mcdowell

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:07 pm
Camp Viking
I was a counsellor at Viking around 1975. After camp a few of the counsellors stayed around and sailed one of the "whaleboats" to Nantucket and we were stranded out by the lighthouse for several days until the wind switched and we could get into the harbor. Sailed back at night to stage harbor. I see Tom and Bonnie Lincoln every 10 years or so, last time in 2004 at the Barleyneck Inn for dinner. He's director of aquatics for the cape YMCA. She's a nurse at Cape Cod hospital. They live in Brewster. If Ced Hagenbuckle had left the camp to Tom and Bonnie Viking would probably still be going today.
0 Replies

Sidecut

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 08:29 pm
were you friends with dean chamberlain?
0 Replies

mgvan

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 12:54 pm
Camp Viking
Have you seen the Viking web site? www.campvikingcapecod.org
0 Replies

vandman

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 01:57 pm
Camp Viking
Went to Viking in the seventies, and have such memories... Anyone still talking on this thread? Would love to reconnect w/folks from that time. JK Sykes, TAG Gross, etc...

Viking ruled !

Van Ely
0 Replies

dubes88

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 08:04 am
I am a Viking camper from 1977-79. I was a camper in 78, an junior counselor in 78, and counselor in 79. We won PBIR in 78 I skippered the 3rd race and got a 2nd and I think Tim(?) skipped the others, getting 2 firsts and 2 thirds. I remember JK, Jake, (a J Giles fan). Our JC year we were labeled the RAT PACK by Tom. Is anyone going to attend the reunion?
0 Replies

Galager

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:29 am
Google is crazy, I was looking for Namequoit, I knew it had closed shortly after I left, and came across this thread.

I went to Namequoit from '84 to '88. Don't really remember my bunks, Schooner was the first? I do remember the counselors though, Dan Zevon, Doug Kilzer, Sebastian something, Jason Chorches, (ran into him at U of Miami during freshman rush. Bloody Benny was great.

I remember being in the CJ for a capsize, that was a freakin mess. I still have all my archery and riflery patches somewhere. Pretty sure guns can't be found at any camps these days.

Does anyone else remember how good the onion rings were at the shack at the beach they used to take us to?
0 Replies

Sidecut

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:06 pm
Hey Van:

Drop me a line

[email protected]
0 Replies

ccfish

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:28 pm
I went to Namequoit from 1980 until it closed. I still have the old Jibe Ho newsletters that were sent out and all of the old cabin pictures. I heard they turned the area into high priced housing, but that's the way it is on the Cape.

Galager... refresh my memory, there were a lot of hazy moments at the U.
0 Replies

quonsetkate

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 08:32 am
Re: cape cod
dpf wrote:
Mr. Archery wrote:
SealPoet wrote:
Avalon...

Don't forget Camp Quanset. Avalon was further away.

worked namequoit '78 & '79 for the red head. put the car at avalon between the trees. went to the winter reunions/new years parties in D.C. & boston.

I went to Quonset summer of 70. Trying to find it on Google earth. Anyone remember the location? Whatever happened to the Tioga?
daysailor4

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:14 am
Quonsetkate-I think the address was Quanset Road South Orleans Mass.
0 Replies

Fredw

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:16 am
I attended Namequoit for one summer ('77) and lived in Leeward. I think one of my counselors was Dave Noble (?) I remember making Seaman 1st class by not quite getting to Bosun - too many other activities.

The Bloody Benny story sounds vaguely familiar...
0 Replies

lovesick alien

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 01:35 pm
Another Namequoit alum
Hello all-

My brother sent me a link to this site and I've just finished skimming the archives.

I was at Namequoit from 1968-1970. Camper the first two years [T-cabin & N-cabin] and CIT the last - in Q the first half and I can't remember the second.

Fondest memories of my life! I remember the CJ and the Thayers and Art Farnham [RIP, I imagine]. The year my dad died, I took a road trip back up to the Cape and got stuck in the snow on one of Namequoit's back roads. Good old AF showed up, and after I convinced him I was a former camper and not a trespasser, helped us get out.

Would LOVE to hear from others who attended during my years!

Best,

Nick in Florida
0 Replies

lovesick alien

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 01:44 pm
More Namequoit
PS:

Also had my first kiss at one of the many dances with the girls' camps. And the guy who used to re-tell all the wondeerful Ray Bradbury stories: his name was Chip - bless him for turning me into a sf / fantasy fan.

PPS: more great memories:

first time I ever heard Jethro Tull, and hearing "Honky Tonk Women" for the first time, and waking up to Mountain's "Mississippi Queen" blasting over someone's stereo.

