Victim of Child Abuse Beats Priest Who Abused Him

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:20 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
20 years ago : though the siblings received $625,000 in a 1998 confidential settlement with the Jesuits for alleged abuse by the priest.
Ionus wrote:

Why do you think they bothered if it didnt happen ?
RISK MANAGEMENT, on the advice of counsel.
That happens ALL the time, regardless.
Very, very ofen, litigants are emotional in digging in their heels,
then settle later, after a few trips to court. That is paradigmatic.
No surprize.
It seems unlikely that he told the Catholics: "yeah, I really did it."

Ionus wrote:
What was it about the trial to take place that convinced the Jesuits to settle out of court ?
Its usually UNPREDICTABILITY. When I encouraged settlements,
I always argued that the litigants can control the results themselves, IF thay settle.

There r also fewer days of disgrace (the allegations), in the media.

David
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:26 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Two kids who were 4 and 7 were in no position to render a decision for the "ndiclosed settlement".

this was not settled when they were children. it was settled when they were in their 30's. Were they not in a position to make a decision in their 30's? that would seem a very condescending view.

if they were incompetent in their 30's, the courts would not have settled the case with them. they were apparently determined to be competent (and were clearly competent enough to initiate and pursue a court case of some duration) by the courts.

it is now Lynch's turn to be judged by the courts for his actions.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:31 am
brings to mind a case assigned to my child protection unit, we had a police officer, a older/experienced police officer, a detective whose purpose was to function as a liaison between the child protection team and the city police department. I saw him most every day and he was actively involved in many of our investigations. We relied on him for police support. He was always very helpful. We received a report from a medical doctor about a young 6 year old girl the doctor suspected of having been sexually abused. We investigated and discovered evidence, good evidence that this child and her sister had been repeatedly sexually abused as well as a history reported by the mother of this child that she and her sister had experienced similar abuse as children. The perp was identified as the father/grandfather of the victims. The perp was our in-house police officer. The case was presented to both the police department and the D.A.'s office. We received verbal notice (nothing in writing) that the child protection team was to close the case as "unfounded." No charges were ever filed. The police officer was "retired" and forced to relocate to a nearby city. end of story.
JPB

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:31 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well said, Finn.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:43 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
if they were incompetent in their 30's, the courts would not have settled the case with them. they were apparently determined to be competent (and were clearly competent enough to initiate and pursue a court case of some duration) by the courts.
I doubt very much that this case was ever adjudicated by a criminal court but rather was a civil or "out of court" settlement.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:49 am
I have to amend my post. I did not know the guy was over thirty when they settled.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 09:52 am
@dyslexia,
It may well be different in the U.S. (though my experience tells me it is not), but in Canada you must be competent to settle a civil case.

Civil cases can take upwards of 3 - 5 years to settle from date of issue of statement of claim.

I've got some on my desk which started in 2002/2003. Some in U.S. jurisdictions, some in Canadian.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 11:53 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
It may well be different in the U.S. (though my experience tells me it is not), but in Canada you must
be competent to settle a civil case.

Civil cases can take upwards of 3 - 5 years to settle from date of issue of statement of claim.

I've got some on my desk which started in 2002/2003. Some in U.S. jurisdictions, some in Canadian.
I take it that u r a Canadian lawyer ?

In some jurisdictions, e.g. NY, the court decides whether a settlement is reasonable in an infant's case in tort,
and accepts it or rejects the settlement, taking into consideration the probability of proving liability.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 12:07 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
brings to mind a case assigned to my child protection unit, we had a police officer, a older/experienced police officer, a detective whose purpose was to function as a liaison between the child protection team and the city police department. I saw him most every day and he was actively involved in many of our investigations. We relied on him for police support. He was always very helpful. We received a report from a medical doctor about a young 6 year old girl the doctor suspected of having been sexually abused. We investigated and discovered evidence, good evidence that this child and her sister had been repeatedly sexually abused as well as a history reported by the mother of this child that she and her sister had experienced similar abuse as children. The perp was identified as the father/grandfather of the victims. The perp was our in-house police officer. The case was presented to both the police department and the D.A.'s office. We received verbal notice (nothing in writing) that the child protection team was to close the case as "unfounded." No charges were ever filed. The police officer was "retired" and forced to relocate to a nearby city. end of story.
A friend of mine is a psychiatrist, of many years seniority,
who once said to me:
"David, anyone who u think is NOT crazy is just someone who u don 't KNOW well enuf."

Indeed, he proved this by confiding to me his own suicidal ideation,
resulting from his financial stress of the time, but that was in 1988
and he 's re-married and had more children, written more books,
so I believe that he 's OK by now.

