email is [email protected] should anyone want to touch base
Michael Hopper

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 10:16 am
@Lightening,
I too was a at PBC from '67 - 71. Do you remember the dances!?! Seems like yesterday I was dancing with Amy Goodman to Satisfaction OMG!

Michael Hopper
0 Replies

jmbbradley

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 06:11 pm
@Aime Schweizer,
Hi Aime,
I found this site last summer but just got around to pursuing finding something about Quanset.
I was a camper from 1953-57 and a sailing counselor in 1960 or 61.
We must have overlapped at some point.
I live in Denver and would love to hear back from you or any other Quanset alumnae that you know.
Melissa Bradley

[email protected]
0 Replies

Gozzard 44

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:35 am
Wow, This time of year always makes me nostalgic for summer on the Cape. Can't believe I found this thread. I attended Namequoit from 76-80 as a camper (Spinnaker, Leeward, P, Chateau and Spinnaker as a CA) and 82-87 as staff. So many good memories. I may be the only guy who went to Nammy for 10 years and NEVER heard Father Karl tell Bloody Benny. What a great way to spend a summer. Getting paid to teach sailing, tie some knots, fix some boats and hang out in the sun. I spoke to Art Farnham last summer and he and Jerry were doing well, still living on Pilgrim lake. He's well into his 80's and slowing down, but still there mentally. I could not have asked for a better first boss--a true gentleman. Brooks died soon after camp closed of an asthma attack. Louise still lives there, I think in the old dining hal,l and several of her sons live closeby. It's very hard to visit the site and see how little is left, but a few reminders are here and there--Ian Finnamore's bridge, wires on trees and benches on the ballfield. A few of the Mercs were sold to CCSC--you can see the 686 on the CCSC website! Shame that camp closed, but after Chatham changed its zoning laws the Laff's really had no choice but to close and Namm'y enrollement tanked. My brother Todd then went to CCSC for two years as Staff, and had fun, but it wasn't like Nammy.
I look back on it and realise how much I learned there-both about sailing and about life. So many great guys who taught me, and later who worked with me--Dave Noble, Criag Fenno, Lou and Mark Fiorillo, Jeff (?) Horner, Charlie, Andy, Jeff Kise, Jeff Studley, Todd, Paul Aston, Seb Fournier, Micah Zimmerman, Greg Schwartz, Dan Beardsley, Dan Schrag, Ian Finnimore and so many others whose names are gone.

Loved the PBIR ceremonies. Loved late night golf at Eastward Ho, and late night skinny dipping off the whaler or in Pilgrim Lake. REALLY loved the July 4, 1987 party at the Studley boathouse. I've been back to the Improper and the Woodshed, but things aren't the same--no more cheap beer night and everyone is so young!

So if any alum find themselves near Rochester, NY, look me up--maybe we can get out for a sail on Ontario.

Keith Schroeder
p.s. to Kirk Bishop, Doug Kaplan, Dave Noble, Jeff Kise and Lou Fiorillo, Todd still has "The Shirt"