PPPS: Art Maher pahking his cah in havahd yahd! The 'new' rec room - the moon landing on TV in the old rec room; hearing The Who 'Live At Leeds" for the first time. I could go on, but I won't!

PPPPs - Bob Gehorsam - my best friend - fallen off the face of the earth apparently.
0 Replies

debraswolf

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:21 pm
pleasant bay camp
Mark:
I remember PBC - Pleasant Bay Camp - I was a camper there for many summers in the 70's. It was located in S. Orleans, MA. I have been to the area recently - most of the camp is no longer there - new homes built on the site overlooking Little Pleansant Bay. The tennis court is still there and part of Main Deck is now part of a new home. Also, Nature Shack was still there too. I have no idea what happened to the owners - the Melchers (aka Captan Jim).
QuansetCamper

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 03:08 pm
from an old Quanset camper
I went to Quanset from 1955 - 1960. The first year I was the youngest and smallest camper they'd ever had. I was 5 years old and the regulation white shirts and shirts we had to wear on Sundays came iin sizes so big for me that I remember my Mother had to find substitutes that would be agreeable to Mr. and Mrs. Hammett. I remember the youngest campers were called Nimmies (sp?)

My brother was over at Viking. He went there from about 1950 - 1960, when he was a counselor there. He adored Ced--a real lifetime role model for him. My brother's name was Sandy Goebel, and his best friend at camp was Nick Shepherd (I think that was his name). My brother has since died, but he was a lifetime sailor thanks to Viking.

My maiden name was Nancy Goebel. My father had been a college friend of Philip Berg from Pittsburg, whose mother had a house on Pleasant Bay. The Berg daughters, Susan and Buffy, went to Quanset, and I think that must be how my parents decided I should go there. I remember one of my favorite counselors was Patsy Warner. Later, I would go to a girls' school in New York City that was also Patsy's old school.

They were wonderful years and sumers at Quanset. I loved that my older brother was just across Little Pleasant Bay in case I needed him.

My family moved to Europe in 1958, and I remember how anxious I was to get back to camp, but when we returned from Europe, I'd be away I think 2 consecutive summers, and new friendships had formed so that my old cabin mates had new alliances. I remember feeling left out because I'd missed all they referred to that had taken place at camp during the summers I wasn't there.

I am amazed to have found this site via Google. I've been thinking about Quanset this summer and here is this group. Amazing!
daysailor4

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:48 pm
Re: pleasant bay camp
debraswolf wrote:
Mark:
I remember PBC - Pleasant Bay Camp - I was a camper there for many summers in the 70's. It was located in S. Orleans, MA. I have been to the area recently - most of the camp is no longer there - new homes built on the site overlooking Little Pleansant Bay. The tennis court is still there and part of Main Deck is now part of a new home. Also, Nature Shack was still there too. I have no idea what happened to the owners - the Melchers (aka Captan Jim).

debraswolf,
I was a camper at PBC from 1967 to 1969 and a counsellor from 1972 to 1975. My brother and sister were also campers at PBC. They were amazing times. Were you there during these times? I remember how sad i was wehn i heard that the camp was closing. I did find Jim Meltcher on the net. He built a boat and sailed all oever the north atlantic and is now remarried and lving in Maine. If you remeber his son bart, he is living in Hawaii and I think peter is living in New Hamshire. I believe that Chuck is living in Washinton state. I love finding all the storiesa bout PBC and the other camps on here.
Daysailor
0 Replies

Hughwc

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 01:24 pm
debraswolf wrote:
Mark:

Debra:

I was also a camper at PBC 1970 to 1976. I recently found a website about Captain Jim and his new boat and the voyages he has taken. The link is http://atomvoyages.com/articles/Alert.htm. It seems he took some ideas from when he built the Triumph along with other designs.

I visited the area about 6 years ago and was dismayed at seeing what was left. I do have some good memories from there.
0 Replies

Sidecut

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:40 pm
Viking Reunion this weekend 8/4 anyone going
0 Replies

weescott

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:32 pm
First off reading everything here has brought back a flood of memories for me. I do know where Chuck Melcher is because my mother was married to him for some time. I was at PBC in 1977. My mother was the camp nurse and engage to Chuck at the time. I was only 6 years old then but I have great memories of PBC, Grampa Jim and Barb. My mother is no longer with now Chuck but we are still in contact with him. Every 3 years or so I do see him. He is living in Portland ME and doing great, as is Jim.
Thank you all for all of these great posts and letting my mind drift back 30 years to what was a very simple summer. Very Happy
0 Replies

Hughwc

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 01:23 am
Pleasant Bay Camp
Chuck was my cabin Counselor 1 year while I was at PBC. I believe it was when I was in the Whistler cabin.
0 Replies