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 10:57 pm
Good.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
In Oz,the main criteria is to make sure the injuring has stopped and any assesment is likely to cover the final extent of the injury. About 3 years for most major claims (without stalling).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 08:15 am
@ehBeth,
An attorney is quite competent at trying to force settlement for his client all the time. I didnt know that the settlement wasnt until Lynch was in his 30's. However, that doesnt change things. The kid suffered for all his life and then deciede that settlement would perhaps put it behind and found later (10 years or more) that it wasnt a satisying outcome.
I am sure that Lynch will have to answer under the law but I wonder whether he will shut out the result of his action as hes seen a resolution that was more suitable to him than was the "Settlement" (Which, in the ones Ive been involved in were more a suitable remuneration for attornies and consultants).
It was an act of revenge on the priest who fucked up Lynch's entire life. Lets not be quick to give the priest an innocent "victm" pass on this. Had the priest been a NAzi war criminal we would have applauded bringing him to justice with some finality.

The settlement didnt have enough finality for Lynch.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 08:44 am
@farmerman,
Lynch has been charged with assault and battery, he entered no plea, he was released on $10,0000 bond. His attorney says he will enter not guilty and says his intent is to rally public support as well as attract media attention to the priest and the church.
Ionus

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 08:53 am
@dyslexia,
Quit hogging all the pod.

Obviously it was never about the money he got from the church. No-one who is confortably well off risks throwing away everything to get revenge. I hope beating the snot out of the disgusting batsard gives him some peace.

I wonder why it is that they defrock priests for disagreeing with the Pope but not for rapeing children ? Anyone know what happened to that case where they were trying to serve warrants to the Pope for complicity ? Where was that ? England ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 09:07 am
@farmerman,
WHAT HAPPENED
TO THE PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE?

Is that un-P.C.
??

farmerman wrote:
An attorney is quite competent at trying to force settlement for his client all the time.
A litigant 's trial attorney knows the weaknesses in his case. He can estimate his client's chance of winning.

He is supposed to give his counsel to his client.

farmerman wrote:
I didnt know that the settlement wasnt until Lynch was in his 30's. However, that doesnt change things. The kid suffered for all his life and then deciede that settlement would perhaps put it behind and found later (10 years or more) that it wasnt a satisying outcome.
I am sure that Lynch will have to answer under the law but I wonder whether he will shut out the result of his action as hes seen a resolution that was more suitable to him than was the "Settlement" (Which, in the ones Ive been involved in were more a suitable remuneration for attornies and consultants).
It was an act of revenge on the priest who fucked up Lynch's entire life. Lets not be quick to give the priest an innocent "victm" pass on this.
Had the priest been a NAzi war criminal we would have applauded bringing him to justice with some finality.

farmerman wrote:
The settlement didnt have enough finality for Lynch.
Woud there have been enuf finality if the priest had died under Lynch's hand ?
His survival was a matter of luck.

Farmer,
is it OK with u if a PSYCHO beats u to death in front of your wife,
ON CONDITION that when u r rotting in your grave, he accuses u of child molestation ??????

or of helping the nazis or the commies ?

David
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Many lawyers think of our justice system as a methodolgy to enhance their revenue.

As far as presumption of innocence, we arent bound by any such rules here
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:25 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
Lynch has been charged with assault and battery, he entered no plea, he was released on $10,0000 bond. His attorney says he will enter not guilty and says his intent is to rally public support as well as attract media attention to the priest and the church.
I think that this has been on his mind for many a year, and hes finally deceided to act on it. I truly believe he understands the consequences and hes using the old "civil disobedience" ploy to make his point, (maybe ramped up a bit).

So far the Catholic church hasnt suffered anything for these atrocities on innocent kids. They are sort of like the tobacco companies whove feigned innocense for years and then bought thir ways out of any criminal charges.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:39 am
It's unfortunate that this event draws attention to priests/catholic church when statistics overwhelming reveal that the vast majority of cases of child abuse/sexual abuse are by family/close relatives/neighbors/family fiends. Not saying that priests/religious institutions are blameless, just that the focus needs to be on the primary perpetrators.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:56 am
@farmerman,
David wrote:

farmerman wrote:
Many lawyers think of our justice system as a methodolgy to enhance their revenue.
Yeah n many people think it gets dark at nite.

farmerman wrote:
As far as presumption of innocence, we arent bound by any such rules here
Yeah, have it YOUR way.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 12:00 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
It's unfortunate that this event draws attention to priests/catholic church when statistics overwhelming reveal that the vast majority of cases of child abuse/sexual abuse are by family/close relatives/neighbors/family fiends.

Not saying that priests/religious institutions are blameless, just that the focus needs to be on the primary perpetrators.
Call me a bigot, but I think those FIENDS r the worst.

David
0 Replies