an obscure medical question.

dyslexia

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:24 pm
@ossobuco,
I am asking, that's what I'm doing here, that's as far as I can take it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:35 pm
@dyslexia,
Well, we don't know the nature of the medication. Perhaps the website for the drug will have a print out.
The one I take that should be taken on wake up may be unusual, and it may say that on the website that it be taken just after arising, whenever that is.

I said my guess, that consistency is the thing, say, noon and midnight, noon and midnight, ad infinitum. But I don't know that. The person's circadian rhythms/metabolism may matter re what time a pill is ingested. Just by the sound of the prescription, I'm guessing morning and night is fairly general - but guessing.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I looked up the website for my med, and thus followed pages and pages with no mention of taking it just after arising. But, I've been told to take it then by three ophthalmologists & eye surgeons. Thing is, if there was a preference for that kind of specific timing, one would think the md would explain that.

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10:14 pm
Dys, can you ask a pharmacist about this specific medication?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 03:02 am
@dyslexia,
Dys, we've talked about this before, but I want to express the importance of taking your medication at the same time every day, especially if you are on a regimen.
If you take a pill twice a day, in order to maintain an even level of medication, the pills should be taken at the same time each day, twelve hours apart.
It's just the same with aspirin, if you need to take aspirin for several days, by taking them at the same time, morning and evening, the pain you are feeling won't have a chance to come back too strongly because there was a delay between pill time.
For most medical problems, it only makes sense to keep the level of meds the same, especially when taking antibiotics--you don't want those little buggers having a chance to make a comeback when the medication gets lower than it should.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 11:05 am
@Diane,
Diane is right. When my physician prescribed pills to relieve my severe pain, she warned me to take the pill by the clock. Do not wait until the pain is back to take the pill.

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2010 11:37 am
@Diane,
Diane wrote:
If you take a pill twice a day, in order to maintain an even level of medication, the pills should be taken at the same time each day, twelve hours apart.

that's not necessarily true

among other variables, how you absorb the meds is not always consistent hour over hour

twice a day might mean with breakfast and dinner
it could mean at noon and before bedtime
it could mean every twelve hours
it could mean every twelve hours, starting at a specific point in time/activity

for most meds, it should be clarified with the doc/pharmacist - and it shouldn't be assumed that they know what your sleep/meal schedule is like - it is the patient's responsibility to ensure that the people prescribing/dispensing the medication understand your schedule
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 02:41 pm
If the person taking the pills is seriously interested in the answer, a call to his or her pharmacy will do the trick. Pharmacists usually love to answer questions about meds rather than just sticking a bunch in a bottle and selling them to you.
NAACP

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 02:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hahahaha can't say that I blame them either.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:55 pm
@dyslexia,
Some drugs have a minor sedative or tranquiliser additive or effect to them. Apart from that, it is irrelevant so long as they are taken at the correct spacing regularly. Even if they have those additives, you can still set your own pace but it may cause drowsiness whilst driving.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 11:00 pm
nearly every med I take says on the label "may cause drowsiness" or "may cause dizziness" (not that anyone would notice)
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 11:09 pm
@dyslexia,
I'm so glad you added that last part.

(you knew I would be there to assist you, right...?)
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 11:27 pm
@dyslexia,
If you are taking your meds when you awake and when you retire for the night, whenever that is, there shouldnt be too much of a problem. Research has shown there is a certain percentage of people who are night owls.....they are better if they sleep during the day and work of a night.....it has also shown some people are capable of very strange behaviour if they try to do that. If you are comfortable and happy then the meds will work better, just stick to the dose.
0 Replies