an obscure medical question.

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:30 pm
suppose you are prescribed a number of medications for a variety of conditions and the prescription calls for "twice a day, morning and night" and you, out of habit take the meds at noon and midnight. would/could the efficacy of the meds be affected by the time of day/night that you take them rather than the 12 hours between dosages?

chai2

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:35 pm
no.
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:36 pm
Well, personally I don't see how the "time" you take them could have any effect but I'm no doctor. Perhaps there's something about the time in between taking each medication but I'm not sure.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:38 pm
what would it matter?
you took the pill in the past, which isn't real.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:39 pm
Yes.
I'd think your digestive system's condition is different at Noon and Midnight as opposed to say, 6AM and 6PM. Your physician can probably guide as to what time would best to take a particular medication.
I'm assuming you are taking these meds by mouth, injections and suppositories would need different handling.

Joe(especially the suppositories )Nation
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:42 pm
@chai2,
Indeed.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:46 pm
@dyslexia,
Obviously, Dys, the efficacy of the meds is completely different according to the time you take them.

The absorption by the body of their acting principle is dictated by the circadian rhythm.

I told this to at least one person on A2K advising on when and how to take a simple tablet. This person could acknowledge the difference it made from one day to another, having taken the said tablet at different times of the day.

Please check here:

Circadian Rhythm
littlek

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:48 pm
You should always take meds as prescribed! I know that medication is often time-released (allergy pills, insulin, etc). It may not mater, but it may matter significantly. A quick call to a pharmacy should help you figure out how important it is for a given medication.
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:54 pm
Well you look like an older guy to me, so chances are you're going to die soon anyway so don't worry about it. Why would you wanna keep living anyway? If you've been paying attention you'll notice that life isn't much fun to begin with so you migh as well just die, death might be fun! Who knows, you certaintly haven't done it before. And if you haven't been paying attention, well then you didn't deserve life in the first place.

Case closed.
Francis

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03:03 pm
@NAACP,
No!

Sometimes meds are taken in drops.

Hence the expression: drop dead. Take two drops, NAACP!
chai2

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03:06 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Obviously, Dys, the efficacy of the meds is completely different according to the time you take them.

The absorption by the body of their acting principle is dictated by the circadian rhythm.

I told this to at least one person on A2K advising on when and how to take a simple tablet. This person could acknowledge the difference it made from one day to another, having taken the said tablet at different times of the day.

Please check here:

Circadian Rhythm

I stand corrected Francis.

However, what about someone who naturally is up at night and sleeps during the day?
Would that make a difference?

Sorry dys, I was incorrect.
chai2

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03:07 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

No!

Sometimes meds are taken in drops.

Hence the expression: drop dead. Take two drops, NAACP!

thank you.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03:13 pm
@chai2,
Chai,

Your question is answered in the link I posted.

With a little experience of your own body reactions, you can track your circadian rhythm.

Let's say you have a migraine during the night.

That's almost useless to take a medication for that between 3 and 4:00 AM.

But if you take it by 8:00 AM, its efficacy is maximum, if you circadian rhythm is normal.

If it's delayed cause you don't sleep at night, experience will tell you how many hours delay you have...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 05:08 pm
dys, It might not matter for some meds, but I know that it matters for others. One of my doctors gave me a prescription. I mentioned that I'm up all night and sleep during the day. She changed the prescription and the instructions.
roger

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 05:16 pm
@Roberta,
I didn't know that. Regarding meals, though, I have had prescriptions with inserts specifically stating they were to be taken with meals, or stating it did not matter. If it isn't specified, I wonder if that means it just doesn't matter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:01 pm
I think it depends on the med. The eye drops for one of my eyes are to be taken when I wake up; that is before much activity, as for whatever reason when "you" are in the process of becoming active is the best time for that med to metabolize.

I had to ask about that timing, as I tend to wake up and read and then drop back to sleep, sometimes more than once.
The answer was that when I really get stirring for the day is the point I should use the drop in that eye.

Drops for other eye also contain that medication plus another, in one bottle. So, I take that on "stirring around the house" when ever I really get up, and again a drop in the evening before bedtime, basically anywhere from 12 - 15 hours past the first "morning" eyedrops. The second constituent in the compound eye drop doesn't need to be geared to the stage of my metabolism becoming active, so that night time drop is all about the second part of the compound.

Ya follow that?

Drip, drip, drip, drop, drop....

So, I figure you should ask your doctor, dys - because of your own patterns and what that might mean re metabolizing the pills.

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:03 pm
Keeping on a speciific schedule and taking the larger dose in the AM is the way that I had my BP brought unsder control. We cut my prescription in half and I take 1 pill only in AM.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:03 pm
@ossobuco,
the question isn't about me.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:06 pm
@dyslexia,
Wow, he must actually care for someone other than himself. When did that start?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:14 pm
@dyslexia,
All right, but the principle holds: it may be a simple twelve hour difference, re whatever time the person gets up, re the metabolism aspect, no matter how varied that is, or it may matter for some other reason that I can't quite figure. I am guessing though, from the wording of the question that it is probably the twelve hour difference used as a routine such as noon and midnight that matters - the consistency of that, rain or shine.

So - if a waking up metabolism matters, it can be a different answer that if one picks a twelve hour schedule and sticks with it no matter when one sleeps. So ask.